Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KSA getting some love (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=296192)

goldenage 02-06-2021 11:47 AM

KSA getting some love

KSA opc Gretzky cards are getting some nice results on ebay.
KSA was once known as forbidden fruit in some parts.
I wonder if guys like Mike and Brian Wentz carrying some of their
cards has helped their reputation. I'm old school, and I like to stick
with PSA or SGC, but every grading company has it's flaws.
Anyway, looks like KSA is starting to get some respect.

esehombre 02-06-2021 12:03 PM

KSA Gretzky

Thanks for posting this as it allowed me to take a look at some cards i had not looked at in years. I bought a 1979 Gretzky in a KSA 8.5 several years ago. I paid what at the time was a pretty strong price (about $1100) but was happy because the card looked amazing. I was a little nervous that i may have overpaid especially with it not being in one of the traditional grading companies. I just took a look at the prices of KSA cards and after picking my jaw up off the floor now realize i didnt have much to worry about haha.

samosa4u 02-06-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenage (Post 2065163)
I wonder if guys like Mike and Brian Wentz carrying some of their
cards has helped their reputation.

Definitely! The largest card show in Canada takes place twice a year at the Toronto International Centre. When you walk in through the main door, the BMW tables are the first thing you see. They always have so many high dollar items that make people drool. Then, suddenly, they started putting some of these cards inside KSA holders - even the 52' Topps Mantle! Everybody was very surprised by this move. However, all of this was a few years ago. I don't believe the Wentz brothers submit to KSA any longer.

Peter_Spaeth 02-06-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2065190)
Definitely! The largest card show in Canada takes place twice a year at the Toronto International Centre. When you walk in through the main door, the BMW tables are the first thing you see. They always have so many high dollar items that make people drool. Then, suddenly, they started putting some of these cards inside KSA holders - even the 52' Topps Mantle! Everybody was very surprised by this move. However, all of this was a few years ago. I don't believe the Wentz brothers submit to KSA any longer.

One of their IDs has 1266 KSA cards.

samosa4u 02-06-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2065194)
One of their IDs has 1266 KSA cards.

Yes, but these were slabbed years ago.

Peter_Spaeth 02-06-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2065203)
Yes, but these were slabbed years ago.

Then I guess they aren't selling well.

maniac_73 02-06-2021 01:20 PM

KSA has done a lot to change they're reputation. Years ago they were known for slabbing trimmed cards. The new owners and graders now are supposedly much better.

samosa4u 02-06-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2065208)
Then I guess they aren't selling well.

They gave thousands of cards to KSA. So, that number you mentioned is actually not that bad. Anyhow, since this pandemic started, all the bluechips they had sitting inside KSA holders are gone.

strohman99 02-07-2021 06:33 AM

In Canada, there seems to be a divide among support for KSA. Some like KSA because they are located in Canada and it's easier for them to submit cards to them, but most high end and vintage collectors avoid them. They seem to have stuck around due to the fact that they are convenient for many in Canada to use.

Some argue that they have turned themselves around and are grading on par with PSA, SGC and Beckett. But they have so many poorly graded cards out in the wild, it would be impossible to differentiate new "legit" cards from the old sheet cut and inflated grade cards. i don't see them as a good investment because the grades aren't accurate and don't offer any reassurance that they aren't trimmed or counterfeit.

At this point if they wanted to become the "New" KSA, they would have to acknowledge their prior poor level of service, introduce their new staff of graders with grading criteria, and use a new slab/label that looks nothing like the old one so that collectors would know when they were buying a card that falls under the new guidelines. If they have a pop report, they need do wipe it clean and start with only these new cards. Make it new company completely, or change their name.

I don't see myself ever buying a KSA graded card.

irv 02-07-2021 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2065441)
In Canada, there seems to be a divide among support for KSA. Some like KSA because they are located in Canada and it's easier for them to submit cards to them, but most high end and vintage collectors avoid them. They seem to have stuck around due to the fact that they are convenient for many in Canada to use.

Some argue that they have turned themselves around and are grading on par with PSA, SGC and Beckett. But they have so many poorly graded cards out in the wild, it would be impossible to differentiate new "legit" cards from the old sheet cut and inflated grade cards. i don't see them as a good investment because the grades aren't accurate and don't offer any reassurance that they aren't trimmed or counterfeit.

At this point if they wanted to become the "New" KSA, they would have to acknowledge their prior poor level of service, introduce their new staff of graders with grading criteria, and use a new slab/label that looks nothing like the old one so that collectors would know when they were buying a card that falls under the new guidelines. If they have a pop report, they need do wipe it clean and start with only these new cards. Make it new company completely, or change their name.

I don't see myself ever buying a KSA graded card.

I agree with that.

The new guy, Nate, is supposed to be much better, or so I am told, so, like you said above, if he was hired/purchased the company to start anew, then those things you mentioned would have definitely been the way to start.

I've never sent any cards in for grading but I am currently leaning toward a newer company that I believe was started in 2016?
They are named MNT and are also located in Canada, in Elmira, (not far from KSA), but so far, I like what I have seen from them and the reviews they have received.
I've contemplated getting my cards graded for years now so this doesn't mean I am sending them out tomorrow or anything, but when I finally decide to, this company will be high on my list.
https://mntgrading.com/

jb217676 02-07-2021 07:40 AM

Honestly guys, if you have the patience just use PSA. I sent a bulk sub of 40 cards to PSA in January this year, I'm totally cool if it takes 8-12 months to get them back. I'll also be sending in some higher value cards in ten card lots at the $50 & $75 level, at that higher rate they'll come back quicker than any bulk subs at $12 per card. I plan on keeping a few cards for myself out of those submissions but most will be sold when I get them back. You'll get the best return on PSA cards, most people won't even sniff around any other grading companies. You're throwing money out the window with these poorly regarded grading companies.
Jeff

Tomi 02-07-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2065450)
I agree with that.

The new guy, Nate, is supposed to be much better, or so I am told, so, like you said above, if he was hired/purchased the company to start anew, then those things you mentioned would have definitely been the way to start.

I've never sent any cards in for grading but I am currently leaning toward a newer company that I believe was started in 2016?
They are named MNT and are also located in Canada, in Elmira, (not far from KSA), but so far, I like what I have seen from them and the reviews they have received.
I've contemplated getting my cards graded for years now so this doesn't mean I am sending them out tomorrow or anything, but when I finally decide to, this company will be high on my list.
https://mntgrading.com/

There is a thread on this company in the Blowout hockey section. One of the guys said that a holder came apart in his hands while going through his stuff.