Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Brooklyn Dodgers 1951 Home Coming (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161605)

SYDLIN 01-15-2013 01:56 PM

Brooklyn Dodgers 1951 Home Coming

4 Attachment(s)
New to the site and loving it. Just thought I'd show off my 1951 Brooklyn Dodger Home Coming Diner. The program lists all the attendees including the players, politicians and fan club members. My aunt, one of the faithful fan club members, did manage to have some players sign their autographs. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.:)
PaulAttachment 84522

Attachment 84523

Attachment 84524

Attachment 84525

39special 01-15-2013 02:41 PM

Welcome Paul! Thats a great piece you have there.I love seeing old Dodger stuff!!

dogmechanic 01-15-2013 06:01 PM

Really something to hold on to.GREAT:eek:

SYDLIN 01-15-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39special (Post 1074222)
Welcome Paul! Thats a great piece you have there.I love seeing old Dodger stuff!!

Thanks Steve. Have some other Brooklyn Dodger stuff I'll try to post

brickyardkennedy 01-15-2013 10:25 PM

As a Brooklyn collector, myself, I appreciate seeing this. Thanks, Paul.

SYDLIN 01-16-2013 09:48 PM

Thanks Bob. Will try to dig out some other Brooklyn memories

rlevy 01-17-2013 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That is a fun item, the Knot-Hole Club was an important part of Brooklyn's connection with the Dodgers. I still run into people who have fond memories of the Club.

I have a similar type of program (but from the L.I. Boosters) from 1956 after Brooklyn won the championship. The staff putting the dinner together tried to incorporate the players' name into the menu items, but weren't terribly creative.

Rick

Attachment 84665

brickyardkennedy 01-17-2013 11:24 PM

I very vaguely remember Happy Felton and the Knothole Club.

Cal Abrams used to tell a funny story of this event on the show, that would feature kids displaying their baseball skills and a guest Dodger who would pick the winner, who showed the most talent, in his estimation. The Dodger who was picked, would get, I think it was, fifty bucks. So, Cal, wanting that money pulled a kid to the side and said, "Kid, I'm going to pick you, as the winner. In return, you have to say that the Dodger that you want to meet, is me, Cal Abrams." The kid agreed and when time came and Happy said, "Ok son, Cal Abrams has picked you as our winner. Now, what Dodger would you like to meet?", the kid said. "Carl Furillo".

Cal did not say what his thoughts were, at that moment.

GoldenAge50s 01-17-2013 11:49 PM

Very sweet to have 2 original Campy sigs!

mr2686 01-18-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickyardkennedy (Post 1075236)
I very vaguely remember Happy Felton and the Knothole Club.

Cal Abrams used to tell a funny story of this event on the show, that would feature kids displaying their baseball skills and a guest Dodger who would pick the winner, who showed the most talent, in his estimation. The Dodger who was picked, would get, I think it was, fifty bucks. So, Cal, wanting that money pulled a kid to the side and said, "Kid, I'm going to pick you, as the winner. In return, you have to say that the Dodger that you want to meet, is me, Cal Abrams." The kid agreed and when time came and Happy said, "Ok son, Cal Abrams has picked you as our winner. Now, what Dodger would you like to meet?", the kid said. "Carl Furillo".

Cal did not say what his thoughts were, at that moment.

That's a great story. There's a nice little bit about Happy Felton and the Knothole gang in the HBO documentary "Ghosts of Flatbush" which has actor Louis Gossett Jr. talking about the time he was a kid and being on the show.

RichardSimon 01-19-2013 08:22 AM

There was a wonderful TV show called Brooklyn Bridge which ran for two seasons. It was about a family in Brooklyn during the 1950's.
One of the episodes was about how one of the kids in the family got on the Happy Felton show.

SYDLIN 01-19-2013 03:26 PM

Hi Rich,

Wow. I do remember that TV show. Really enjoyed it as well, having grown up
in Brooklyn. Thanks for jogging the old memory.