Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Gauging Interest in a Possible 1981 Rack Pack Rip (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323348)

JollyElm 08-10-2022 06:58 PM

Gauging Interest in a Possible 1981 Rack Pack Rip

1 Attachment(s)
I need to pay even more gargantuan medical bills (no comments, this isn't a 'woe is me' thing) and had an idea. I have had these two unopened 1981 Topps rack packs forever (three pics, but only two different packs)...

Attachment 529060

...and was thinking of doing a live pack break on one of them to raise a little money. (Of course, I would have to clear it with Leon to make sure it's allowed here.) Unfortunately, 1981 Topps isn't exactly a valuable set. Off the top of my head, I believe the keys are the Raines, Baines, and Valenzuela rookies, plus the assortment of stars like Reggie, Nolan Ryan, 2nd year Ricky and the like.

The packs say 48 cards, so there would be 48 spots available (unless there's a reason to believe it holds more/less cards than the number stated). There are no stars pictured front or back. The 'glass half full' side of me says that means the insides are star-filled. :cool:

I have no specifics at this point, but if you have any insight, please LMK if this is even worth it.

Casey2296 08-10-2022 07:37 PM

Why don't you raffle off some of that great 60's & 70's stuff you have? Lots of members here would support you.

swarmee 08-14-2022 08:29 PM

Not worth it. I doubt even Vintage Breaks gets $3/slot for 1981 Topps. And then include free shipping in a cardboard mailer for every order.

I bought a couple 1981 rack packs last year from an Antique Mall in Florida for like $10 each and opened them.

hockeyhockey 08-17-2022 12:56 PM

i'd agree with john. not really a sought after item.

but you do have some ridiculous duplicates of some incredible stuff. i know you always prefer trading, but man, i'm sure a lot of people would be all over some of it for $$$.

good luck with everything.

mrreality68 08-19-2022 06:48 AM

sadly i agree. the concept is good and if the year was right many of us would be interested but that was not one of the better years

JollyElm 08-19-2022 01:40 PM

Yeah, I figured it was pointless. Would've been fun, though. But with my luck, if it was truly a pack from a great year with valuable cards to be found, as soon as the live event started happening, there'd be a glitch with the camera cutting out or the internet connection failing and the whole thing would quickly become a nightmare.
Crisis averted. :)

mrreality68 08-20-2022 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2254613)
Yeah, I figured it was pointless. Would've been fun, though. But with my luck, if it was truly a pack from a great year with valuable cards to be found, as soon as the live event started happening, there'd be a glitch with the camera cutting out or the internet connection failing and the whole thing would quickly become a nightmare.
Crisis averted. :)

Sadly crisis averted but would have been fun to be involved if the year and potential was right.

Do we have a special “term” for that?