Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scammer alert - he’s watching this board (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=335428)

Bram99 05-15-2023 11:39 AM

Scammer alert - he’s watching this board

There is a shark out there who watches these postings and must look up contact info of those interested in postings and contacts them via email.

The person who did this to me used the following email and phone number:

Dcmdrek@gmail is the email he used to reach out.
Josephcramer410@gmail. This is the Zelle.

He probably will change the email and phone number but he method of scamming is the thing you should all watch out for.
Make sure you know who you are dealing with as a seller.
Tony

trambo 05-15-2023 12:08 PM

Easiest way to curb this scammer is to not put an email address in the listing. I've gotten 1-2 emails from a scammer each time I put something up on the BST pages with my email address. It stopped completely after I asked potential buyers to PM with questions.

Bram99 05-15-2023 12:44 PM

this is correct. However, this scammer noted that I was interested in a listing based on my note to the seller in his listing. Then they emailed me directly from the net54 contact button rather than PM'ing me.

So moral of the story is that you should wait for a PM from the seller through Net54 rather than emailing someone outside of this site.

bnorth 05-15-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bram99 (Post 2340104)
this is correct. However, this scammer noted that I was interested in a listing based on my note to the seller in his listing. Then they emailed me directly from the net54 contact button rather than PM'ing me.

So moral of the story is that you should wait for a PM from the seller through Net54 rather than emailing someone outside of this site.

If they used the Net54 email then neither of you would have gotten the others email address just from that. It is a way to anonymously email in my personal experience using it.

Bram99 05-15-2023 04:30 PM

Email?

I don’t know how he got my email but he emailed me directly and it wasn’t the seller.

Casey2296 05-15-2023 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bram99 (Post 2340168)
I don’t know how he got my email but he emailed me directly and it wasn’t the seller.

I had that happen to me on a recent sale also, came to my email address through Net54 but not in my PM Box. Thought it was strange until it read "How much u pay?" instant block.

raulus 05-15-2023 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2340181)
I had that happen to me on a recent sale also, came to my email address through Net54 but not in my PM Box. Thought it was strange until it read "How much u pay?" instant block.

When I click on a member's name, it gives me the option to send a private email. Not sure if that's how the scammer did it, but it came to mind as a possibility.

See blurry screenshot below.

Casey2296 05-15-2023 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2340186)
When I click on a member's name, it gives me the option to send a private email. Not sure if that's how the scammer did it, but it came to mind as a possibility.

Right, but that would go to my PM box, this came to my outside email address via net54. Really strange, ive never seen that before.

bnorth 05-15-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2340186)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2340189)
Right, but that would go to my PM box, this came to my outside email address via net54. Really strange, ive never seen that before.

For me those do not go to my PM box. They go to my email but do not show the senders email. It is a way to email with another member without giving them your email address, unless it recently changed.

Peter_Spaeth 05-15-2023 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2340192)
For me those do not go to my PM box. They go to my email but do not show the senders email. It is a way to email with another member without giving them your email address, unless it recently changed.

That is right about where it shows up but I thought those messages gave you the sender's address to reply to.

bnorth 05-15-2023 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2340195)
That is right about where it shows up but I thought those messages gave you the sender's address to reply to.

I will send you one and we will see.:)

Peter_Spaeth 05-15-2023 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2340197)
i will send you one and we will see.:)

lol

theshowandme 05-15-2023 06:26 PM

No need to post your email address in 2023

The Tapatalk mobile app allows you to upload photos from your phone in posts and messages to members.

Please protect yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 05-15-2023 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2340199)
lol

It gives me your email.

bnorth 05-15-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2340201)
It gives me your email.

Thanks for the update. I know it never used to and the person who got it had the option of giving theirs when returning the email through the system.

Peter_Spaeth 05-15-2023 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2340204)
Thanks for the update. I know it never used to and the person who got it had the option of giving theirs when returning the email through the system.

It offers two ways to respond, it gives a link and it also gives the sender's email address.

Jewish-collector 05-15-2023 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are options for each user. Not sure if it helps or not.

Attachment 571306

Eric72 05-15-2023 07:06 PM

That was quite helpful. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2340208)
There are options for each user. Not sure if it helps or not.

Attachment 571306

frohme 05-16-2023 09:41 AM

Watch for texts as well, if you're not careful...

They will also look for your phone number in old posts and try to reach you via text, if you happen to include it in a post.

Had one reach out two months ago after a B/S/T post, but it was pretty obviously sketchy... wondered how he had my number until I searched for it on Net54 and found I'd put it in four posts over the many years... no clue why, but I figure that's the source.

BeanTown 05-16-2023 10:03 AM

Might change the title to “they” are “trolling” this board. Wonder if there is a driving factor behind the scene on this to? Seems these con artist(s) have general knowledge on collectibles.

Vintagedeputy 05-16-2023 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bram99 (Post 2340168)

Scammers use some of the same things that law enforcement and private investigators use. I was in LE for 12 years. It took me all of two minutes but I can tell you your wife's name, what your mother did for a career, and where your father played minor league ball....where you work, your brother's names, etc. Its all there for scammers to steal from each and every one of us.

The internet is a treasure trove of info that scammers use every day. We've all (myself included) become too trusting of big brother and we play fast and loose with our info. An email address is not hard to find.