Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help with possible fake 1954 All Star Photo Pack card(s) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297589)

mainemule 02-27-2021 08:16 AM

Help with possible fake 1954 All Star Photo Pack card(s)

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. I did not find anything on the Net54 "search" nor did I have much luck Googling this.....

I was excited to upgrade the card on right- 1954 All Star Photo Pack Ted, with card on left.

I strongly believe card I received is a repro/fake due to size, coloring on front and back, and actual clarity of photo.

Anyone run into these being faked before? Seller looked good and sold a bunch of these as part of a "set break."

Edit- any possibility of multiple print runs on these??

Thoughts?

mainemule 03-02-2021 06:46 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've had one Net 54 private message response and someone else on a FB group give me contrary opinions.

I've not found any evidence these were reproduced but these do look "different."

Thanks!

AustinMike 03-02-2021 12:50 PM

Since I really don't know too much about the '54 All-Star photo packs, I don't have a definitive answer for you. But, I collect Mantle and Yankee items. I have Yankee photo packs from various years and 3 years, 1958, 1959, and 1960, use the same photo that is in the '54 All-Star pack. I can't get my hands on the '58 photo pack right now, but, the '59 and '60 are both 6 by 8-1/2 inches (according to my notes the '58 is the same size). The '59 does appear to have more of a brownish tint than the '60. I also have the photo with a '54 All-Star envelope. It is 5-15/16 by 8-5/8 inches (slightly narrower and taller than the Yankee photo pack pictures). So, could one of your photos be from a Red Sox photo pack? That might explain the differences.

mainemule 03-02-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMike (Post 2075810)
Since I really don't know too much about the '54 All-Star photo packs, I don't have a definitive answer for you. But, I collect Mantle and Yankee items. I have Yankee photo packs from various years and 3 years, 1958, 1959, and 1960, use the same photo that is in the '54 All-Star pack. I can't get my hands on the '58 photo pack right now, but, the '59 and '60 are both 6 by 8-1/2 inches (according to my notes the '58 is the same size). The '59 does appear to have more of a brownish tint than the '60. I also have the photo with a '54 All-Star envelope. It is 5-15/16 by 8-5/8 inches (slightly narrower and taller than the Yankee photo pack pictures). So, could one of your photos be from a Red Sox photo pack? That might explain the differences.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have most of the Sox team photo packs, full teams from 40s and 50s, and none look like this. Seller advertised as 54 All Star pack set break and this is the same image/format/design as known 54 All Star packs.

This remains a mystery......

AustinMike 03-03-2021 06:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemule (Post 2076013)
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have most of the Sox team photo packs, full teams from 40s and 50s, and none look like this. Seller advertised as 54 All Star pack set break and this is the same image/format/design as known 54 All Star packs.

This remains a mystery......

My apologies, I messed up. I don't know where my head was yesterday. When I went to scan the photos this morning, I realized the photos I referenced were not the same as the '54 All Stars photo. But, I knew one of the Yankee photo packs had the same picture. It is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle, it is the same image as the '54 All Star photo. It also has slightly different dimensions. The '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle photo is 6-1/8 by 8-13/16 inches. It is slightly larger than the '54 All Star photo.

In the attached photos, the '56 Yankee Picture Pack photo is on the right of the two separate photos. Since the scale is off, I took a photo of the two of them together. The '56 Yankee PP photo is on the left in it. The last photo is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack envelope.

Could there be a similar Red Sox picture pack?

mainemule 03-03-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMike (Post 2076126)
My apologies, I messed up. I don't know where my head was yesterday. When I went to scan the photos this morning, I realized the photos I referenced were not the same as the '54 All Stars photo. But, I knew one of the Yankee photo packs had the same picture. It is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle, it is the same image as the '54 All Star photo. It also has slightly different dimensions. The '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle photo is 6-1/8 by 8-13/16 inches. It is slightly larger than the '54 All Star photo.

In the attached photos, the '56 Yankee Picture Pack photo is on the right of the two separate photos. Since the scale is off, I took a photo of the two of them together. The '56 Yankee PP photo is on the left in it. The last photo is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack envelope.

Could there be a similar Red Sox picture pack?

This adds an interesting rub to my situation. I can't measure at the moment but my older/sepia colored photo is slightly smaller than the other. This seems similar to your two.

I have not ever seen a Sox 50's team pack with the name in the "small box" like with these supposed 54 AS pack photos. Nor have I ever seen other Sox players on this format.

Seller did have a Mantle like yours that went for a pretty penny- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-All-St...p2047675.l2557

I do feel a bit better that mine is not a modern fake/repro but I am still digging.