Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BST advice - selling to brand new member? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333923)

Belfast1933 04-08-2023 11:55 AM

BST advice - selling to brand new member?

Hello all

I just received an offer on a card I am selling in BST from a brand new member here (literally, joined yesterday).

He sounds like a nice young collector but is there any way to ensure I don’t slip into some scammer risk by giving him my PayPal name? He’s willing to pay F&F. (I have a lot, maybe too many 🤣 posts here!)

Any thoughts selling to a brand new member here? Any other way to check via Ebay of other card pages like Facebook?

Thx for sharing advice/experience

Jeff

Rhotchkiss 04-08-2023 12:05 PM

If he pays you before you send the card, I am not sure what the risk is in regards to the card transaction. If you are afraid he somehow hacks your PayPal account… well, not sure how to advise about that other than to suggest he send you a check, or better, a money order, instead.

Also, if you are proximate to each other, you could meet in person.

One final option is to have someone serve as a middle man, but not sure how you find that person and I am not volunteering

If it’s really that big of a concern, don’t do the deal with the dude.

BobbyStrawberry 04-08-2023 12:18 PM

I recommend asking for some references. Perhaps could even be non-card collecting related

Leon 04-08-2023 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast1933 (Post 2330543)
Hello all

I just received an offer on a card I am selling in BST from a brand new member here (literally, joined yesterday).

He sounds like a nice young collector but is there any way to ensure I don’t slip into some scammer risk by giving him my PayPal name? He’s willing to pay F&F. (I have a lot, maybe too many 🤣 posts here!)

Any thoughts selling to a brand new member here? Any other way to check via Ebay of other card pages like Facebook?

Thx for sharing advice/experience

Jeff

I think you did the right thing by PM'ing me. I picked up the phone and called him. He picked up and sounded ok. Trolls and scammers don't have good phone numbers IF, and they almost never do, have one at all on file. A huge red flag.
No one that has PM'd me for a reference has gotten scammed yet.

That all said, there is no history so you still need to do some due diligence on new trading partners.

Please keep being careful!!

nwobhm 04-08-2023 02:28 PM

Payment in the form of a USPS Money Order. Cash at USPS counter. Ship item. Done.

chalupacollects 04-08-2023 02:32 PM

Ther is a FB group you can run his name against called Sports Card Scammer Tracker. Search the page by name for any known FB issues...

G1911 04-08-2023 02:42 PM

If they are paying you F&F before you ship they are taking 100% of the risk and should be checking up on you. I can’t see how this could possibly work against you.

Belfast1933 04-08-2023 04:01 PM

Thx all.. as always, Leon goes the extra mile and I felt good about it.

Done deal. Thx again, all