Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   and on the next page...another Paige (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300192)

YazFenway08 04-11-2021 06:32 PM

and on the next page...another Paige

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all

I would appreciate two-fold opinions on this autographed '53 Paige

(1) opinion on authenticity of the autograph, and

(2) if the autograph is deemed authentic, would this card be a worthy candidate for a dual grading/authentication with a TPG?

the auto is a little light, and the card by itself is probably a "2" at best...but would a "2" grade on the card, and a "7" on the auto add any more value than just a straight "authenticated", encapsulated card?

I have never submitted an autograph to a TPG, let alone a "dual grade" one...would really appreciate opinions

thanks
Mike

YazFenway08 04-11-2021 06:33 PM

aaaannnddd I have no idea how I managed to attach those sideways...sorry

egri 04-12-2021 05:44 AM

The signature looks good to me. As for the TPA part, that's out of my area of expertise, though there is a Paige in REA and another in Heritage, and neither have grading.

YazFenway08 04-12-2021 06:13 AM

thanks scott...I completely missed that one at REA so thanks for catching it. That card/signature looks a lot like mine, but that card is a tad nicer I think

thanks again

Republicaninmass 04-12-2021 06:23 AM

Absolutley worth grading, but wait until they open the Express $150. I cant see spending 300 for psa. I dont think Beckett will realize the same sales price, if you were looking to maximize profit.

Scott Garner 04-12-2021 06:33 AM

Satchel Paige older vintage signature is legit.
I'm not a PSA slabber, so no comment on that, FWIW.

Duluth Eskimo 04-12-2021 07:37 AM

I believe it is good as well

YazFenway08 04-12-2021 03:56 PM

Thanks gentlemen for the opinions and comments. After Scott alerted me to the ones currently at auction, I checked those. I am still going to do some more work on the "benefit" of having both the card and the auto "graded" as well as just authenticated.

Its interesting that REA has a nice '60 Yaz rookie, graded "7" on the card and "10" for the auto...will follow that for sure to see how much of a premium, if any, it garners to similarly slabbed but not graded examples.

thanks again

BillyCoxDodgers3B 04-12-2021 10:02 PM

While it presents nicely, the card is too rough to be bothered with a numerical grade. I'm not sure we're seeing the most accurate representation of the signature's boldness with the photos you've provided. I have a suspicion that it's nicer in person. Even so, I'm going to venture that it wouldn't grade stronger than an 8, so again that weighs against waiting longer and paying more for that aspect of the authentication process. I'd opt for a straight autograph authentication and the identification of the set the card is from (as opposed to the other "trading card" flip. Better yet, if you're planning on selling, just consign to a major auction house and wash your hands of the headache of dealing with it yourself. Or try your hand at selling it here, ungraded, free of fees. The autograph is of the no-brainer authentic variety.

YazFenway08 04-13-2021 05:51 AM

Thanks BillyCox3. I think that is an accurate assessment of the card and solid advice. It is nice and the signature does present better than the pic... Just not an upper-echelon combo but I think comparable to others I have seen on the block

I am confident on the provenance, but really have no way to “prove” it so always appreciated to get opinions here first

Thanks again
Mike