Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question about an autographed Yankees Team ball with Ruth (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331936)

wrm 02-20-2023 09:29 AM

Question about an autographed Yankees Team ball with Ruth

Question for those who are much more knowledgeable than me...

Any idea why Ruth would sign a 1932 Yankee team ball twice in 2 separate spots? The JSA cert. is original and checks out however on the cert. it makes no mention of ruth's 2 signatures. It mentions the other hall of famers but just curious why this may happen?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

packs 02-20-2023 10:12 AM

What kind of ball is it? If it's a ball made by a manufacturer who paid Ruth to promote their product, it might just have a facsimile signature and that's why it's not noted.

NiceDocter 02-20-2023 10:15 AM

Probably

Lots of times dozens of balls were passed round the clubhouse for team signatures….. this one must have gotten mixed up and Ruth hurriedly signed it a second time inadvertently. Almost makes it more likely to be real when something like this is present.

packs 02-20-2023 10:19 AM

True, but it would be very unusual to skip over a second signature on an LOA. Especially someone of Ruth's caliber and the expense associated with reviewing his signature.

swarmee 02-20-2023 11:13 AM

Why? Because if the team is passing around balls and signing 50 in a sitting, it's quite likely it made it into Ruth's hands twice and he didn't see his signature on it, so he signed it again.

packs 02-20-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2316431)
Why? Because if the team is passing around balls and signing 50 in a sitting, it's quite likely it made it into Ruth's hands twice and he didn't see his signature on it, so he signed it again.

I'm not saying that situation is unusual, I'm saying not noting the second signature on the LOA is. Ruth is one of the most expensive signatures to have examined and authenticate.

It wouldn't make sense to pay to authenticate one signature over the other, or for JSA to miss such a significant extra signature. That's why I suggested the ball may be a Babe Ruth sponsored baseball that features a facsimile signature.

wrm 02-20-2023 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2316404)
What kind of ball is it? If it's a ball made by a manufacturer who paid Ruth to promote their product, it might just have a facsimile signature and that's why it's not noted.

The manufacturer is Spalding and it also is stamped home run special just beneath ruth's second signature, the non-sweatspot signature

packs 02-20-2023 01:43 PM

Does it look like this one?

That is a facsimile signature and likely the reason only one signature appears on the LOA. This is not a signature, but a stamp.

wrm 02-20-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2316481)
Does it look like this one?

That is a facsimile signature and likely the reason only one signature appears on the LOA. This is not a signature, but a stamp.

That is it....thank you for solving this for my friend because I had no idea, but makes total sense now.
Thanks again