Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bryce Harper 2012 Topps Series 2 661(A) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327901)

JWBlue 11-22-2022 09:23 AM

Bryce Harper 2012 Topps Series 2 661(A)

A few questions.

I believe there are reprints/counterfeits. How is possible to distinguish between the reprints/counterfeits and the authentic?

How was the autograph version distributed? I have read three different ways.
As a redemption, in packs, and as part of a promotional program that I do not recall the name of now.

I am chasing these cards if anyone has one available.

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-26-2022 08:00 AM

It was my understanding that both varieties were pack pulled only, but I’m not an expert.

I actually pulled one of the non-auto versions from a jumbo pack on clearance sale back in 2013. Sold it for about $150, which was a good price at the time. Should have held but oh well! Used the money to buy a Babe Ruth bat card which I still have and enjoy.

As far as counterfeits, yes I have seen many listed. If buying online I think buying a graded one is the safest way….especially for the auto version. I feel like the auto version is the one counterfeited the most.

If you can find a reputable online dealer you might be ok buying raw. Otherwise if you can see one in hand, look at it closely with a loupe, compare the ink and dot patterns with some legit 2012 commons, and use common sense. They are rare but still come up for sale regularly.

JWBlue 11-26-2022 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 2287355)
It was my understanding that both varieties were pack pulled only, but I’m not an expert.

I actually pulled one of the non-auto versions from a jumbo pack on clearance sale back in 2013. Sold it for about $150, which was a good price at the time. Should have held but oh well! Used the money to buy a Babe Ruth bat card which I still have and enjoy.

As far as counterfeits, yes I have seen many listed. If buying online I think buying a graded one is the safest way….especially for the auto version. I feel like the auto version is the one counterfeited the most.

If you can find a reputable online dealer you might be ok buying raw. Otherwise if you can see one in hand, look at it closely with a loupe, compare the ink and dot patterns with some legit 2012 commons, and use common sense. They are rare but still come up for sale regularly.

Does PSA recognize the difference between the counterfeits and authentic?

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-27-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBlue (Post 2287378)
Does PSA recognize the difference between the counterfeits and authentic?

Well that’s a great question!

In theory, yes. All grading companies make mistakes, but PSA should be able to detect the fakes and not slab them.

When buying a high dollar, commonly faked card online there is a MUCH higher likelihood that a graded card is authentic than a raw one.

You can definitely find real, raw 2012 661 A Harper’s out there. But if you are going to be paying $500 to $1000 for a baseball card, the added protection of buying a graded card is worth it in my opinion. And it will have a better resale value if you decide to sell down the road.

If you decide to buy raw, just make sure it’s from a reputable seller.