Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tax Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300511)

jasonraider 04-17-2021 06:09 PM

Tax Question

Do people hire tax advisors for this?

steve B 04-22-2021 09:00 AM

I suppose it depends on what "this" is...

TUM301 04-22-2021 09:55 AM

I for one sure would.

mr2686 04-22-2021 10:32 AM

I hire them for This and That.

BobC 04-22-2021 08:34 PM

Tax Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonraider (Post 2093961)
Do people hire tax advisors for this?

Probably depends on what exactly you are asking about. Are you talking about being a dealer, or how to report hobby sales, or what? And assuming you start doing something hobby/card related that you have little or no tax knowledge about, it would probably behoove you to at least ask someone with that type of knowledge a few questions before you get really far into what you are doing so you don't run into some unexpected (and unpleasant) surprises. You can even try asking for help on this board with more specific questions. Just be careful and watch who is giving you advice on the board and try and ascertain if they really have the knowledge and background to help. Many times when people have started threads asking tax and related questions on this board, a lot of well meaning members will offer help/advice that isn't always complete or accurate when it comes to those specific tax related questions and situations. It isn't something necessarily being done on purpose, just that the good intentioned members may have incomplete information themselves, or not wholly understand the circumstances and facts regarding a specific tax question and repeat back what they had been told/heard elsewhere. Good luck.

steve B 04-22-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 2095530)
I hire them for This and That.

AND that??!!!

darnit! I'm always the last to get the memo!

egri 04-23-2021 11:26 AM

Without knowing the specifics, I would trust a tax advisor over strangers on a message board. I don't doubt that the members here mean well when they offer advice, but unless they do it for a living, you're going to get a lot of anecdotal stories and advice that may not apply to your situation, or might have at the time but is now outdated.

BobC 04-23-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 2095912)
Without knowing the specifics, I would trust a tax advisor over strangers on a message board. I don't doubt that the members here mean well when they offer advice, but unless they do it for a living, you're going to get a lot of anecdotal stories and advice that may not apply to your situation, or might have at the time but is now outdated.

There actually are some members on Net54 that are tax professionals, and is why I suggested the OP could try asking tax questions on here to possibly get some tax insight from a fellow collector's viewpoint. But as you and I both pointed out, you have to be careful as to who responds to such threads and endeavor to make sure they know what they are talking about. And any really serious tax dicussion with someone from the forum would likely be better handled via PM, or even more appropriately through a subsequent phone call(s). My point of posting such questions on here in a thread would be to find one of those members who are tax professionals, and then follow up with them either through PMs or on the phone.