Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Glue cleaning on the backs of cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=75164)

Archive 11-01-2004 01:08 PM

Glue cleaning on the backs of cards?

Posted By: <b>Bryan</b><p>Quick question. I have a card that at one point has been in glued into an album and then removed. No paper loss on the card but there is still a silky layer on some of the back of the card. Is it possible to remove this without damaging the card? The reason why I ask is because the card is in MINT condition if it wasn't for the glue on the back. Any suggestions?

Archive 11-01-2004 02:01 PM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Tough situation. I bought a large group of cards that had glue on them too. Some of them (Obaks) I soaked and it came off pretty well. If I had a mint card I would probably not do that. I did have reasonable success at luke warm water and a cue tip and very gently rubbing it. On a few of them my gentle rubbing became signifiacant paper loss so be careful. Depending on the card I might even leave well enough alone, especially if it were valuable. Good luck......some others probably have more experience than me. regards

Archive 11-01-2004 02:24 PM

Posted By: <b>Bryan</b><p>Thanks for tip Leon. It would be very valuable if it were indeed MINT (meaning I could get the glue off). With the glue on it of course brings it significantly less valuable.

Archive 11-01-2004 02:33 PM

Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>A card that has glue on the back can never be mint, therefore I would always try to soak it off. Unless it is a very expensive card, because you always run the risk of the card soaking apart like my 1952 topps Mantle did. It split into two pieces the top layer and the bottom layer. I had to elmers glue it back together and it is now housed in a SGC 2 holder. I love grading.

Archive 11-01-2004 03:00 PM

Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Just wondering this questions as I saw Lipset's large lot of Sporting Life cards with blue/gray paper from a scrapbook stuck on the backs. I know paper can be removed from T206s by soaking but has anyone tried it with the M116s? Scott?

Archive 11-01-2004 05:17 PM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>If the glue was homemade paste, which is often the case in scrapbooks from the turn of the century, it is flour and water and can usually be removed in distilled water (never use tap water--it has all sorts of crud that will stain the card). The famous lot of T206 Cobb/Cobb cards had this kind of paste. If it is a petrochemical or oil-based glue, however, all you will get is a wet card. pastes are nearly always white or off-white, while most oil glues are brownish. Good luck.

Archive 11-02-2004 06:26 AM

Posted By: <b>Bryan</b><p>When you soak a card does it ruin the feel to it? Do soaked cards still grade? I think that my best bet is to soak the card and see what happens. The glue on the back is a white glue and at times can barely be seen, but you sure can feel it. But before I start this task and wanted to make sure that the card wouldn't have a much different look to it.<br />Thanks everyone.<br />BTW, Dan has it right as it is also a 52 topps card.