Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Any wristwatch enthusiasts here? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=332810)

Rad_Hazard 03-11-2023 11:24 PM

Any wristwatch enthusiasts here?

2 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if anyone else is a fan of automatic/mechanical and/or even quartz or solar watches (anything non-smart). I enjoy researching the movements and different styles/features of some of the nicer watches on the market. I don’t have anything crazy, but my favorite watches are Hamilton. They have a nice US pedigree (started in PA in 1892, but moved all production to Switzerland in the 2000’s). My favorite color is green so over the last year I’ve picked up a couple of nice green Hamilton watches, the 42mm Khaki Titanium, and the Intramatic Automatic Chronograph (stock photos).

egri 03-12-2023 05:06 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d282ea97_b.jpg

I picked this up when I promoted a couple of years ago. It's out of commission right now because I dropped it a while back. It's an Omega Medicus from 1938. When I get back, I'll get it fixed and upgrade the strap. I'd like to pick up a Rolex from around that time as well, I just haven't been able to find one I like yet.

2dueces 03-12-2023 05:15 AM

I’ll post some pictures when I’m in town. Watches to me are like shoes to women. Never saw I watch I didn’t like and had to buy.

mrreality68 03-12-2023 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2dueces (Post 2322784)
I’ll post some pictures when I’m in town. Watches to me are like shoes to women. Never saw I watch I didn’t like and had to buy.

Sadly you are right. I have over 20 pairs and truly do not need them all. I also have an early WW1 trench watch which does work.( the band has been replace) and it is an Omega. I will have to pull out to get some pictures

ibuysportsephemera 03-12-2023 08:26 AM

Love Watches

My current rotation is:

Rolex Sea-Dweller
Omega Seamaster
Tag Auqaracer with Pepsi Bezel and Cyclops
Oris Diver

Jeff G.

mrreality68 03-12-2023 10:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a few of my watches that I wear the most

Peter_Spaeth 03-12-2023 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My favorite is probably my Omega Speedy Pro. I do like this watch a lot though, from a Hong Kong boutique, IMO extremely well made for almost no money.

bnorth 03-12-2023 12:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seriously thinking about buying one of these. Not sure what one yet.

Rad_Hazard 03-12-2023 12:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2322869)
My favorite is probably my Omega Speedy Pro. I do like this watch a lot though, from a Hong Kong boutique, IMO extremely well made for almost no money.

I’m loving all of these watches!

Peter, that is an excellent bargain movement. Sea-Gull 1901. It has ties back to the Japanese military around 1963. I have a couple in different styles myself.

My 2 42mm Sapphire versions of the 1901, my Seiko 5 Sports cement, and my Montana Tree Ring quartz watch (https://treeringpens.com). The guy who makes them has a workshop nearby that I was able to pick it up from. I’m in the process of swapping it to a brown apple leather strap which hasn’t arrived yet. (https://holbensfinewatchbands.com/pr...39286162391174)

Peter_Spaeth 03-12-2023 12:56 PM

In a world still dominated by Swiss snob appeal, the Asian movements and watches don't really get their due.

Rad_Hazard 03-12-2023 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2322895)
In a world still dominated by Swiss snob appeal, the Asian movements and watches don't really get their due.

I completely agree. Seiko and Seagull have a ton of history and some workhorse movements all under $250, some even less than that.

While I like Omega, Rolex, etc as much as the next guy (I plan on owning a Seamaster at some point), my favorite Swiss brand is Hamilton. I really like the tie back in to the US as they were founded in PA, but their designs are really what get me.

frankbmd 03-12-2023 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dad had a Seamaster (circa 1950) that I gave to my oldest son. It was repaired at some cost, which I split with him and it has been working fine since then. He loves it.

I had one of the first Bulova tuning fork watches with the see through or no face. I wore it for over 20 years.

No one has posted an Illinois Railroad watch yet, so here you go.

Attachment 562193

Peter_Spaeth 03-12-2023 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2322897)
I completely agree. Seiko and Seagull have a ton of history and some workhorse movements all under $250, some even less than that.

While I like Omega, Rolex, etc as much as the next guy (I plan on owning a Seamaster at some point), my favorite Swiss brand is Hamilton. I really like the tie back in to the US as they were founded in PA, but their designs are really what get me.

I don't own any but the Miyota (Citizen) movements are supposed to be very good for their price point.

mrreality68 03-13-2023 04:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are my 2 Vintage Omegas

lampertb 03-13-2023 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2322895)

Nevertheless, I personally am partial to Michel Jordi watches.

Bestdj777 03-13-2023 12:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few of my favorites. I replaced the aftermarket diamond bezel on the blue faced Datejust with a factory bezel but don’t have a good picture of it after it was fixed. The trench is from 1916, was one of those odd Canadian-Rolex import situations (it is marked Rolex in the case but have a different brand on the dial), and likely belonged to a WWW1 pilot, although my research is still ongoing.

