Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 collection for sale, what should I do? Photos added (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=336010)

biggies 05-28-2023 07:39 PM

T206 collection for sale, what should I do? Photos added

So I am pretty sure I have a set including all but the big 5 AND I am pretty sure my Cobb green portrait is fake, Tolstoi back which doesn't exist, so 6 short.
Thinking of selling it, best advice?

bb

G1911 05-28-2023 07:41 PM

Make sure the other big ones are real. If it's a non-existent back that it is the give away you might want to get some second opinions on the other stars.

Eric72 05-28-2023 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggies (Post 2343634)
So I am pretty sure I have a set including all but the big 5 AND I am pretty sure my Cobb green portrait is fake, Tolstoi back which doesn't exist, so 6 short.

bb

Option 1: Ideally, get the HOFers graded by PSA or SGC. The number of prospective buyers will increase, as will prices realized. Start with the three Cobb cards and the portraits of WaJo and Matty, at the very least.

Option 2: Have a reputable auction house look over the key cards. If they're confident these are real, the AH should be able to work with you to maximize hammer prices.

Option 3: Post pictures here of the Cobbs, Mattys, WaJos, and Demmitt/O'Hara (St. Louis). I'm pretty sure you'll get opinions regarding authenticity, as well as offers to buy, in very short order.

3-2-count 05-28-2023 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2343639)
Option 1: Ideally, get the HOFers graded by PSA or SGC. The number of prospective buyers will increase, as will prices realized. Start with the three Cobb cards and the portraits of WaJo and Matty, at the very least.

Option 2: Have a reputable auction house look over the key cards. If they're confident these are real, the AH should be able to work with you to maximize hammer prices.

Option 3: Post pictures here of the Cobbs, Mattys, WaJos, and Demmitt/O'Hara (St. Louis). I'm pretty sure you'll get opinions regarding authenticity, as well as offers to buy, in very short order.

What Eric said! Ditto……

swarmee 05-28-2023 08:16 PM

Take them to the National in a few months.

Leon 05-29-2023 08:01 AM

Quote:

bb

Find someone to authenticate them first, not necessarily a TPG, but someone who focuses on them....as in a ton of our members. If you can post some decent scans you will get good feedback here. Good luck!

biggies 05-29-2023 08:31 AM

Thanks for all the input

biggies 05-29-2023 08:57 AM

10 Attachment(s)
pics

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-29-2023 09:29 AM

I'm a little concerned about the Wajo portrait.

Pat R 05-29-2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

bb

You should probably have someone that knows T206's take a look at them. Just looking at the pictures you posted the Cobb (bat on), Matty (white cap) Covaleski, Cobb (green portrait), Cy Young (glove shows) and Jonson (portrait) are not original T206's.

parkplace33 05-29-2023 10:36 AM

Consign to a major auction house. Don’t break up and sell individually, total pain. Let the ah do the work for you.

Ronnie73 05-29-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2343728)
I'm a little concerned about the Wajo portrait.

Me too. Has that grainy look, like many other fakes.

Depending on how quick you are looking to sell, I would list them as singles either here or on one of the main facebook groups. You would probably make the most and not have any fee's. The very low and damaged HOF cards, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money to grade them, since they are binder card condition, and will likely just get cracked out again. The major HOF cards and rarities you could grade or not grade. But I'd only grade if I thought the card would get a 2 or higher.

mrreality68 05-29-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2343744)
Consign to a major auction house. Don’t break up and sell individually, total pain. Let the ah do the work for you.

+1 agree

ibechillin33 05-29-2023 10:52 AM

That green back Cobb is as fake as a fake could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skelly423 05-29-2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibechillin33 (Post 2343749)
That green back Cobb is as fake as a fake could be

Unfortunately, as others have already mentioned, so is your Walter Johnson portrait.

brianp-beme 05-29-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2343739)
You should probably have someone that knows T206's take a look at them. Just looking at the pictures you posted the Cobb (bat on), Matty (white cap) Covaleski, Cobb (green portrait), Cy Young (glove shows) and Jonson (portrait) are not original T206's.

I agree with Pat, except I believe the Covaleski looks original to me.

Brian

Ronnie73 05-29-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2343776)
I agree with Pat, except I believe the Covaleski looks original to me.

