Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Card grade with damage? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291077)

UKCardGuy 10-29-2020 10:27 AM

Card grade with damage?

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this card on Ebay. The card arrived today and there's a little damage on the left side on the back (in the margin by the #10)

Overall the card is in great shape. The listing showed the card in a screw down holder but it was delivered in a toploader. I'm guessing it stuck to the holder when he removed it.

I didn't pay much for the card. I'm trying to weigh up whether to return it or keep it.

What do you reckon the card would grade as is and without the damage

commishbob 10-29-2020 10:43 AM

Overall it's really a pretty sweet card. If I was building the set (and I've considered doing just that) I'd have no problem having it in my binder.

But I don't think anyone can answer for you. Your tolerance for stuff like this is yours alone.

I might be bothered if I thought the seller had purposely hid the damage but if the price was right I'd just keep it and move along. YMMV

UKCardGuy 10-29-2020 11:05 AM

Thanks Bob. I'm interested get opinions on how people think that card would grade as it sits. I'm not a grading junkie (and my opportunity to get things graded from the UK is pretty limited) but I'd like to have the benchmark.

I think the card might have been a NM 7 without the damage. Could anyone with experience of these things offer an idea of how the damage would affect the grade?

judgebuck 10-29-2020 12:34 PM

Being off center on the front and with back damage, I would say it would grade PSA 2 (Good). Without the back damage, I think the centering would nevertheless keep it from being as high as a 7. Just my opinion.

swarmee 10-29-2020 03:27 PM

I would have said closer to 3, with a slight possibility higher.

jchcollins 10-30-2020 09:56 AM

3-4, unless they overlook it - in which case it might be a 5 or higher. Nice card either way!

JollyElm 10-30-2020 04:42 PM

I live by this maxim, because it's the nature of the beast: Whatever you truly think it will grade at, subtract 2, and you will still be off by a minimum of one or two grades.

DieMaus 11-03-2020 08:16 PM

I would be sweating bullets if i damaged a card I was packaging as part of a sale. I would definitely report it to the buyer, ask if they want a refund, and send them something similar at no cost, if necessary.

I made a similar mistake with my first sale on eBay. After looking around for the card, I realized I put in an old empty storage box, but then remembered accidentally discarding the box when organizing the day before.

What else could I do but contact the seller and refund him? It was a promo Star Wars card, so I also offered to send him a Galactic Moments set I had just received from Topps, which was of equal value to the card. I cringed at myself over the mess up for hours. I’m thankful it wasn’t a more expensive mistake.

And I forgot where I was going with this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk