Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Offer Your Guess: Which of These 5 Card Types Worth More in 5 Years? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169436)

GregMitch34 05-26-2013 06:14 PM

Offer Your Guess: Which of These 5 Card Types Worth More in 5 Years?

Thought it would be interesting to survey the (you) experts and ask, given various current trends, which of the following type of t206 cards will be worth more money five years from now, and why. They all have about the same current price value--$200--based on recent sales.

Non-elite HOFer, PSA 4.
Common PSA 6
Southern Leaguer PSA 4
Common w/ Tolstoi, EPDG, Cycle or AB 350 back PSA 4
HOFer with those backs PSA 2s, some PSA 3s

travrosty 05-26-2013 06:17 PM

i say the psa 6, condition is going to go nuts more and more. my take on it.

Eric72 05-26-2013 06:19 PM

PSA 4 Southern Leaguer was my first guess.

HOFers graded a VG 3 (with a Tolstoi, EPDG, Cycle or AB 350 back) seem to be a much better place to park $200 for a few years.

Best,

Eric

warrior1978 05-26-2013 06:22 PM

Hofer in PSA 2 or 3 with one of the scarcer backs

NewEnglandBaseBallist 05-26-2013 06:24 PM

HOFer with those backs PSA 2-3

Pre-War HOFers will always be in demand and have nowhere to go but up.

Mick_7 05-26-2013 06:32 PM

Definitely the HOF with rarer backs. They are bringing in record prices right now and will continue to soar.

Eric72 05-26-2013 06:41 PM

HOFers with scarce backs are only getting $200 in VG 3? Please pardon my ignorance. Where do I sign up?

I will edit my original response accordingly. Apologies to all.

Best,

Eric

GregMitch34 05-26-2013 06:44 PM

On HOFers with scarce backs--that's why I wrote 2/3. It has varied a lot, depending on HOFer. I got two PSA 3s last week for $210-220.

GregMitch34 05-27-2013 06:43 AM

I guess a lot of it comes down to whether the current "scarcity" trend eases or heightens.

Cardboard Junkie 05-28-2013 10:48 AM

Am I the only member here who thinks that all of our cardboard will be worth less in 5/10 years? Dave.

insccollectibles 05-28-2013 11:04 AM

I would guess the HOF's with rare backs. I don't see the back craze going away.

novakjr 05-28-2013 11:12 AM

I think given the negative attention that psa had gotten lately, I'm gonna trend towards the possibility that higher grades(in PSA) may not be held in "as high" of a regard 5 years from now.

Now having said that, the Hall of famers jump to the top, the rarer backs(I believe) will keep trending upwards...So Hof with the rarer backs..(even assuming you meant non-elites)...I also think the non-elites will trend upwards on their own anyways...

I think SOME of the reason's that the non-elites are valued so low, could be the perception created by the guides. It's hard to justify a significant price jump in the books on a card that's been valued at almost common price for so long, just because of an election almost 80-100 years after a player's playing days. Most pre-war cards rarely change "book values", and most of the time the pre-war and/or more obscure sets seem to be priced based on tiers rather than actuality. I think at some point this may change and the marginal hofer will go up a few ticks, and just be viewed as a HOFer, with his once common days a faded memory....

GregMitch34 05-28-2013 11:14 AM

Yes, that's a key question--the one about where prices for all cards will be in 5 to 10 years. i've read a few theories here based on age--as a Boomer myself--and how that will (may) influence things down the road. Some have assumed drastic drop in interest and prices in a few years as Boomers retire and unload and far fewer younger collectors. Others claim that in retirement Boomers will have more time (and in some cases, money) to collect. Myself, I wonder if there will be a boom for 10 years and then a drastic drop as Boomers truly unload (or die).

The other issue is what about those younger collectors? After all, this is not about nostalgia for cards we grew up with in '50s and '60s but for cards over 100 yrs old. So where do younger people stand on that?

joeadcock 05-28-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1137888)
Am I the only member here who thinks that all of our cardboard will be worth less in 5/10 years? Dave.

Nope Dave

When our economy junks(as it will, impossible to be sustained in the way it is going), most of the card values might flop. But some certain(in demand cards)will be sought after even with freefall.

tcdyess 05-28-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeadcock (Post 1137919)
Nope Dave

When our economy junks(as it will, impossible to be sustained in the way it is going), most of the card values might flop. But some certain(in demand cards)will be sought after even with freefall.

I agree, I think there is going to be a great buying opportunity in next couple years....

Cardboard Junkie 05-28-2013 12:11 PM

As the U. S. dollar is replaced as the "world standard". Our country will economically collapse. The U. S. is destined to be a 3rd world nation. There will be the rich and the poor. No middle class. A depression that will make the 30's seem like a Sunday picnic, and last until there is a "change" in the consciousness of humankind, or an end to humankind.
Carry on gentlemen. :) Dave

sportscardpete 05-28-2013 12:12 PM

I think once everyone gets tired of T206 collecting and all the rare back craze, they'll shift back to D or E cards... Bound to happen anyway...

I will say that low grade rare back HOFers probably have the best bet to move up in value.