Rad_Hazard 03-13-2023 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 2323158)
Here are a few of my favorites. I replaced the aftermarket diamond bezel on the blue faced Datejust with a factory bezel but don’t have a good picture of it after it was fixed. The trench is from 1916, was one of those odd Canadian-Rolex import situations (it is marked Rolex in the case but have a different brand on the dial), and likely belonged to a WWW1 pilot, although my research is still ongoing.

Beautiful watches! Any time I see a Rolex all I can think of is Billy Madison when he filled the Pinata at his graduation party with candy and Rolex watches.

mrreality68 03-13-2023 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 2323158)

Love that watch mine also was from 1916

Bestdj777 03-13-2023 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2323214)
Love that watch mine also was from 1916

Thank you! Yours is awesome and looks to be in great shape. Is the back engraved? Just curious as I’m assuming that’s how you’ve dated it and love engraved watches.

todeen 03-13-2023 11:19 PM

My father left me his watches. He started collecting late. He gave me his Tissot because "I have too many watches to rotate." A year later he bought another exact same Tissot (top left and right). Before collecting, he loved Seiko. My mother gave his quartz watches to grandsons. So I have an automatic Seiko. Then he bought an automatic Citizen, really fancy with all the bells and whistles. Then he moved into Tissot and Hamilton.

The Rolex is an heirloom from the 50s that we gave to my father. it belonged to my mother's uncle, passed along to my uncle, and then my uncle gifted it to my father and we paid for its repair. My great-uncle was a Corp of Engineers surveyor. He built airfields across the world during WWII (north Africa and France), Korea, and Vietnam (all over SE Asia). He got his picture in LIFE Magazine. And he helped bring a baby elephant to the San Diego Zoo. It had an article in a CA newspaper, too.

The jump hour I bought in Thailand. It took a beating. I want to get it fixed... if it's not a plastic movement. I bought the Stauer hoping for a replacement jump hour, but it sucks. The automatic movement gets stuck somehow.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3f5af856eb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8e0f11ed1f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fe5122108f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

mrreality68 03-14-2023 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 2323330)
Thank you! Yours is awesome and looks to be in great shape. Is the back engraved? Just curious as I’m assuming that’s how you’ve dated it and love engraved watches.

It is not engraved. Wish it was. IT works great. I dated it with the serial # that is on it. Then went online to the omega serial # tracker/decoder

https://serial-number-decoder.com/omega/omega.htm

bnorth 03-14-2023 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had these custom made for my blue face GMT II Pepsi Rolex and then sold the watch before I put them on it. So someday I need to get another blue face Rolex to use them on.

bnorth 03-14-2023 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a NOS of this 2016 version and just purchased it. The one in the case is the actual one I purchased. Can't wait for it to arrive.:D

mrreality68 03-14-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2323489)
Found a NOS of this 2016 version and just purchased it. The one in the case is the actual one I purchased. Can't wait for it to arrive.:D

Very nice pick up indeed

bnorth 03-15-2023 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2323535)
Very nice pick up indeed

Thanks, it is a 2 in 1 for me. I get to combine my hobby of watches and my favorite strongman.:D

I have been looking for this original model for a few years and am so happy I didn't settle for the newer version now.

Rad_Hazard 03-15-2023 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2323489)

That's a good looking watch, congrats!

philliesfan 03-15-2023 09:00 AM

Not that it's of any monetary value but I still have my Timex watch from my parents for my third grade graduation in 1969.

bnorth 03-15-2023 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2323656)
Not that it's of any monetary value but I still have my Timex watch from my parents for my third grade graduation in 1969.

Nice, do you have a picture of it? I have had this one since around the 3rd grade and amazingly it still works.

Bestdj777 03-15-2023 08:04 PM

Very nice Jeff! Rolex’s serial numbers are unreliable or non-existent pre-1930s from my experience, so you either have to rely on hallmarks (non-existent on the Canadian imports) or hope for engraving. It’s amazing how well watches work over a century later.

Todeen, beautiful Rolex and love the stories behind each of your watches. The stories, in my opinion, are what make watches special. Mine mark special occasions in my life but always wished I made more of those family pieces—I have one that my dad traded for when serving overseas, and it makes me happy every time I wear it.

mrreality68 03-16-2023 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2323669)
Nice, do you have a picture of it? I have had this one since around the 3rd grade and amazingly it still works.

have not seen these since i was a kid

great watch and memories

Rad_Hazard 03-17-2023 08:30 AM

I love watching these restoration videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFN_ycenjU

bnorth 03-17-2023 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2324306)
I love watching these restoration videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFN_ycenjU

That is a cool video. It is amazing how many are little moving parts are inside a watch.

They must have run over it with a tank to break the crystal like that. I have hit mine extremely hard many times and not even a scratch. Each time I cringe then look down and am happy it is still perfect.

bnorth 03-24-2023 06:05 PM

My Vostok Europe Big Z model watch is now only one USPS sorting facility away and I might get it tomorrow.:D

Very excited to get this watch. Bought it from across the pond so shipping has taken a day or ten so far.

