Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT - eBay Rant: When Sellers Lie About An Offer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196085)

packs 10-28-2014 08:00 AM

OT - eBay Rant: When Sellers Lie About An Offer

I am fuming and it's really no big deal but it's so annoying I thought maybe other people have been in the same situation and can relate. A guy is selling an item on eBay that failed to sell for it's opening price and was listed with a reserve. It also had a BIN attached to it for $200.

So I contacted the seller after the auction ended and offered him $150, which was halfway between his opening price and his BIN of $200. I figured his BIN was most likely his reserve. The guy messages me back saying "I've already turned down an offer of $500."

What?!

thecatspajamas 10-28-2014 09:28 AM

Yeah, chalk that one up in the "when morons don't realize they're showing their true colors" column and move on. Best not to get involved in a deal with a guy who would rather tell an obvious lie rather than simply say "no" to your offer.

jimivintage 10-28-2014 09:35 AM

One morning before school, we had a building meeting to talk about ideas on what to do with a couple of rooms not being utilized. There was a group of 15 teachers or so. About 10 minutes into the meeting, out in the hallway, a teacher comes traipsing in late and walks right by us and heads to her room. On our tour of the building, one of the rooms we went to was hers. LOL We were there for about 5 minutes to talk about structural things while the teacher worked on getting her room ready for the day. Mind you, she was supposed to be in this meeting. :)

Anyway, later on in the day, I tried to joke with her about missing the meeting (not that it was a super important meeting as it wasn't mandatory), but she looks right at me and says, "I was at the meeting!" I just stared at her, and tried to laugh, but she was serious! She walked past our meeting and we went to her room and saw her there. Huh?!?!?!

Seriously, why lie??

packs 10-28-2014 09:57 AM

Haha some people.

DaClyde 10-28-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1338300)
It also had a BIN attached to it for $200.
---
The guy messages me back saying "I've already turned down an offer of $500."

What?!

I guess he wants $200...and not a penny more!

rjackson44 10-28-2014 01:47 PM

I hate ebay

perezfan 10-28-2014 04:27 PM

Me too... someone needs to come up with a viable alternative.

It gets worse by the minute, yet for some reason they have a virtual monopoly on this type of venue. :mad:

DHogan 10-28-2014 05:49 PM

I guess it's easier to tell a lie, than to tell the truth these days.

My wife had a doctors appointment one day last year. She's disabled and needed to be taken by ambulance. We made an appointment with the ambulance company before hand to pick her up. They didn't show up. I called them and spoke to someone in their office. They told me that the ambulance was stuck in traffic ! I told them to stop lying and turn the siren on. :mad:

JollyElm 10-28-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1338473)

It gets worse by the minute, yet for some reason they have a virtual monopoly on this type of venue. :mad:

Yeah, but the moment a viable alternative appears, we know exactly what'll happen. Give it time and they will eventually do the exact same ridiculous things as ebay.

sbfinley 10-28-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1338473)

People have provided viable alternatives, and the majority of collectors just stared at them like I imagine a caveman would a lava lamp.

Tabe 10-28-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimivintage (Post 1338329)
One morning before school, we had a building meeting to talk about ideas on what to do with a couple of rooms not being utilized. There was a group of 15 teachers or so. About 10 minutes into the meeting, out in the hallway, a teacher comes traipsing in late and walks right by us and heads to her room. On our tour of the building, one of the rooms we went to was hers. LOL We were there for about 5 minutes to talk about structural things while the teacher worked on getting her room ready for the day. Mind you, she was supposed to be in this meeting. :)

Anyway, later on in the day, I tried to joke with her about missing the meeting (not that it was a super important meeting as it wasn't mandatory), but she looks right at me and says, "I was at the meeting!" I just stared at her, and tried to laugh, but she was serious! She walked past our meeting and we went to her room and saw her there. Huh?!?!?!

Seriously, why lie??

Some people are pathological liars. My niece is one, for example. She would lie about anything and everything - for no apparent reason. She would lie when the truth was easier and would benefit her. Having her live with us for awhile was quite the experience. It literally makes you question your own sanity after awhile.

deadballfreaK 10-29-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 1338545)
Some people are pathological liars. My niece is one, for example. She would lie about anything and everything - for no apparent reason. She would lie when the truth was easier and would benefit her. Having her live with us for awhile was quite the experience. It literally makes you question your own sanity after awhile.

I have known two people who were dead ringers for the John Lovitz liar character. They were just as funny. They seemed to get so wrapped up in their stories that they were in another state of mind. You could tell that they were in some kind of fantasy world and were just making stuff up on the fly. Everyone in the room would be looking at each other and trying not to snort with laughter and the liars seemed to not even notice. Weird.

kamikidEFFL 10-29-2014 09:34 PM

I don't even look at anything that has a BIN on eBay. Waste of time 99% o them are some ridiculous price. they will never get and when u ask them they one of the two things, 1st not respond or give u another crazy number and they don't like to work with u. eBay is no fun anymore. I'm all about auction houses straight to the point and no BS

buymycards 10-30-2014 05:04 AM

ebay

This really has nothing to do with eBay. The seller sounds like an idiot. This is a seller problem, not an ebay problem.

ALR-bishop 10-30-2014 07:37 AM

Ebay

I am just a buyer on ebay but over the years it has been a great venue for me to find and get cards I want. There are goofy sellers out there, but there are some crazy and less than honest buyers as well. If a seller is asking more for a card than I think it is worth to me, I just don 't buy it. No big deal

packs 10-30-2014 08:07 AM

It's not a big deal at all. Just annoying.

Exhibitman 10-30-2014 11:09 AM

Al is right. For the buyer eBay is a fantastic venue that like every other giant swap meet has vendors of all stripes. For every crooked or crazy seller I've encountered there have been a hundred normals.