Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Interest in “Vintage” Marvel Universe Cards at/near all-time low? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327052)

bcbgcbrcb 11-01-2022 01:26 PM

Interest in “Vintage” Marvel Universe Cards at/near all-time low?

After the huge spike in interest in 1990’s Marvel Universe trading cards throughout 2021 and into early 2022, buying any of this material seems to have ceased entirely as 2022 is winding down. The cards I deal with are independent from the uber-expensive PMG’s, which are a whole different market unto themselves.

I set up these days at weekly flea markets and monthly card shows, primarily sports cards with Pokémon cards and low-end comic books secondary and just a single two row box of 1990’s Marvel singles. If I said that I didn’t sell even a single card from that Marvel box in the past two months, it wouldn’t be an exaggeration at all. My eBay listings also duplicate this same lack of interest, don’t think I’ve sold a single complete set or insert set during all of 2022 after numerous sales during the second half of 2020 and throughout 2021.

Anyone else on the board here who deals in this arena finding similar results lately?

D. Bergin 11-02-2022 07:08 AM

Since the 2nd set of Balco papers were leaked, collector confidence is at an all-time low. I mean, c’mon, you see how big Hulks skull has gotten the last 10 years or so? No way that’s natural.

camaro69 11-03-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 2279428)
After the huge spike in interest in 1990’s Marvel Universe trading cards throughout 2021 and into early 2022, buying any of this material seems to have ceased entirely as 2022 is winding down. The cards I deal with are independent from the uber-expensive PMG’s, which are a whole different market unto themselves.

I set up these days at weekly flea markets and monthly card shows, primarily sports cards with Pokémon cards and low-end comic books secondary and just a single two row box of 1990’s Marvel singles. If I said that I didn’t sell even a single card from that Marvel box in the past two months, it wouldn’t be an exaggeration at all. My eBay listings also duplicate this same lack of interest, don’t think I’ve sold a single complete set or insert set during all of 2022 after numerous sales during the second half of 2020 and throughout 2021.

Anyone else on the board here who deals in this arena finding similar results lately?

I hope you are wrong :confused::confused:. I just bout a shoe box full of inserts from the early 90's. Most are complete sets.So I am hoping not to lose on the purchase.:D:D

bcbgcbrcb 11-03-2022 06:32 PM

I hope so too.

I bought a couple of large collections in late 2020-early 2021 with many complete base sets and single inserts that sometimes made up complete sets and sometimes just partial sets. Fortunately, I sold about 2/3 of everything within the first year. For the most part, 2022 has brought almost no sales and I just very recently started slashing prices by up to 50% on some stuff but to no avail, still no sales.

I also do a lot with ‘70’s Mego superhero action figures which were selling briskly throughout 2020 and 2021 but near a complete standstill this year as well. Again, near 50% price reductions on these have generated some business but at the expense of just breaking even at this point with these.