Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My First Post, and a vent (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295750)

Shemp 01-30-2021 06:07 PM

My First Post, and a vent

My first post! As Boris Badenov would say....allow me to introducing myself. I was collecting mid 60's Topps baseball sets back in the 1990's, completing a run of 1967 through 1970. I began to collect the Topps 1963 set in graded 7 condition, completing about half the set. Around 2006 I decided to pause collecting in order to better save for my retirement. At the beginning of 2020 I hit my monetary goal and decided to return to collecting the 1963 set. A month after I began the pandemic hit, and prices began to rise. By the end of the year my buying slowed down, as I think prices have become silly on many cards.

Moreover, since I must be a glutton for punishment, I started collecting the 59 Topps, also in graded condition, aiming for an average grade of 6. So far, have about 40 of these cards, with these prices also becoming silly.

I bid, and lose. Bid, and lose, etc etc. So tonight I decided to post here and vent....

not about prices, but about how too many sellers use annoying listing practices on E Bay. For instance, if I search for Topps baseball 1963 psa a whole mess of 1964 Topps baseball show in my search results. It seems some clown has, in the item specifics, listed the year as 1963. There must be 50 or so of these listed, so I'm positive this luxurious has done this intentionally. Annoying as all hell.I

Just wanted to get this off my chest. There, I feel better.

Joe

swarmee 01-30-2021 06:56 PM

You can point it out to them by message, or you can report his listings for keyword spamming.

Welcome to the boards. Make sure you read the grading scandal threads, and get a COMC account to minimize your shipping costs and save on purchases rather than through their eBay account.

Mike D. 01-30-2021 07:04 PM

It may not necessarily be intentional. eBay doesn't make it easy to list stuff without dozens of fields to fill in...if the seller also has 1964's for sale, could just be a mistake.

Shemp 01-30-2021 07:42 PM

The seller has messaging turned off. I did report him.

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading these boards for a while, and have read the grading scandal threads. The COMC account is a good idea which I'll check out.

mortimer brewster 01-30-2021 08:03 PM

I've been collecting since the 1970's and also have found prices bordering on the silly. I've decided to sit on the sidelines and just enjoy what I have for now.

I also met my retirement goals and finally have disposable income that I can divert to cards. I refuse to pay inflated prices though. I didn't get to this position by being careless.

Mark17 01-30-2021 08:26 PM

What I find even more deceptive than using a different year is when ebay sellers put in the title " not PSA". So if you're search criteria includes PSA, they show up.

mortimer brewster 01-31-2021 06:45 AM

or "PSA 6 should be PSA 7" and starting bid reflects a PSA 7 price

ALR-bishop 01-31-2021 07:34 AM

Welcome

Exhibitman 02-01-2021 11:01 AM

Making your first post a rant about eBay means you will be a perfect fit here.