Brian

After seeing your post, I went back and looked again, since I only looked at the Johnson Portrait because of the earlier mention, and yes, Pat is likely right, but that Covaleski is 50/50. I'd have to have it in hand or figure out the back picture to be sure.

Louisville_Hugger 05-29-2023 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 2343778)
After seeing your post, I went back and looked again, since I only looked at the Johnson Portrait because of the earlier mention, and yes, Pat is likely right, but that Covaleski is 50/50. I'd have to have it in hand or figure out the back picture to be sure.

Curious what you guys are seeing with the Cobb bat on makes you think it isn’t original? The others are pretty obvious, but I wouldn’t have picked out that bat on as a fake……that said I’m still learning about the set and am a novice at best.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-29-2023 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2343739)

I shoulda looked more carefully, Milkman Young and White Cap Matty Jump out at you. I'd like to see the Cobb Bat On in hand. The name on the Covaleskie looks awfully black. OP did know that the Green Cobb was no good.

rand1com 05-29-2023 02:54 PM

I would break it with an auction house that would sell most of the cards individually.

That won't happen with the major auction houses but some of the legitimate smaller ones would be willing to break it. Obviously, they will most likely want to lot up the cards that have parts missing into a large lot but any complete cards that are authentic could be sold individually.

With the unauthentic cards mentioned by others being some of the high dollar cards in the set, I don't think selling the group as a partial set makes sense from a value standpoint. There are too many very low grade cards based on your pictures if they represent the set overall.

You should be able to get favorable seller fees of perhaps 0 with a smaller auction house because even in low grade, over 500 T206 cards have decent value.

If you sell them on your own, I would grade the HOFERS that would grade 2 or above and probably the high dollar cards even if only 1 or authentic.

Good luck with the near set.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-29-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2343807)
I would break it with an auction house that would sell most of the cards individually.

That won't happen with the major auction houses but some of the legitimate smaller ones would be willing to break it. Obviously, they will most likely want to lot up the cards that have parts missing into a large lot but any complete cards that are authentic could be sold individually.

With the unauthentic cards mentioned by others being some of the high dollar cards in the set, I don't think selling the group as a partial set makes sense from a value standpoint. There are too many very low grade cards based on your pictures if they represent the set overall.

You should be able to get favorable seller fees of perhaps 0 with a smaller auction house because even in low grade, over 500 T206 cards have decent value.

If you sell them on your own, I would grade the HOFERS that would grade 2 or above and probably the high dollar cards even if only 1 or authentic.

Good luck with the near set.

Want a job? LOL well said.

yanks87 05-29-2023 04:02 PM

All that said.....

Auction house is probably your best bet. Especially with how prices are going, invest in the grading of your blue chip cards to maximize your payout.

That said, if you want to know where some of your cards are going, while making a lot of friends here on the board, open it up to the group, at least you'll know they are staying "in the family."

That said that said, I'm only 55 cards away from finishing off my T206 set and would be happy to send my list over..... HA!!

FrankWakefield 05-30-2023 08:09 AM

You have reached a point where you NEED a black light. You can find several options on Amazon, and have it in hand in 2 or 3 days. They are inexpensive.

If you send the cards to an auction house, you'll always wonder about the green Cobb, the Johnson portrait, and a few others. If any of them fluoresce when illuminated with a black light, then you will see that yourself, rather than trust others. A black light will cost you between about $8 and $28... and the results aren't iffy... You can shine uv light on one of those sheets in a dark room (doesn't have to be total darkness), the real cards will look dull, the reprints will blaze with purple light.

Get a black light.

Green Cobb isn't right. It'll either fluoresce, bright purple, or if it doesn't then it's the result of skinning real cards and putting pieces together. To me, from the pics, at least the front will fluoresce, and probably the back, too.

biggies 05-30-2023 01:26 PM

Thanks

Bpm0014 05-30-2023 02:10 PM

I see multiple fakes in there. I don't think you necessarily need a black light. You need to study the cards and know what you are buying. I've held thousands and never used a blacklight.

FrankWakefield 05-30-2023 07:11 PM

But he hasn't, and he does need a black light because of that lack of experience.

Eric72 05-30-2023 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 2344023)
...You need to study the cards and know what you are buying...

Bingo. This is important on several levels, such as: spotting fakes; detecting alterations; handling the cards without causing damage; knowing how much to offer.