Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Anyone have any Gary Carter cool items or stories they want to share? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=310134)

Carter08 11-06-2021 07:36 PM

Anyone have any Gary Carter cool items or stories they want to share?

Thanks!

Peter_Spaeth 11-06-2021 07:52 PM

I was at game 4 of the 86 WS in Boston when he went deep twice. I may have hated him more than I have ever hated another player lol. He was like Rose, you literally could feel his will to win in the stands.

guy3050 11-06-2021 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was at the Game when he got his last career hit in his last career at bat a double over the head of ex-teammate Andre Dawson

SteveS 11-06-2021 08:01 PM

My first job out of college was managing a sports merchandise store in an LA mall. We had a regular customer who happened to be deaf. He was a tremendously nice guy, and had a knack for being able to get into locker rooms after games. He ended up befriending Gary Carter, and surprised me one day with an autographed ball that he had him personalize to me.

isiahfan 11-07-2021 12:53 AM

Not him but....

I played softball against his brother a few times...he was a monster that probably hit HRs in 80% of his AB.

Side note: I always found it odd how Fisk/Carter/Parrish were pretty similar in stats/awards...and Parrish isn't even mentioned with his contemporaries who are widely regarded as no-brainer HOFers.

philliesfan 11-07-2021 07:12 AM

Not really a cool story but.......he was always one of my favorite players until after the 1981 season MVP voting.
This was the strike season whereas the Expos beat the Phillies in the division championship series.
He said that he should have been the MVP and not Mike Schmidt because his team beat the Phils in the DIv. Championship. Yep, only because his team beat the Phils. What a joke when comparing the numbers. That is when I changed my mind about him.
Quick numbers.....Schmidt 31 HR, Carter 16....Schmidt 91 RBI, Carter 68.....Schmidt .316 BA, Carter .251.
Four others finished higher than Carter that year.
Probably not the kind of story you wanted to hear but it's true.

Rich Klein 11-07-2021 07:18 AM

I was at the Mets Opening Day in 1985 and this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhCGSa4kFaM

From that moment on, NY fans loved him.

BTW -- it was so damned cold at Shea Stadium that day that my feet are still frozen.

Rich

clydepepper 11-11-2021 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Had this for a while, seller's regret:

Attachment 487119

I got to thinking about that seller's regret and got this:

mrmopar 11-16-2021 12:12 PM

Reminds me of a seller on ebay who was claiming to have a 1971 Topps set that once belonged to Charlie Sheen and was asking a crazy premium for it. The difference here is that those cards are marked as coming from Gary Carter, where as the set was just raw in a binder and 9 pocket sheets!

Not sure I could/would pay a premium for an item once owned by someone of interest, but it could be a cool conversation starter if I had anything like that.

mrmopar 11-16-2021 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I discovered this series when someone sold a Steve Garvey on ebay years back. Turns out, there were two different Garvey after I did some extensive research into the issue.

They are from a 70s-80s Canadian magazine and certain issues (not all) contained 2 pages worth of these "cards". Sometimes it was hockey, sometimes baseball, sometimes football. I noticed that when it was baseball, it was either 8 stars or 8 Expos players. They were clearly meant to be clipped and saved with the dotted lines between them. I categorize them in the bubblegumless arena. The backs are either articles or photos and are not related to the fronts, but still a cool little magazine "card".

rtsjr12534 12-18-2021 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carter, Jenkins, Ford, Molitor, Niekro, Rizzuto, Doerr, Ozzie Smith, Sparky Anderson, Marichal, Bench, Kiner, Irvin, Yount, Seaver, Carlton, Fingers, Murray, McCovey, Perez, Snider, Murray, Winfield, Schoendienst, Roberts, Brock, Lasorda, Bunning, Weaver, Perry, Mazeroski, Cepeda, Morgan, Kaline, Billy Williams, Kell, Brooks Robinson, Eckersley, Reggie Jackson, Palmer, Killebrew, Koufax, Fisk, Brett, Carew and Berra.

bat won in his estate auction 1/1

Chicosbailbonds 12-27-2021 05:27 PM

Loved Carter on the Expos, then he went to the Mets. His 84 Donruss signed is pretty tough, only signed for charity.