Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Postcard necesito informacion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302024)

Roland 49 05-15-2021 04:22 PM

Postcard necesito informacion

2 Attachment(s)
I need information about these post cards, series name and year, thank you.

richardcards 05-15-2021 04:28 PM

Exhibit 1928?

Rolando

not familar these but look like
exhbit post cards 1928.
I like these.

nolemmings 05-15-2021 04:38 PM

The Gonzales and Marsans cards definitely came from Felix Mendelsohn's m101-6 set (1917-20), but that set was not post-card size, closer to 4 1/2 X 6 1/2. Someone used his photos-- I note these two did not have Mendelsohn's copyright symbol on them, so that may have helped them to use the images.

Roland 49 05-15-2021 04:40 PM

Richard, in the 90s I bought a lot of about 70 postcards from this time, I separated the one from the Cubans in an envelope, and a few days ago I found them, but I don't have catalogs where they could appear, I thought that maybe some of the members Could you give me information, thanks for you.

Roland 49 05-15-2021 04:58 PM

Todd

Todd, my specialty is Cuban baseball, I thank you for the information, all the postcards that I show have the same reverse, except for the last one from Gonzalez in S. Louis, that one looks more modern and from another series. Thanks

nolemmings 05-15-2021 05:08 PM

Yes I know. The Gonzales card, if authentic, is from the Sears 1946 set.

nolemmings 05-15-2021 05:14 PM

Yes I know. The Gonzales card, if authentic, is from the Sears 1946 set.

To my knowledge, Mendelsohn neither made postcards nor authorized others to use his images from m101-6; however, a few other card sets in the '20's "borrowed" some of his images. In any event and as you know from their careers, the Gonzalez and Marsans photos would have been from circa 1917 when first used. Gonzalez also appears in the m101-6 set with the Giants--thus from 1919 or 1920 (same photo, different caption). Good luck tracking down the info.

Roland 49 05-15-2021 05:19 PM

Tood

Todd, you tell me that Gonzalez, Sears's is authentic, so the others, are they forgeries?

nolemmings 05-15-2021 05:43 PM

No Roland, that is not what I am saying. I do not collect the Sears set, nor many postcards of any kind, so I am not in a position to say if any are authentic or not. I do not know if they were reprinted, and if so, with proper permission or not.

I can say with some confidence the two cards you show that use Mendelsohn's photos were not issued in the 1917-20 time frame that m101-6 was distributed. Some of his images were used in sets from the 1920's, but from what I have seen, those were in recognized card sets. Whether someone chose to use the photos to create postcards, rightly or wrongly, I do not know. It is known in the hobby that many reprints using old photos were created in the 1970s and surrounding decades.

cardinalcollector 05-15-2021 07:03 PM

I've never seen any reprints of the Cardinals and Browns Sears issue. They are very difficult to find.

Roland 49 05-15-2021 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Todd, I understand it very well, here in the Cuban collections of cards and postcards, copies were also made, with the same images, so I show it in my catalogs, once they showed me a Lemke catalog and I saw that it had cards, postcards, pins. etc. I thought that perhaps what I showed could be cataloged, now you will see an example that I have in my catalog Volume 2, one is from the collection of cigars "Trinidad y Hno" and the other from "Chocolate La Imperial" and they show the same photo, one It is a postcard and Trinidad's is 8x10 inches, I have several more of this, thanks for the information.

Roland 49 05-16-2021 12:09 AM

Randy, thanks for your information.

rhettyeakley 05-18-2021 08:41 PM

Rolando, Tengo tres ejemplos de esta serie. Nunca he visto a otros y no sabia que hay un Luque.

Mis ejemplos...
http://starsofthediamond.com/postcardcubanacosta.jpg http://starsofthediamond.com/postcardcubandibut.jpg http://starsofthediamond.com/postcardcubanpalmero.jpg

rhettyeakley 05-18-2021 08:45 PM

I got the 3 examples I have from Ryan's auction a few years back.

It appears these cards were issued to show the players that had played in the Major Leagues from Cuba, I suspect they simply used the available art from the M101-6 set for Marsans and Gonzalez. They have the look and feel of 1920's postcards so I do not question the authenticity of them. Just not sure if they were issued in Cuba or the USA... the backs being in English is interesting but doesn't mean they couldn't have been made and distributed in Cuba.

Roland 49 05-18-2021 10:15 PM

Rhett, those postcards I bought in the 90s were about 70, and those of Cubans I separated them in an envelope at that time, and a few days ago I found them, the rest were from Major League Baseball players of that time, many have passed years and I do not remember if the reverse of the others was the same, and I do not know if I have the rest at the moment, what you explain is correct, you wrote that you have 3 examples, but I do not see the photos of them, if you can send the photos, greetings.

rhettyeakley 05-18-2021 10:47 PM

sometimes the images don't work on Google Chrome (at least for me) so try a different browser if you are using Chrome.

Roland 49 05-19-2021 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rhett, I always communicate with net54 from my mobile and I use Chrome, now I connected through the computer and the 3 images of Acosta, Dibut and Palmero looked very good, I had not seen Acosta's, a while ago I connected to Ebay cubanbaseball and I see that a Luque Exhibit postcard is for sale, it is the same image but in mine it is seen behind part of another player's uniform, stands etc. and in Exhibit's, none of the above, all blurry, what do you think? the 2 photos go.