Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1950 Bowman Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300302)

ngrow9 04-13-2021 05:48 PM

1950 Bowman Question

I'm toying with the idea of starting a raw 1950 Bowman set, but don't have a lot of experience with the issue. I'd obviously wait before buying any of the big cards until I'd gotten a decent number of commons, but was wondering if anyone had any tips (or resources) for detecting reprints? Any normal giveaways?

Many thanks!

Kevin 04-13-2021 07:01 PM

Interesting question. I have about 80 cards. I was really into the St Louis Browns in the 80s. My dad’s American League team. I was at this card show in Massapequa and picked up a bunch of commons in a rubber band for $10.

So, I toyed with the idea of completing it myself. I figure once I get the t206 situation settled, I’ll complete the C46 and 1950 Bowman as well.

skelly423 04-14-2021 06:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The 1950 Bowman set is a great set to dive into. There's a unique finish to the 1950 cards that's probably best described as a grained finish. If you look at 2 or 3 in hand, you'll know exactly what I mean. The borders on the originals are
a cream/vanilla color. The reprints I've seen have a smoother, glossier and whiter finish. I've attached scans of an original Yogi Berra and a reprint to help explain what I mean.

In my experience fakes are not a major problem in this set; realistically the only card in the set worth counterfeiting is the Robinson. One of the giveaways I've seen on that is the seal on the back of the card. On originals it's always red. On fakes, I've seen it in black.

ngrow9 04-14-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelly423 (Post 2092741)
The 1950 Bowman set is a great set to dive into. There's a unique finish to the 1950 cards that's probably best described as a grained finish. If you look at 2 or 3 in hand, you'll know exactly what I mean. The borders on the originals are
a cream/vanilla color. The reprints I've seen have a smoother, glossier and whiter finish. I've attached scans of an original Yogi Berra and a reprint to help explain what I mean.

In my experience fakes are not a major problem in this set; realistically the only card in the set worth counterfeiting is the Robinson. One of the giveaways I've seen on that is the seal on the back of the card. On originals it's always red. On fakes, I've seen it in black.

Super helpful, thanks!

ngrow9 04-14-2021 07:20 AM

One follow-up question: is the text on the back always black, or can it be blue (I saw an ungraded Jackie on eBay with blue text, which I'm guessing suggests it's not authentic)?

skelly423 04-14-2021 07:37 AM

I've never seen a 1950 with blue text. I'd be extremely skeptical of blue text on any 1950 Bowman, but if it's on the Robinson, you can count on it being a fake.

ngrow9 04-14-2021 08:01 AM

Thanks again!

pingman59 04-16-2021 10:01 PM

Buy the Jackie Robinson early in your journey!

I collected the set many years ago and regretted not buying the Jackie Robinson early in the journey. Instead, it was the last card I needed and I settled on a slightly lesser condition for financial reasons. I really like the 1950 Bowman set because there isn't a Mays or Mantle in it. The price guides say cards #1-72 are difficult to get and that is true. My experience has been that the first series of 36 cards are tougher than #37-72. Whenever you see a card from #1-36 in the condition you like...BUY IT and you won't regret it. I'm still wanting to upgrade my Bob Feller card and it keeps getting more expensive. Enjoy the journey!

STL1944 04-22-2021 08:40 PM

1950 Bowman

1 Attachment(s)
Five years ago I was getting close to finishing my first set after getting back into collecting - the 1953 Bowman set. It was a lot of fun to put it together and got me hooked again on collecting.

As you all know, if a little is good more is better when it comes to collecting. So I thought, why don't I just try to put together a full run of 1948 - 1955 Bowmans? My thinking is the transition of the hobby can be seen through the different years of the Bowmans.

I decided to do so and started to should look around for lots or entire sets to purchase. I happened to see an entire 1950 Bowman raw set for sale at one of the AHs. It was the set of an original collector who put the set together one card at a time through mail catalogs in the 1970's and 80's. On a whim, I bid on the set and ended up winning it. I was extremely excited.

Fast forward to today and I started doing the math on the 1951 Mantle and Mays cards along with the 1949 Paige card and realized my hopes of completing a full run will probably not not happen.

The good news is I still have the entire 1950 Bowman set... including this one which is the prize of my collection...

skelly423 04-23-2021 02:17 PM

If you ever decide to sell that Jackie, let me know. It's absolutely spectacular. I love a bright, well-centered 1950.