Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2024 Boxing HOF Inductees (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343634)

D. Bergin 12-07-2023 12:24 PM

2024 Boxing HOF Inductees

I didn't think they did these until January for some reason, but got an E-mail from the HOF and here you go.

Discuss.

Quote:

The Class of 2024 includes Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton, Michael “Double M” Moorer, Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon and Diego “Chico” Corrales (posthumous) in the men’s Modern category; Jane “The Fleetwood Assassin” Couch and “La Guerrera” Ana Maria Torres in the Women’s modern category; trainer Kenny Adams, manager Jackie Kallen and publicist Fred Sternburg in the Non-Participant category; journalist Wallace Matthews and broadcaster Nick Charles (posthumous) in the Observer category; Luis Angel Firpo (posthumous) in the Old Timer category and Theresa Kibby (posthumous) in the women’s Trailblazer category.

G1911 12-07-2023 12:34 PM

I totally missed this vote was happening this month.

Good class, I'd like a really old-timer to get in every year but that's just my bias. Does Kibby have any cards? I'm not aware of one. Moorer is in all the 1991 sets and probably has the most available stuff of this group.

D. Bergin 12-07-2023 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2395097)
I totally missed this vote was happening this month.

Good class, I'd like a really old-timer to get in every year but that's just my bias. Does Kibby have any cards? I'm not aware of one. Moorer is in all the 1991 sets and probably has the most available stuff of this group.

Hatton has a 2002 Brown's Boxing Card. Strange if he doesn't have something earlier from the U.K.

I'll be honest. I've never even heard of Theresa Kibby.

D. Bergin 12-07-2023 12:52 PM

Luis Angel Firpo is further proof, the HOF looooooooves Heavyweights.

He's a very interesting story, but he beat a bunch of gatekeepers and showed up in a famous painting for knocking Dempsey out of the ring early in a fight...and then promptly getting bludgeoned when Dempsey got back in the ring.

Probably about a 100 dozen lighter weight fighters deserve getting in the HOF ahead of him.

Having said that, it's not a surprise, is mostly a petty argument, and I'm happy for the families of any old-timers who get recognized by the greater public at this late a stage in the game. :)

It IS the Hall of "FAME"....and he is pretty "famous" within the sport. ;)

G1911 12-07-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2395100)
Hatton has a 2002 Brown's Boxing Card. Strange if he doesn't have something earlier from the U.K.

I'll be honest. I've never even heard of Theresa Kibby.

Ha, neither have I. I had to search who she was, which is why I asked. Usually I recognize the names from cards rather than ring talent.

TCDB has the 2002 Browns as Hatton's only card before his 2011 Ringside appearances, but that can't be complete. He must have something else.

D. Bergin 12-07-2023 01:00 PM

Looking up Theresa Kibby, she was certainly more deserving than Jackie Tonowanda, who inexplicably went in a couple years ago for some reason.

Don't think you'll find many boxing cards for 1970's era female boxers unfortunately.