Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Josh Hamilton...is he done? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202229)

ullmandds 02-25-2015 06:14 PM

Josh Hamilton...is he done?

Anyone know what trouble Hamilton is in now?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...211645910.html

bouncer 02-25-2015 08:06 PM

One rumor I read josh had a relapse involving cocaine.

1963Topps Set 02-26-2015 10:11 AM

Is he done? The real question is did he begin?

Jayworld 02-26-2015 12:24 PM

He had several really good years for the Texas Rangers, including an MVP year, and was in the All-Star game every year; many surmise that his rash of injuries, especially of late, could be due to the drug abuse he engaged in early in his career. He was starting to show signs of breaking down the last year or so with the Rangers, and he has been far from productive as an Angel.

Is he done? I think so. Did he ever start? Of course, with the Rangers....

packs 02-26-2015 12:29 PM

He's also 34 now, so you have to factor that in. I hope he's not finished because he's always been a nice guy with the fans and seems to really appreciate what he has.

I don't see how you could question his ability though. When he did play, he averaged 32 homers, 112 rbis and .292 average over 162 games. Pretty solid performance, though brief.

Econteachert205 02-26-2015 03:09 PM

If it is a relapse, especially in the severity of his case before, it would be nice to see people treat it properly as a disease and be supportive of him.

7nohitter 02-26-2015 06:49 PM

I feel bad for the guy. His addiction got the better of him, but I hope he's able to bounce back. However, as stated above, he IS 34 and he has not had a 'great' season in two years.

CMIZ5290 02-27-2015 08:00 PM

Yes, he is done...I would be shocked if he recovers and becomes a player half what he used to be...

Lgarza99 02-27-2015 09:20 PM

I think he is done, but I wish him well. He just hasn't been as explosive and engaged the last few years. Usually injuries make a story for what could of been, but in this case it's drugs in his early years as well as now in his mid thirties.

SmokyBurgess 02-28-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1384895)
If it is a relapse, especially in the severity of his case before, it would be nice to see people treat it properly as a disease and be supportive of him.

+1

egri 02-28-2015 07:55 PM

I have an aunt who has struggled with alcoholism and mental illness. In the decade-plus that I've been aware of what was going on (I'm 20, so it didn't register when I was younger) I've noticed that she oscillates between stretches of sobriety and drunkenness, and that the trend has been for her sober time to decrease while the length and severity of her drinking spells increases. Hopefully Hamilton can turn it around, but I would not be surprised to hear more stories like this in the future.

clydepepper 02-28-2015 11:43 PM

It's a sad day for all the fans, but worse for Hamilton and his family.

We will always remember the incredible Round 1 he had in Yankee Stadium!

- and the 4 HR game!

Yes, he's had a living hell with substance abuse, but there has never been anyone saying that his performance on the field wasn't genuine.

I'll always be more inclined to forgive someone whose weaknesses bring him into jeopardy - rather than someone who consciously puts the integrity of the game in jeopardy.

It does seem troublesome that he has relapses when he's away from the game - which probably provides the structure he needs to avoid his demons.

However, as fans, we should pray for him....not especially to return to the game, but to straighten out his life.

CMIZ5290 03-03-2015 04:11 PM

This guy is one of the two or three most talented guys ever to enter in the Majors IMO. Ironically, A-Rod would be one of my others. Hamilton is obviously battling a lot of demons, I do wish him well. Bottom line, since that huge contact with the Angels, he has pretty much been a bust.....

autograf 03-04-2015 08:55 AM

Shows the depths that drugs can take you to though....he has a beautiful wife and kids I think.....great job....tons of money.....and still the lure gets him. Hopefully he can get the help he needs and have a support structure that keeps him moving forward.

dgo71 03-05-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1384895)

While I agree in principle they need to be careful about the precedent they set with whatever the arbitrators decide. If it were someone more villified than Hamilton, would the public be OK with rehab and treatment over a suspension. That's not the talk I was hearing when it concerned A-Rod last year. They have to be consistent in the application of their rules, now and going forward, so this could be a potentially sticky situation.

Bocabirdman 03-11-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1387508)
While I agree in principle they need to be careful about the precedent they set with whatever the arbitrators decide. If it were someone more villified than Hamilton, would the public be OK with rehab and treatment over a suspension. That's not the talk I was hearing when it concerned A-Rod last year. They have to be consistent in the application of their rules, now and going forward, so this could be a potentially sticky situation.

ARod does not suffer with addiction. He was just looking for an edge over growing old. There can be NO comparison and the disciplinary action taken by MLB should come from a completely different place. One is sick, the other, a cheat.

packs 03-11-2015 01:30 PM

I think playing baseball can only help Hamilton. His demons seem to eat at him when he's not playing baseball. So I would caution MLB over banning him.

There seems to be some type of trigger involved with his family. If I remember correctly, the last time he relapsed it was also due to a fight with his wife. I don't know anything about Hamilton's family life. But it seems like something there is triggering his relapses.