Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who do you guys miss? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319585)

wolf441 05-13-2022 05:47 PM

Who do you guys miss?

I've been pulling a lot of archive posts lately and it made me realize how many good guys we've lost over the last ten years.

So, my question is: Whose name do you miss seeing here under new posts?

I miss Jantz, always had great insights on the T206 set and was always a gentleman in any interactions that I had with him.

sportscardpete 05-13-2022 05:49 PM

Rob D - behind the scenes he was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I also found his posts humorous.

Al C.risafulli 05-13-2022 06:14 PM

Jim Blumenthal. One of my favorite people ever in the hobby, a great friend and an early supporter of LOTG.

Chris Stufflestreet. Super knowledgeable (and he let you know it), and incredibly friendly and generous with his knowledge.

I miss both of those guys terribly.

-Al

egri 05-13-2022 06:14 PM

Adam Moraine, but I assume he's retired young to an estate in Greenwich by now. :D

In all seriousness, I missed Jim Stinson during his retirement, and I'm glad he's back now. He was (and is) a wealth of knowledge, and helped me plug some very difficult holes in my signed 1953 Topps set.

Exhibitman 05-13-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli (Post 2224616)
Jim Blumenthal. One of my favorite people ever in the hobby, a great friend and an early supporter of LOTG.

Chris Stufflestreet. Super knowledgeable (and he let you know it), and incredibly friendly and generous with his knowledge.

-Al

Ditto.

perezfan 05-13-2022 06:50 PM

Mike Hoevet:
He passed away far too soon, but left an indelible impression on the memorabilia side. Smart collector, amazing family man, and simply one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Jimmy Catanzaro (i.e. The King of Clout):
Just a stellar guy and a great contributor to the forum. Among the very first collectors here who specialized in Type 1 Photos. He had an equally impressive Beatles collection, and is another who passed away too soon.

Rob D:
Still alive :) He has a fantastic Indians/LaJoie collection with expertise on both cards and memorabilia. Nobody does sarcasm quite like Rob... a sharp sense of humor and impeccable taste. Not afraid to tell it like it is.... really miss him here.

Peter_Spaeth 05-13-2022 07:08 PM

What happened to Wonka? I don't think he's banned as Rob D is, but I could be wrong.

I liked Clayton (teetwoohsix) but he just stopped posting years ago, not sure if something happened to him.

Kawika 05-13-2022 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anthony Stephenson. Passed in 2014, just 47 years old. A sweet fellow, funniest guy on Net54. Can't look at an Obak without thinking about him.

Leon 05-14-2022 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2224632)
What happened to Wonka? I don't think he's banned as Rob D is, but I could be wrong.

I liked Clayton (teetwoohsix) but he just stopped posting years ago, not sure if something happened to him.

Both (Wonka and Rob D) are banned.

As far as who I miss. Jim B....was one of my fave guys in the hobby.

brianp-beme 05-14-2022 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 2224672)
Anthony Stephenson. Passed in 2014, just 47 years old. A sweet fellow, funniest guy on Net54. Can't look at an Obak without thinking about him.

He had a wonderful sense of humor, and was way too young to go. I can't remember his Net54 ID, but if someone does I would love to go back through some of his posts, as I know it would make me smile.

Brian

Kawika 05-14-2022 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2224676)
I can't remember his Net54 ID, but if someone does . . .

His old posts are a hoot. He went back on the Board long enough ago to also have posted as Archive.

BobC 05-14-2022 12:55 AM

I miss posts by Barry Sloate and Julie Vognar, both great people and great sources of info on the forum.

And I'll probably get crap for this, but I actually miss the Bruces. Many of his posts were so far out, they were in. LOL Entertaining as hell at least.

How can you not love posts by someone always referring to themselves in the third-person, and who can get so upset as to threaten to sue someone for what they posted, without realizing he was the poster he was threatening to go after and sue. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

mrvster 05-14-2022 01:37 AM

plus one

to all the above!!

especially Jantz......

really miss them all:(

Rich Klein 05-14-2022 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2224680)
I miss posts by Barry Sloate and Julie Vognar, both great people and great sources of info on the forum.

And I'll probably get crap for this, but I actually miss the Bruces. Many of his posts were so far out, they were in. LOL Entertaining as hell at least.

How can you not love posts by someone always referring to themselves in the third-person, and who can get so upset as to threaten to sue someone for what they posted, without realizing he was the poster he was threatening to go after and sue. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

The funniest thing about the "Bruces" was I once posted in a thread how much I missed his posts and unknown to me, that post hit the very day he was reinstated to Net 54. Had to explain to a couple of people it was just a coincidence and nothing more. But the threat of Bruce suing himself was the classic post of all time. You know, that guy Archive was a funny fellow

tedzan 05-14-2022 06:02 AM

I miss these 5 guys.....

