Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1975 Topps... Super Glossy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311140)

G1911 11-26-2021 10:31 PM

1975 Topps... Super Glossy?

3 Attachment(s)
Anybody know anything about this "set"? I'm a fan of the very 70's aesthetic and am doing the set in base and mini form. Was there a second Topps test issue of these? These two cards are clearly different. The bright white stock is different, and the fronts are very glossy, giving them a higher quality appearance. Thickness is about the same as a normal card. I've never heard about these though. There's also a Jim Fregosi card on eBay right now. Burgmeier is handcut and has some white on the right border, the Wright is very cleanly cut.

Anyone know anything about these?

paul 11-26-2021 10:54 PM

I don't know what they are but I bought three of them many years ago at a card convention. Probably around 1980-85. All three are commons and all look factory cut. I believe I asked about them on this board a decade or so ago and I don't remember getting any information.

G1911 11-26-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 2168613)
I don't know what they are but I bought three of them many years ago at a card convention. Probably around 1980-85. All three are commons and all look factory cut. I believe I asked about them on this board a decade or so ago and I don't remember getting any information.

That would seem to eliminate the possibility they are not period and a much later creation.

toppcat 11-27-2021 05:09 PM

Topps did an internal test of 1971 cards with a high gloss (Topps Vault even sold some, they had finished backs) so a 1975 test would not surprise me, either of the gloss or card stock. I can't find any reference to the 75's but it's not surprising. Those are really nice oddball pieces IMO.

G1911 11-27-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 2168931)
Topps did an internal test of 1971 cards with a high gloss (Topps Vault even sold some, they had finished backs) so a 1975 test would not surprise me, either of the gloss or card stock. I can't find any reference to the 75's but it's not surprising. Those are really nice oddball pieces IMO.

I don't remember seeing those 71's before. I also have a 1972 3rd series football card with a blank front and a high gloss bright white back like this too, that nobody seems to recognize and is probably also an internal test that became a released test set.

Interesting they did a run like this in 1975, the same year Topps did the Mini's and were trying to see if they could (presumably) sell people less card for their money instead of offer a better product.

Some Topps tests sets are tough and absurdly expensive, others are so tough they aren't even catalogued anywhere but are worthless. I prefer the later here ;).

Would be interested in seeing any other subjects people might have of this presumably never put into production internal test.

G1911 10-30-2023 10:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a Jack Heidemann for the minimum penny bid a couple weeks ago. I still have not found anything on these. 2 year bump to see if someone who knows might see it this time. There's usually a few sitting at high BIN's on eBay, they are tough but out there. Seems the lack of knowledge keeps the prices nice and low.

inceptus 10-31-2023 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one of the 1971 slick proofs-- the back is indeed complete. (I need to rescan this at some point-- I believe the apparent scratching on the front is from an old scanner.)