Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1909 Reds Team photo (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333302)

milkit1 03-23-2023 03:34 PM

1909 Reds Team photo

2 Attachment(s)
Edit: I believe they are all identified now!
Received my 1909 opening day Reds team photo. Trying to positively id everyone in it. Seeing if anyone can help id the missing three and see if I got any wrong. I am so going to kick myself as the top row guy I cant id is driving me crazy) Here goes:
Top row: Rowan, McLean, Bunny Pearce, Kid Durbin, Egan, Bescher, Chick Autrey, Hulswitt, Fromme, Huggins, Gaspar and Griffith
Middle Row: Dubuc, Hoblitzell, Mowrey, Karger, F. Roth, Billy Campbell
Front Row: Ragan (possibly Ellam), Lobert, Mitchell, Bob Spade (not positive), Ewing, Paskert, Oakes, Moriarty
Thanks!

Attachment 564080

Attachment 564081

Pat R 03-24-2023 04:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sean, is it possible that the guy you're missing in the top row is Rudy Hulswitt? You're also missing Gasper in the top row on the right with his arms folded.

Attachment 564184

Attachment 564183

RUKen 03-24-2023 07:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've pasted below the opening-day roster of the Reds in 1909, as reported in Sporting Life. The names on this roster that are not on the OP's list are:

Ralph Savidge, Jimmy Wacker, Rudy Hulswitt, Tom Downey, and Dick Bayless.

I think Bayless may be a good match for the guy in the top row, eighth from the left, rather than Hulswitt. I've included the Bayless image from baseball-reference.com below.

Names on the OP's list that were not on the opening-day roster reported in Sporting Life are:

Chick Autrey, Frank Roth, Jack Bushelman, Pat Ragan, and Roy Ellam.

milkit1 03-24-2023 07:29 AM

Thanks Guys!
Yeah I had Gaspar but forgot to write him down when typing this out lol
That is definetly Rudy Hulswitt in the top row 100%.
Thanks for posting the info, this will help narrow down the last two for sure :)

milkit1 03-24-2023 07:39 AM

Bottom far right : Bill Moriarty
Bottom far left - I think is Pat Ragan :)

perezfan 03-24-2023 12:45 PM

Nice job!

Love the design and clarity of the photo. Those faces are sharp as a tack!

milkit1 03-24-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2326396)
Nice job!

Love the design and clarity of the photo. Those faces are sharp as a tack!

Thanks! Palace of the fans is my all-time favorite park.

perezfan 03-24-2023 02:11 PM

I’m with you. From the images I’ve seen, it looks like something from Ancient Rome. So regal and elegant!

RUKen 03-24-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUKen (Post 2326311)
I've pasted below the opening-day roster of the Reds in 1909, as reported in Sporting Life. The names on this roster that are not on the OP's list are:

Ralph Savidge, Jimmy Wacker, Rudy Hulswitt, Tom Downey, and Dick Bayless.

Names on the OP's list that were not on the opening-day roster reported in Sporting Life are:

Chick Autrey, Frank Roth, Jack Bushelman, Pat Ragan, and Roy Ellam.

I've just seen a newspaper article from two days after opening day that indicate that Autrey and Ragan were already on the roster, so they must have been added after the Sporting Life went to publication. In another article, I learned that Wacker had been released by Cincinnati just prior to opening day and was reclaimed by the Pirates.

I agree now that the top row player is likely Hulswitt, and I also agree with the Moriarty ID.

milkit1 03-24-2023 04:13 PM

Very cool! Glad you were able to find that! Yeah I think the bottom row far left is most likely Pat Ragan but will probably be the only one Im not 100% on.