Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Photo storing question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179115)

JoeyF1981 11-21-2013 10:22 PM

Photo storing question

I currently have my vintage photos in a acid free photo album but I was wondering if I should use some kind of backing to support the photo or just put in there without it?

perezfan 11-21-2013 11:28 PM

I prefer backing support. It just gives me a greater sense of security against potential bending, creasing, cracking, etc.

JoeyF1981 11-21-2013 11:32 PM

What kind of backing do u recommend

perezfan 11-22-2013 07:50 AM

I just use extra scraps of mats (leftover from framing projects). It should be non-acidic, but others on the board here can probably recommend what specific type of backing is best. I'm not nearly as anal/obsessive about it as some seem to be.

When I receive photos from Henry Yee and other sellers, it just seems to be that smooth white type of cardboard (placed inside of a plastic sleve). Sorry, that's all I've got :o

Smanzari 11-22-2013 09:08 AM

I use CardStock Paper from Walmart to back my signed photos in albums. Not too clunky and I feel like it adds alot more protection. I think you can get a 200 pack for like $5...

billyb 11-22-2013 09:15 AM

Joey,
I posted the same question on 8-11, and got a few good responses. It is now on Pg10 of this site if you want to check out those responses.

thecatspajamas 11-22-2013 10:42 AM

If you're going the backer board route, comic book and magazine backing boards come in a variety of sizes and are typically manufactured to be acid-free. There are also "buffer" sheets that you could place between the photo and board if you want to go the extra mile for preservation.

I would recommend going with "collector's supplies" that are held to higher standards, typically stated on the packaging, rather than the cheap multi-pack of something from the stationary department of your local big box store though. Those stationary/printing products may look great now, but most are not manufactured with long-term archival storage in mind and may do more harm than good in the long run.

Exhibitman 11-23-2013 09:41 AM

Try bags unlimited online. They have a zillion choices. I use the Ultra Pro 8.5 x 11 sheets with 8.5 x 11 comic book boards that I get at the local comic store.

Runscott 11-23-2013 11:02 AM

I just ordered acid-free comic book bags and boards for shipping 1,000 childhood comics. Extras will be used for photographs. Also found a variety of archival bag sizes at Dick Blick's.

Most photos get stacked in boxes for easy access. I don't like binders much, as I like to change storage order as I'm preparing for sales.

thecatspajamas 11-23-2013 12:27 PM

For those who may be going the bag/board route, generally speaking 8x10's fit well in magazine bags/boards (8-3/4"x11-1/8"), and 7x9's fit well in Golden Age Comic bags and boards (7-5/8"x10-1/2"). 7x9s might fit tightly in a Silver Age Comic bag/board (7-1/8"x10-1/2"), but the width of those doesn't allow much tolerance for slightly wider photos or ones with slight paper caption overhangs.

Good luck with the comic collection Scott. That's the area that most of my collecting youth was spent in, though I've strayed considerably in recent years. I'd be curious to hear what series you favored for "rotting your brain" growing up. (Mine were mostly Marvel with X-Men and Spider-Man titles being favorites).

CobbvLajoie1910 11-23-2013 07:34 PM

Expense aside, what is the consensus re: using rigid 8x10 toploaders?

ibuysportsephemera 11-23-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 (Post 1209866)

Never...even being careful, you can catch the edge and leave a nice slice in the photo.

Jeff

thecatspajamas 11-23-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 (Post 1209866)

If you're going that route, I would suggest using a thin backing board or similar on front and back when loading for exactly the reason Jeff mentioned. Something you can slide back out once the photo is inside. Also consider using a toploader that is a little bigger than the photo. A tight fit sounds like a good idea until you realize that getting the photo inside often poses the biggest risk for damage.

CobbvLajoie1910 11-24-2013 08:14 AM

Thanks for the reply, Gents. Knock on wood, I've never had an issue loading photos into a top-loader (I too subscribe to Lance's idea of using something oversized).

I was concerned about the archival quality of the plastic & and the image.

I've read conflicting info on how safe (acidity) they are.