Jantz Morey

Jim Blumenthal

Barry Arnold

Barry Sloate

John McDaniel (Wonkaticket)

TED Z

T206 Reference

Northviewcats 05-14-2022 06:23 AM

I miss the posts of all of these gentlemen. The one I miss the most is Jantz. I sat next to him at dinner at Nationals and he was remarkably kind. Tragic that he passed away so young.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 2224702)
I miss these 5 guys.....

Jantz Morey

Jim Blumenthal

Barry Arnold

Barry Sloate

John McDaniel (Wonkaticket)

TED Z

T206 Reference

ALBB 05-14-2022 06:24 AM

miss

That " bring the noiszze ": dude ... Marvin? Marlin ? was it ?

jingram058 05-14-2022 06:44 AM

"Walter" of Vendor's Mall in Charleston. When he took his vast collection to an auction house when he retired for good in the 1995 time frame, he left me a paper grocery sack filled with t205, CJ, Goudey, Play Ball, Topps and Bowman cards, and many others. Stars, and semis only. Almost all I still have. How can you ever thank someone for that?

carlsonjok 05-14-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

J

Chris was generous with more than just his knowledge. Even today, I don't have a particularly deep network in the hobby, but I was pretty much flying solo when I first got back into the hobby in 2011. I found Chris' want list through OBC and I had a few cards he needed (1978 BK Yankees, if memory serves), so I worked out small trade. Early in 2012, I got laid off and was feeling sorry for myself in the middle of a job search. A package arrived in the mail from Chris containing a huge number of 1976 Topps cards towards the set build I put on hold while I was out of work. Completely unsolicited and with no strings attached.

I managed to land a new gig, but Chris passed away in September of that year and before I could ever return the favor. Since then, although too infrequently, I've tried to pay his generosity forward. As Emerson said:

"In the order of nature we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody."

Seven 05-14-2022 07:46 AM

It's always interesting to see the history behind many of the posters here on the board. I'll occasionally peruse the archives myself, just to see what things were like 10, 15 years ago.

On that subject, I hope everyone here, stays in good health and is living a happy life!

edjs 05-14-2022 08:30 AM

Brian Campf, and his Sporting Oregon website is one of a few guys I miss.

parkplace33 05-14-2022 08:50 AM

Kevin M? :D

FrankWakefield 05-14-2022 08:52 AM

I would like to still be seeing new posts from...

Barry Sloate
Joe Pelaez
Jim Blumenthal
Julie Vognar
Barry Arnold
Jantz Morey

All were part of what is good about the board.

Three card mavens come to mind, once in a while I wonder about something and would like to hear their thinking on the matter: Bill Haber, Bob Lemke and Lionel Carter.

docpatlv 05-14-2022 08:55 AM

Rob D…good guy, great collection, made me laugh

brianp-beme 05-14-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 2224679)
His old posts are a hoot. He went back on the Board long enough ago to also have posted as Archive.

Thanks David...you have just given me the gift of an hour or two of his slightly off-kilter but gentle humor.

Brian

Peter_Spaeth 05-14-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2224673)
Both (Wonka and Rob D) are banned.

As far as who I miss. Jim B....was one of my fave guys in the hobby.

Oh OK I thought when I checked Wonka's ID a while ago it didn't show him as banned but so be it.

Pat R 05-14-2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2224767)
Oh OK I thought when I checked Wonka's ID a while ago it didn't show him as banned but so be it.

I didn't think he was banned either Peter, I thought he sold everything (hobby related) and is no longer in the hobby.

egri 05-14-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2224784)
I didn't think he was banned either Peter, I thought he sold everything (hobby related) and is no longer in the hobby.

From looking at his profile and post history, his profile doesn't show banned, but it does look like he was put in the penalty box several years ago and that was the end of his posting here.

Leon 05-14-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 2224790)
From looking at his profile and post history, his profile doesn't show banned, but it does look like he was put in the penalty box several years ago and that was the end of his posting here.

He is now banned and I thought he already was. There were about 5 longtime members, him included, that were shown the door right after I sold my first collection. I think they were all shown the door within a few days of each other. IMO, every one needed to go, no regrets whatsoever. And a few more could actually get shown the door too for how they treated me when I sold my collection. There is one more that really needs to go. It could still happen.

oldjudge 05-14-2022 02:23 PM

Without trying to differentiate between on the board and off the board, I miss my chats with Bloomy, Keith Mitchell, Lew Lipset, Barry Sloate, and Joe Pelaez. Most of you have probably never heard of Keith, but he was an hobby pioneer who helped me immensely when I started collecting Old Judges. I miss him.

BeanTown 05-14-2022 02:35 PM

I miss Bob Lemke. A wealth of information and didn’t mind sharing it. How is Lew Lipset doing, haven’t heard his name in awhile.

steve B 05-14-2022 02:38 PM

I miss pretty much all of them, including the banned ones, and the ones banned for being bizarrely scammy.
Did some of them annoy the ____ out of me? Of course, some here still do. But that's people, and I wouldn't change it if I could.

