Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   USPS question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337459)

Snapolit1 07-05-2023 10:02 AM

USPS question

I can't recall who on the board is a retired USPS post master. . . . . has helpfully answered a lot of question in the past for folks . . . . Here's a mundane question but was wondering about . . .

I mailed a first class package today at the PO and handed it to a rep and got proof of mailing back. It was a first class package with an ebay preprinted label. I was a little concerned about the weight as it was a photo in cardboard in a padded envelope. I asked her about the weight and her response was "I didn't weigh it . . . if there a problem all they will do is mail it back . . ." Not very helpful.

When I got home looked at the receipt and it's actually .2 ounces over the 5-8 oz on the ebay label. Is there any real chance it will get weighed somewhere down the line and be returned to me because it's .2 ounces over the line? That would be a real pain in the azz.

D. Bergin 07-05-2023 10:31 AM

They don't usually send back for due postage anymore. If they catch it with one of the machines along the way, it may get pulled and they'll charge you the difference through your Postage provider (Ebay, Stamps.com, Shipstation, etc..), and then send it back along it's way.

D. Bergin 07-05-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2353300)
They don't usually send back for due postage anymore. If they catch it with one of the machines along the way, it may get pulled and they'll charge you the difference through your Postage provider (Ebay, Stamps.com, Shipstation, etc..), and then send it back along it's way.

Be aware though, you may get an annoyed Postal worker/Postmaster who instead of charging you for the extra ounce up tier, will decide to upgrade you to a Large Flat Rate Priority Express Box instead.

I think I may have had that happen before, and noticed it on my Stamps.com account.

I noticed the charge in time to challenge it however, and eventually got refunded for it.

Another theory I had, since I don't think I under-weighed that item, is I think my little package was riding on top of the label of a larger Priority Box when it went though the system, and I got upcharged for a package that wasn't mine by an annoyed computer...and not a postal worker at all.

Snapolit1 07-05-2023 10:58 AM

Many thanks. Really appreciate it. Think it would be silly to do anything with such a de minimis overage but I guess it's possible.

Reminds me of the time during early Covid days where I bought two 45 pound dumbells from some guy halfway across the country. He put each one in a medium priority mail cardboard box. No bubble wrap or anything. Just a dumbell in a box. Ouch. Both boxes, busted up and exposed, we uncerimonously dumped (dropped) on my front steps with a loud thud. I made no friends with the postman that day.

Peter_Spaeth 07-05-2023 11:06 AM

So the clerk weighed it but didn't know she had weighed it?

Snapolit1 07-05-2023 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2353317)
So the clerk weighed it but didn't know she had weighed it?

I just asked for the receipt, so it was weighed I guess when she threw it on the scale to print the receipt out.

Maybe she figured I'm not going to bother looking at it because no one is going to care one way or the other and why complicate things. Keep the line moving . . . .

Peter_Spaeth 07-05-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2353326)
I just asked for the receipt, so it was weighed I guess when she threw it on the scale to print the receipt out.

Maybe she figured I'm not going to bother looking at it because no one is going to care one way or the other and why complicate things. Keep the line moving . . . .

Odd. I think as long as the post office system has someplace to upcharge you they'll just do that automatically and not return the package, if the system does pick up on it. That's happened to me a couple of times when I guessed wrong on the weight.

vthobby 07-05-2023 11:34 AM

No way it comes back......

Been shipping on Ebay for many years. IF they care and catch it while enroute they will simply charge you the difference to your Ebay shipping account or paypal or however you paid.

More times that not it will just be delivered but you may get a $1 or $2 upcharge at some point. No biggie.

It will not be returned to you.