Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rare Boxing Card Sells for $27,600 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=111321)

Archive 12-06-2007 09:08 PM

Rare Boxing Card Sells for $27,600

Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>The 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano<br /><br />What an unbelievable card, I followed this auction and was not sure it would sell. In the last hour it really gained interest. Boxing card sales in general have been slow this past year after having a great two years. The rare card is unknown to many collectors unless you start talking about it. We have had a few discussions on this board about the 1948 Leaf set and this card. I think we know how rare this card really is, even before the auction ended.<br /><br />I placed this on the Baseball Card section as well<br /><br />Jimmy<br />

Archive 12-07-2007 05:19 PM

Posted By: <b>Larry</b><p>Here are some items that would likely go for a higher price than the Graziano if they came to auction:<br /><br />any N167 boxing card in Near Mint<br /><br />Old Judge Cabinet of John Sullivan in Near Mint<br /><br />Corbett vs. Sullivan program in Near Mint<br /><br />Corbett vs. McCaffrey full ticket in Near Mint<br /><br />Corbett vs. Sullivan full ticket in Near Mint<br /><br />Fight worn boxing gloves and equipment from the early HOFers<br /><br />Locks of hair from the early HOFers<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive 12-08-2007 01:01 AM

Posted By: <b>XanaduNow</b><p>
Quote:

Here are some items that would likely go for a higher price than the Graziano if they came to auction:<br /><br />any N167 boxing card in Near Mint<br /><br />Old Judge Cabinet of John Sullivan in Near Mint<br /><br />Corbett vs. Sullivan program in Near Mint<br /><br />Corbett vs. McCaffrey full ticket in Near Mint<br /><br />Corbett vs. Sullivan full ticket in Near Mint
<br /><br />The most important words in each of those listings are "near mint." It would take a rarity to show up in a previously unknown condition to possibly reach the Graziano in much lesser condition. If you have enough money you can get an N167 whenever you want, they're listed on ebay. No matter who you are and how much money you have there are a certain amount of conditions that have to fall in line in order for you to obtain a Leaf Graziano. In my opinion it's incomparable to any other boxing card.<br /><br />As far as the non-card items, I don't see their relevance. There are plenty of boxing-related/themed items that would sell for as much or more as the latest Graziano but that's like comparing apples and crystal meth. I have no idea what a lock of hair from an early HOFer (or any athlete, no matter the sport) would go for and I'm quite comfortable living the rest of my life without that piece of information, but that's just me.<br /><br />The Leaf Graziano is king.<br /><br />Arthur<br /><br />

Archive 12-08-2007 05:47 AM

Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>Also, I do not think a near mint N167 would pull the same $$ as the Graziano. Boxing collectors are not nearly as impressed as baseball collectors with grades. It would be nice but 10x-20x the cost of a "regular" N167, I doubt. <br /><br />Graziano has a notoriety that is unique. I can think of many rarer cards but none with its rarity and visibility. <br><br>Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Archive 12-08-2007 08:12 AM

Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>Boxing programs have always done well, rare autographs and some cards, but as a boxing collector and seller - it would take some really great stuff to equal the amount for this rare card. <br /><br />Jimmy<br />

Archive 12-14-2007 05:02 PM

Posted By: <b>Paul Grubor</b><p>I had one of the Rocky cards in the late 80's and sold it in an SCD auction for under 2k. How many of these exist? Mine came from a guy that grew up in the Chicago area and then moved to Streator, Il. He told me that all of his cards were purchased at a local store in the Chicago area. I wonder if a few were released and then production halted. Does anyone know or have some insight on this? <br /><br />Paul

Archive 12-14-2007 05:52 PM

Posted By: <b>XanaduNow</b><p>I believe the number is around 5-6 copies of the Graziano known.<br /><br />Arthur

Archive 12-14-2007 05:59 PM

Posted By: <b>marty quinn</b><p> "Locks of hair from the early HOFers"<br /><br /> the longer i stare at that quote the more it makes me scratch my hair!..ummm....head..sorry<br /><br /><br /> i think XanaduNow got it right on, a psa 9 mint 52 mantle would sell for more to, but what's the relevance.<br />