Jlighter 05-28-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1137924)
As the U. S. dollar is replaced as the "world standard". Our country will economically collapse. The U. S. is destined to be a 3rd world nation. There will be the rich and the poor. No middle class. A depression that will make the 30's seem like a Sunday picnic, and last until there is a "change" in the consciousness of humankind, or an end to humankind.
Carry on gentlemen. :) Dave

Sure.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cardaholic 05-28-2013 12:41 PM

Election 80-100 years afterward?

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 1137902)
I think given the negative attention that psa had gotten lately, I'm gonna trend towards the possibility that higher grades(in PSA) may not be held in "as high" of a regard 5 years from now.

Now having said that, the Hall of famers jump to the top, the rarer backs(I believe) will keep trending upwards...So Hof with the rarer backs..(even assuming you meant non-elites)...I also think the non-elites will trend upwards on their own anyways...

I think SOME of the reason's that the non-elites are valued so low, could be the perception created by the guides. It's hard to justify a significant price jump in the books on a card that's been valued at almost common price for so long, just because of an election almost 80-100 years after a player's playing days. Most pre-war cards rarely change "book values", and most of the time the pre-war and/or more obscure sets seem to be priced based on tiers rather than actuality. I think at some point this may change and the marginal hofer will go up a few ticks, and just be viewed as a HOFer, with his once common days a faded memory....

George Davis and Vic Willis were elected 80-100 years after they played, but far more of the non-elite HOFers have been in Cooperstown for a very long time - e.g., Bresnahan, Griffith, Huggins, Duffy, Jimmy Collins, Flick, Joss, Beckley, Clarke, Kelley, Marquard, Wallace, McGinnity, and McGraw. Of that group, Joss was the only one elected after 1971, and he went in in 1978. More of that group were elected before 1946 than after 1970.

I too would go with the rare back HOFers for the most likely increase.

novakjr 05-28-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardaholic (Post 1137935)
George Davis and Vic Willis were elected 80-100 years after they played, but far more of the non-elite HOFers have been in Cooperstown for a very long time - e.g., Bresnahan, Griffith, Huggins, Duffy, Jimmy Collins, Flick, Joss, Beckley, Clarke, Kelley, Marquard, Wallace, McGinnity, and McGraw. Of that group, Joss was the only one elected after 1971, and he went in in 1978. More of that group were elected before 1946 than after 1970.

I too would go with the rare back HOFers for the most likely increase.

Sorry. Yeah. I was speaking more of the fringe guys...

Cardboard Junkie 05-28-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1137932)
Sure.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I sense your sarcasm. I caution everyone to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Peace:) Dave.

Jlighter 05-28-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1137942)
I sense your sarcasm. I caution everyone to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Peace:) Dave.

People have been predicting the end of humanity since the beginning. I doubt anyone on here will live to see it.:)

joeadcock 05-28-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1137954)
People have been predicting the end of humanity since the beginning. I doubt anyone on here will live to see it.:)

Agreed, maybe not the end of humanity.

Doubtful that our economy can take this debt, does not seem sustainable.

So likely a definite effect on the card market.

Big Six 05-28-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1137942)

I sense it's easier to type those sentiments from the closest thing the U.S. has to paradise...if things ever get that bad (some days I think they will and some days I don't), at least you have the luxury of living your days under the stars! :)

Cardboard Junkie 05-28-2013 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 1137958)
I sense it's easier to type those sentiments from the closest thing the U.S. has to paradise...if things ever get that bad (some days I think they will and some days I don't), at least you have the luxury of living your days under the stars! :)

Gotta admit life is good on the big island. :D:D Dave

oldjudge 05-28-2013 02:56 PM

Assuming that the politicians don't screw it up, we are heading for a period where the US will have the cheapest energy in the world and will be energy self sufficient. This will provide a tremendous competitive advantage for our industries and will usher in a great age of prosperity. That just means that I am bullish on America. Cards, who knows? Just like any other market, prices down the road can be lower or higher than they are today. The biggest mistake one can make (see housing prices in 2007) is assuming that a market will only move in one direction.

GregMitch34 05-28-2013 05:12 PM

Yeah, we've seen predictions here and elsewhere about collapse of U.S. economy since 2008. Wonder why those making the predictions haven't sold all their cards already? I will happily take a few off their hands if they want.

Tanman7baseball 05-29-2013 05:08 AM

I see all cards going down in the future, because as the older generation that has hoards of valuable vintage cards start to pass away then the market will flood... Then I will swoop in and buy all the cards for unbelievably cheap prices :D:D:D:D:D!!!
But honestly I think the majority of collectors are in their 40s and 50s. I'm in my early twenties and don't know one person in Orange County, CA that's my age that like/buy cards in general... I will say I met a few guys my age in Oklahoma though. So where will the demand be for cards in 30 years? A lot less than there is now is my prediction. I hope I'm wrong though... I don't want to be the only one left on this forum in 50 years....

Tanman7baseball 05-29-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1137976)
Gotta admit life is good on the big island. :D:D Dave

David for some reason I always pictured you as a chubby Somoan with a pony tail... Obviously I was wrong lol it's that islander stereotype I guess. Looks like you're living the dream though!!!