Rad_Hazard 03-24-2023 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2326505)
My Vostok Europe Big Z model watch is now only one USPS sorting facility away and I might get it tomorrow.:D

Very excited to get this watch. Bought it from across the pond so shipping has taken a day or ten so far.

Right on! New watch days are great days!

My Hamilton is supposed to be here Tuesday, but I also got a Seiko GMT in orange which I'm excited for as well and that arrives on Monday. I like the idea of an automatic watch with a complication that allows me to track MST and EST at the same time.

mrreality68 03-25-2023 08:16 AM

looking forward to seeing these when they arrive

Leon 03-25-2023 11:11 AM

Not a watch collector but I like them.
I wear a Rolex Datejust, silver and gold jubilee. I bought it about 32 yrs ago, and it was a few years used at the time. Now it's worth more than I paid for it. Nothing like wearing a Rolex for 32 yrs, all the while making money on it. I might upgrade in the future, to a newer one, not sure.

Rad_Hazard 03-25-2023 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2326709)
Not a watch collector but I like them.
I wear a Rolex Datejust, silver and gold jubilee. I bought it about 32 yrs ago, and it was a few years used at the time. Now it's worth more than I paid for it. Nothing like wearing a Rolex for 32 yrs, all the while making money on it. I might upgrade in the future, to a newer one, not sure.

You really can't go wrong with a Rolex! They are the 52 Topps Mantle of watches.

bnorth 03-25-2023 03:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It arrived!!! The seller didn't advertise the autograph was included. I am guessing they didn't know it was in the case. You have to remove the top layer to get to it. Luckily I knew where the factory put them. This is #173/500 made.

The only bad thing is I hate these type of straps. I will have custom python straps made and use one of my Rolex clasps.

Rad_Hazard 03-25-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2326778)
It arrived!!! The seller didn't advertise the autograph was included. I am guessing they didn't know it was in the case. You have to remove the top layer to get to it. Luckily I knew where the factory put them. This is #173/500 made.

The only bad thing is I hate these type of straps. I will have custom python straps made and use one of my Rolex clasps.

That's a sharp looking watch, congrats! Love the auto as well.

If it were me I'd be eyeing either a nato strap, or mostly likely a rubber strap with that watch. This would be my personal pick, but with a gold buckle.

https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/pro...40541384474678

bnorth 03-25-2023 04:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2326791)
That's a sharp looking watch, congrats! Love the auto as well.

If it were me I'd be eyeing either a nato strap, or mostly likely a rubber strap with that watch. This would be my personal pick, but with a gold buckle.

https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/pro...40541384474678

Thanks, it also came with this yellow strap that I like way better than the leather one.

Rad_Hazard 03-25-2023 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2326802)
Thanks, it also came with this yellow strap that I like way better than the leather one.

Now that looks great!

todeen 03-25-2023 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2326802)

that looks much better than the leather strap. glad you're happy with it!

mrreality68 03-26-2023 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2326837)
that looks much better than the leather strap. glad you're happy with it!

+1 agreed and congrats

Rad_Hazard 03-27-2023 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first of my 2 recent watches arrived. I’m not a big fan of metal straps so I swapped it to a cool striped NATO strap I picked up and the clasp broke immediately, hunk of junk. Swapped it with another plain black NATO until I get the better quality striped one I just ordered.

My first GMT and I can already see how nice this will be since I work in one time zone and live in another. Very helpful!

bnorth 03-27-2023 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2327432)
The first of my 2 recent watches arrived. I’m not a big fan of metal straps so I swapped it to a cool striped NATO strap I picked up and the clasp broke immediately, hunk of junk. Swapped it with another plain black NATO until I get the better quality striped one I just ordered.

My first GMT and I can already see how nice this will be since I work in one time zone and live in another. Very helpful!

Nice, for fun you can rotate the bezel and get a 3rd time zone you would rather be in.:)

I like metal straps and am now looking for one for my newest watch.

Rad_Hazard 03-27-2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2327438)
Nice, for fun you can rotate the bezel and get a 3rd time zone you would rather be in.:)

I like metal straps and am now looking for one for my newest watch.

Totally! I can use the dial for a 3rd.

I should rephrase that though, I don't like THIS metal strap. The watch I have incoming tomorrow I really like the metal strap.

rjackson44 03-28-2023 10:09 AM

i own a pepsi rolex rarely wear it it was my dads

Rad_Hazard 03-28-2023 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My grail watch arrived today. This is easily the most comfortable strap that I own.

Hamilton Intra-Matic Automatic Chronograph in sage green and eggshell. I absolutely love this color!

bnorth 03-28-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2327608)
My grail watch arrived today. This is easily the most comfortable strap that I own.

Hamilton Intra-Matic Automatic Chronograph in sage green and eggshell. I absolutely love this color!

That is a beautiful watch. Lets see a pic of the clasp/strap.:)

Rad_Hazard 03-28-2023 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2327638)
That is a beautiful watch. Lets see a pic of the clasp/strap.:)

Here you go. Super easy to adjust too. Adjusts in very small increments so the sizing is absolutely perfect.