Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275672)

deweyinthehall 11-09-2019 06:00 PM

1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt

I read somewhere on-line that the reason Upper Deck pulled #702 in 1990 was that the photo on the reverse showed Mr. Witt with his pants undone and possibly something more, um, suggestive (it would explain why known copies weren't merely pulled, but were tarred with that black box).

Any truth to this? Also, were any actually issued in packs?

tjb1952tjb 11-09-2019 11:07 PM

Mike Witt 1990 UD #702

https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/20...02-discovered/

jacksoncoupage 11-11-2019 12:50 PM

100% can confirm they were issued in packs.

The question is whether or not they were ever issued in Hi # factory sets.

But as stated in the link to my blog, an 800ct factory set box full of them was discovered a few years back, which likely represents a portion of the print run pulled from cut sheets before pack out. At best, a $25-40 card now.

mrmopar 11-11-2019 06:01 PM

Just reread the thread. Old Gilbert just disappeared after that. Wonder what he did, if anything, with the rest of the stash. He was pretty adamant about getting them into people's hands, "but not for free lol".

I suppose even with the knowledge of another 7-800 out there, if they disappear from sight and mind for several years, that might help hold the value.

I personally never cared enough about errors to chase them and this is one card I would have tried to sell for as much as I could if I ended up with one (or more).

jacksoncoupage 11-11-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1930569)
Just reread the thread. Old Gilbert just disappeared after that. Wonder what he did, if anything, with the rest of the stash. He was pretty adamant about getting them into people's hands, "but not for free lol".

I suppose even with the knowledge of another 7-800 out there, if they disappear from sight and mind for several years, that might help hold the value.

I personally never cared enough about errors to chase them and this is one card I would have tried to sell for as much as I could if I ended up with one (or more).

He has never stopped listing them. When you see $35-50 BINs in completed listings, they’re his. Same for the glut of PSA 9 and 10s sold the last few years.

When this info came about, I was put in contact with him and I explained that if he were smart, he’d be very patient with them. But he had been told by others that they would be worth $400 a piece so he started listing immediately. I believe a while back he even listed lots of 5, 10 at a time. I spent a good amount of time trying to help him understand this card and what his find meant for its value but he wasn’t particularly interested in anything other than it being 800 $400 cards in his hands.

hockeyhockey 09-10-2023 12:34 PM

mike witt black box, back from the dead. i just got one of these cards.

pretty cool background on all of this, figured i'd bump this thread rather than making a new one.

edit: my apologies, didn't intend to offend people by noting that i would offer the card for sale/trade.
i generally live my life trying to appease others/avoid friction.

swarmee 09-10-2023 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2371715)
mike witt black box, back from the dead. i have one of these cards available if anyone happens to be interested. open to trading it, selling it, whatever. it's in nice condition.

pretty cool background on all of this, figured i'd bump this thread rather than making a new one.

That's what the Buy/Sell/Trade board is for. Bump is fine, no reason to try to sell your card here.

hockeyhockey 09-10-2023 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2371723)
That's what the Buy/Sell/Trade board is for. Bump is fine, no reason to try to sell your card here.

my apologies, sir. didn't mean to upset the apple cart. was really just mentioning that i found one.

Grigsby 09-12-2023 11:48 AM

Wasn't Mike Witt, along with several other Angels players, an original business investor with Upper Deck?

:eek:

butchie_t 09-12-2023 12:07 PM

DeWayne Buice and Wally Joyner were the Promo card examples. And they were both investors.

jacksoncoupage 09-12-2023 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grigsby (Post 2372314)
Wasn't Mike Witt, along with several other Angels players, an original business investor with Upper Deck?

:eek:

No, at least not according to Card Sharks.

deweyinthehall 09-12-2023 04:25 PM

The story goes that Buice stopped into a LCS to get directions to a Chinese restaurant or something and struck up a conversation with the owner - the name of the LCS was The Upper Deck. Apparently that got Buice's wheels spinning and the rest was history. Or, at least that's what I read.