When I finally decided to join it was largely because I saw a few names I knew from ads over the years, who were guys I was sure knew some stuff. Like Barry Sloate.

Dewey 05-14-2022 02:50 PM

+1.

King of Clout's posts were a major inspiration to start my Type 1 photo collection.

Quote:

Jimmy Catanzaro (i.e. The King of Clout):
Just a stellar guy and a great contributor to the forum. Among the very first collectors here who specialized in Type 1 Photos. He had an equally impressive Beatles collection, and is another who passed away too soon.

JollyElm 05-14-2022 03:18 PM

This thread makes my heart cry.

ALR-bishop 05-14-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2224621)
Ditto.

+ 2

atx840 05-14-2022 06:11 PM

Agreed, really miss Jim Blumenthal and Jantz, both fantastic collectors and people. Very fortunate to have met both at shows over the years and have had some great conversations.

BobC 05-14-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2224682)
The funniest thing about the "Bruces" was I once posted in a thread how much I missed his posts and unknown to me, that post hit the very day he was reinstated to Net 54. Had to explain to a couple of people it was just a coincidence and nothing more. But the threat of Bruce suing himself was the classic post of all time. You know, that guy Archive was a funny fellow

That is so true Rich. If there was ever a thread started about the Mt. Rushmore of Net54 posts, that would be my #1 nomination. LOL

timn1 05-14-2022 07:42 PM

+1000 on both those guys

Ah, you guys beat me to it - I loved the way that Archive could always get the Bruces worked up.

Quote:

-Al

Rich Klein 05-14-2022 07:59 PM

I had to look for it before walking the dogs

But here is the Bruce's offering to sue Archives which still brings a smile to us in a strange way.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...+archive+bruce

Rich

BobC 05-14-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2224948)
But here is the Bruce offering to sue Archives which still brings a smile to us in a strange way.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...+archive+bruce

Rich

That is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should lobby Leon to put that in the Net54 Archive Center. It could have its own section - Greatest Net54 post of all time!

FrankWakefield 05-14-2022 09:01 PM

I remembered Bruce and Bruce... maybe one was with the GAI 'Authentication' and the other was with the GAI 'Authority'...

I confess that I'd totally forgotten his use of "we" and "our"... or should I say their use of those plural forms?

Rich Klein 05-15-2022 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2224964)
I remembered Bruce and Bruce... maybe one was with the GAI 'Authentication' and the other was with the GAI 'Authority'...

I confess that I'd totally forgotten his use of "we" and "our"... or should I say their use of those plural forms?

And the usage, always correctly, of the word, Whilst.

irishdenny 05-15-2022 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
*Mr. Jim was the kindest fellow that i Nevar met (JimB)!
We had quite a few phone conversations about various topics...

Simply put... He was my friend :)

One of his Iconic Cards:

parkplace33 05-15-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2224817)
He is now banned and I thought he already was. There were about 5 longtime members, him included, that were shown the door right after I sold my first collection. I think they were all shown the door within a few days of each other. IMO, every one needed to go, no regrets whatsoever. And a few more could actually get shown the door too for how they treated me when I sold my collection. There is one more that really needs to go. It could still happen.

Leon, Is there a post about this? I am somewhat new so don’t know what happened when you sold.

irishdenny 05-15-2022 05:51 PM

And in the event there is humor in the Air!?!?

* I would welcome back Peter Chao in a NY minute :)

Peter_Spaeth 05-15-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishdenny (Post 2225224)
And in the event there is humor in the Air!?!?

* I would welcome back Peter Chao in a NY minute :)

He had at least two posts/threads that IMO easily surpassed Bruce's, one on Joe Jackson and one on the Virginia Tech shooting. In the end, he did need to be banned, but his entertainment value was off the charts.

Rich Klein 05-15-2022 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;2225237]He had at least two posts/threads that IMO easily surpassed Bruce's, one on Joe Jackson and one on the Virginia Tech shooting. In the end, he did need to be banned, but his entertainment value was off the charts.[/QUOTE

I follow Peter on LinkedIn and there is no issues at all with him on that platform. I think he was, if anything, too enthusiastic for all of us

Rich

irishdenny 05-15-2022 06:48 PM

I not aware of ole' Pete being banned...

we jus thought he went away ~

Peter_Spaeth 05-15-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishdenny (Post 2225250)
I not aware of ole' Pete being banned...

we jus thought he went away ~

I'm pretty sure...

Yoda 05-16-2022 01:24 PM

Although many would say he was the most obnoxious creature who ever crawled, and there is some truth to that, Alan Rosen personalized the hobby and made it sort of sexy. His self-promotion brought hordes of new or resurgent collectors into the hobby. I often wonder what he would make of this market.
Anybody heard anything from or about Zubes, Rosen's Sancho Panza, recently?