Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Degrom and Alonso (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=298839)

puckpaul 03-18-2021 04:22 PM

Degrom and Alonso

Hi all,

Trying to figure out the modern cards, I have a largely vintage collection.

What should i look for and consider in buying cards of Degrom and Alonso (big Mets fan and my two favorite players)? Which cards do collectors want? How do i think about a good or decent “investment” here. So many options, i have no idea what is a good value or buy.

Thanks,
Paul

scmavl 03-18-2021 08:19 PM

Hi Paul, and welcome to the craziness that is modern cards. Basically each player nowadays has two key “basic” rookie cards, and then some variations on those.

Bowman will release one when they sign with the team and it’ll say “1st Bowman Card” on it. There are often paper and Chrome versions, with the Chrome versions being more desirable. Then after their MLB debut, there will be a Topps card (regular or Chrome) with RC on it. So those are the two basic types.

Then you have the numbered refractors/colors, with a lower print run (/99, /25, /10, or the coveted 1/1) and, most desired, the autographed cards. If you want a solid set for a player like deGrom, I’d get a 2014 Bowman Chrome numbered under 100 and a 2014 Topps Update in PSA 10. I don’t think deGrom had his Bowman in an auto version, but many players do. Not sure about Alonso.

Also, most players have 2-3 years of Bowman cards while they’re in the minors (deGrom is an exception) and those after the “1st Bowman Card” and before their Topps debut are worth MUCH less. It’s often easy to get pretty cheap auto cards in that range, but they won’t carry the premium that the 1st or Topps RC do. Good luck!

puckpaul 03-18-2021 08:36 PM

Thank you!!!

What about these cards with jersey swatches and autographs from the rookie year that are 1/50 or 1/95? Some are green, some orange, some purple....are they all good and the lower the pop, the better? Or only the “first” cards?

I bought a whole bunch of deGroms two years ago, but they aren’t showing up at major Auctions at all!? I don’t see any of his cards. No sellers? Would think the best pitcher in baseball would be more traded (some are on EBAY).

scmavl 03-18-2021 09:27 PM

While he is a great pitcher for sure, he’s just not the “it” guy like Trout, Kershaw, or Betts. But it’s a good time to stock up on his cards!
As for the relic cards, unless they’re one of the aforementioned 1st or RC cards, then they’re not really that “special”. Not that they’re valueless, but they won’t command the stratospherical prices the others will. And as for purple/orange/red numbered cards, conventional thinking is buy the lowest numbered card you can find. And 9/9.5/10 are really the only collector grades. If I’d spent a few hundred more on my ‘09 Trout rookie and gotten a 9.5 instead of a 9, it would be worth thousands more now. Live and learn.

slidekellyslide 03-18-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckpaul (Post 2082881)
Thank you!!!

What about these cards with jersey swatches and autographs from the rookie year that are 1/50 or 1/95? Some are green, some orange, some purple....are they all good and the lower the pop, the better? Or only the “first” cards?

I bought a whole bunch of deGroms two years ago, but they aren’t showing up at major Auctions at all!? I don’t see any of his cards. No sellers? Would think the best pitcher in baseball would be more traded (some are on EBAY).

Pitchers are always low on the list. Their rookie cards don't really start to take off until it looks like they may be headed for the HOF. Ie Verlander, Kershaw, et cetera. Too much injury risk and pitchers don't put up numbers like they used to because the game has changed, it's hard to put up what used to be HOF standards. Will we ever see another 300 game winner? 200 may have to become the new standard.