Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Sgc are they flailing away? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307339)

Republicaninmass 09-01-2021 12:47 PM

Sgc are they flailing away?

I recently had some 1952 topps completed in record time. 15 days which surprised me! It was almost $600, not cheap, but I could justify it.

However, I'd noted on my submission drop down to label them as gray backs or Canadian issue, as sgc has these two options, asking if they could all be noted uniformly as gray backs.

Since their phones are currently "turned off" I still called them as soon as my grades popped, as NONE labeled properly. There is some recording on repeat saying phones are turned off.
When I emailed customer service he said "we only label red and black backs". This is not the case, as the drop down menu specifically has the desired description.

Needless to say my next email wasnt very kind, but hoping they correct this mislabeling and get someone answering emails that has more than a week at the helm!

mrreality68 09-01-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2140573)
I recently had some 1952 topps completed in record time. 15 days which surprised me! It was almost $600, not cheap, but I could justify it.

However, I'd noted on my submission drop down to label them as gray backs or Canadian issue, as sgc has these two options, asking if they could all be noted uniformly as gray backs.

Since their phones are currently "turned off" I still called them as soon as my grades popped, as NONE labeled properly. There is some recording on repeat saying phones are turned off.
When I emailed customer service he said "we only label red and black backs". This is not the case, as the drop down menu specifically has the desired description.

Needless to say my next email wasnt very kind, but hoping they correct this mislabeling and get someone answering emails that has more than a week at the helm!

Agreed very frustrating and to make it worse their communication has gone down hill

Republicaninmass 09-01-2021 01:55 PM

Literally the ONLY advantage they had WAS customer service!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bobbyw8469 09-01-2021 02:10 PM

On the prefilled form, you don't call them just regular Topps. You call them Topps Canadian. I just tried to dummy up an order and that is how they are listed. Did you do yours as regular 1952 Topps, Ted?

Republicaninmass 09-01-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2140601)
On the prefilled form, you don't call them just regular Topps. You call them Topps Canadian. I just tried to dummy up an order and that is how they are listed. Did you do yours as regular 1952 Topps, Ted?

Nope, drop down selected were either Canadian or gray back, and yellow tiger house ! NONE labeled as such

Bill77 09-01-2021 05:02 PM

Just checking the pop report for 1952 topps and they do have cards listed as grey back starting with card 131 and ending at card 190. Most of them have only one graded example with only about four having 2-4 copies graded. It must be so new that they don't even know they label them as such.

Republicaninmass 09-02-2021 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ignorant group of asshats

I'm disputing the charges with my cc for services not rendered properly

"The submission is enroute to you. When you receive it can you send me an image of the Frank House card and I'll see if it's a "yellow tiger" card? My verification team makes the decision on what the label should look say. They let me know that we don't indicate gray back on the label."

bobbyw8469 09-02-2021 08:42 AM

Wow!!! That is just crazy to me. What is going on over at SGC????

Republicaninmass 09-02-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2140829)
Wow!!! That is just crazy to me. What is going on over at SGC????

The audacity to question me on a yellow tiger... lol :)

Stick a fork in them. What's next, no backs on t206s?

bobbyw8469 09-02-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2140836)
The audacity to question me on a yellow tiger... lol :)

Stick a fork in them. What's next, no backs on t206s?

You should see my collection of raw cards now. I have an absolute ton.....

jchcollins 09-02-2021 01:03 PM

SGC's historical advantage was that they were the "little guy" who catered to collectors and provided excellent customer service. Problem is here in the 21st century, they are trying to parlay that reputation into becoming "big guys" just like PSA and Beckett - and in the process ignoring the customer service that they built their reputation on. That much aside, I thought that the insane price swings earlier this year were simply unprofessional. Yes, they defended their decisions well enough - but the truth is it didn't have to go down that way, and they made some controversial calls rather quickly. SGC could have stuck with pricing tiers to continue to do business with longtime, loyal customers - but they didn't. Anywho, I digress...

I had to throw in the towel earlier this year after repeated shoddy product issues. (Black inserts not cut properly / shards of plastic sticking into cards). I got a half-apologetic phone call and email from SGC, but no offers to refund or really do much about it. I told them separately later that I wouldn't be doing business with them for the foreseeable future. Not surprisingly, there was no response. I get it, I'm extremely small time, and my submissions are nothing compared to many probably even on this forum. But sad to see them going down this road.

clydepepper 09-02-2021 05:58 PM

Robert - I also have a lot of raw cards.

A while back, I got the notion that I could buy raw Mantles at a low price, have them graded (at that time, the plan had PSA targeted), then resell them at a big profit.

After finished my stock-piling effort (don't get excited, I only have a few of each), I saw that PSA was up to $100 a card, which drove me, in desperation...to SGC...which I had virtually no experience working with, but their fee was only $30, so I gave it a try...then, a second try.

The process was lightening quick and the grades were 'harsh' - which I've taken philosophically as a somewhat fair result - and an end to my 'Get Rich by Mickey' plan.

I always heard good reports on SGC from many of our members, but I don't blame them in the least, my decision and I can live with it.

Republicaninmass 09-02-2021 06:16 PM

I mean they didnt even look at the cards fully. 2 were white backs within the same series, that didnt tip them off or cause them to ask questions?