Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Lions Were Robbed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344523)

jingram058 12-31-2023 12:25 PM

The Lions Were Robbed

Plain as the nose on your face. I don't hate the Cowboys, but the ending of last night's game was 100 % BS. The officials are on film audio with saying "#70 is eligible". Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, everybody, heard it. Never seen anything like that in my 65 years. It's obvious officiating is awful in the NFL, but that makes me think the game was fixed. That one overturned 2 point conversion will likely cost the Lions their first ever Super Bowl. There is no precedent for overturning the game, but wow.

gonefishin 12-31-2023 12:44 PM

I totally agree with the part where they were robbed. Horrible call. However, I don't think it cost them the Super Bowl, just another obstacle for them to overcome.

D. Bergin 12-31-2023 01:05 PM

I haven’t seen the replay, but did the officials actually announce the guy who caught the ball as eligible, before the play?

pawpawdiv9 12-31-2023 04:45 PM

I read that he said he was eligible
BUT
He was also lined up wrong or was covered
Therefore making him Not eligible
So the guy/team screwed up themselves
Btw I don’t like nfl, only college ball

Beercan collector 12-31-2023 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2401018)
I haven’t seen the replay, but did the officials actually announce the guy who caught the ball as eligible, before the play?

They don’t announce it but they do tell the Defense if a lineman reports in as an eligible receiver - so the stupid official told the defense number 70 was eligible instead of number 68 .
It’s pretty clear 68 checked in with the official by video and all accounts . So the defense doesn’t aggressively cover 68 and he catches a touchdown pass - and the stupid official Calls a penalty Because he either has his head up his ass or he’s crooked

D. Bergin 12-31-2023 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beercan collector (Post 2401080)
They don’t announce it but they do tell the Defense if a lineman reports in as an eligible receiver - so the stupid official told the defense number 70 was eligible instead of number 68 .
It’s pretty clear 68 checked in with the official by video and all accounts . So the defense doesn’t aggressively cover 68 and he catches a touchdown pass - and the stupid official Calls a penalty Because he either has his head up his ass or he’s crooked

That might also explain why he was wide open for the conversion.

Just an unfortunate situation all around.

I'd vote for "Head up his ass". The officials know there's a microscope on every play imaginable these days.

Mark17 12-31-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2401010)
Plain as the nose on your face. I don't hate the Cowboys, but the ending of last night's game was 100 % BS. The officials are on film audio with saying "#70 is eligible". Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, everybody, heard it. Never seen anything like that in my 65 years. It's obvious officiating is awful in the NFL, but that makes me think the game was fixed. That one overturned 2 point conversion will likely cost the Lions their first ever Super Bowl. There is no precedent for overturning the game, but wow.

When you watch the replay, you see both #68 and #70 approach the official. As Aikman said, there is no reason for a player to do that unless they were reporting as eligible. So, my question is, why was #70 approaching the official, if not to create confusion?

nwobhm 12-31-2023 08:13 PM

Didn’t the Lions go for a 4th & short early on in leu of kicking a FG? They also passed on the extra point to go into OT. No doubt that bad call changed the outcome but other decisions did too.

jingram058 01-01-2024 12:15 PM

After watching the replay, as broadcast, it sure appears that the Lions were in fact robbed.

Gorditadogg 01-03-2024 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2401090)
When you watch the replay, you see both #68 and #70 approach the official. As Aikman said, there is no reason for a player to do that unless they were reporting as eligible. So, my question is, why was #70 approaching the official, if not to create confusion?

Agreed. You are supposed to motion to the referee that you are eligible and verbally say it as well. #70 motioned to the ref but says he didn't say anything. #68 told the ref he was eligible but didn't make an obvious motion. A third lineman also was hanging out with the ref for no apparent reason.

Sure seems that the Lions were trying to get cute.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

jayshum 01-03-2024 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2401764)
Agreed. You are supposed to motion to the referee that you are eligible and verbally say it as well. #70 motioned to the ref but says he didn't say anything. #68 told the ref he was eligible but didn't make an obvious motion. A third lineman also was hanging out with the ref for no apparent reason.

Sure seems that the Lions were trying to get cute.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Apparently that's what the NFL concluded in a report about the game. While the referee still may have made a mistake, the Lions were trying to confuse things to make Dallas unsure about who they needed to cover.

jingram058 01-03-2024 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2401792)
Apparently that's what the NFL concluded in a report about the game. While the referee still may have made a mistake, the Lions were trying to confuse things to make Dallas unsure about who they needed to cover.

After a review of the known facts, it appears that their own head coach robbed the Lions.

Cliff Bowman 01-03-2024 01:53 PM

I hope the Lions do make the Super Bowl because they have never been there and that would mean the 49er’s and Eagles don’t go, but they got smoked in Baltimore, should have lost twice to the Bears, and were embarrassed at home by the Packers.

jayshum 01-03-2024 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2401799)
I hope the Lions do make the Super Bowl because they have never been there and that would mean the 49er’s and Eagles don’t go, but they got smoked in Baltimore, should have lost twice to the Bears, and were embarrassed at home by the Packers.

Hard to see the Eagles getting there the way they have been playing for the past month.

Gorditadogg 01-03-2024 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2401795)
After a review of the known facts, it appears that their own head coach robbed the Lions.

Haha yep

StraightRaceCards 01-03-2024 09:27 PM

As a cowboys fan, I agree we got lucky there.

Definitely a bad call from the refs!

Lions should have won…