Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   First food issue in a long time (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286439)

steve B 07-22-2020 10:11 PM

First food issue in a long time

Picking up groceries today, I noticed the 12 pack of Utz chips had exclusive Topps cards. Bought a bag, (The one with 12 snack size bags inside)

Included is one pack of three cards plus at least in mine, a header/coupon for more Topps cards.

special numbers, Like utz28, etc. And a different front design.

No idea yet how many in the set.
No offer on the bag for a mail in set.

Could be a decent one.

sportscomicfantasy 07-22-2020 11:40 PM

I never heard of Utz chips, what part of the country are you in?

Are their chips good? (Stomach growling, time to get a snack, I was fine till you mentioned food!)

roarfrom34 07-23-2020 07:59 AM

set info

https://www.beckett.com/news/2020-to...aseball-cards/

Rich Klein 07-23-2020 08:05 AM

Just so you know, this is actually the 2nd year UTZ has cards in their product.

https://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,i100,=2019+utz

Regards
Rich

steve B 07-23-2020 10:30 PM

I'm a bit north of Boston.

I didn't see the cards earlier in the year, but what's online says they've been out for a while. Maybe Market Basket just didn't get them?

I didn't see them last year.

The chips are ok, about what you'd expect from a brand priced between lays and store brands.

swarmee 07-24-2020 03:33 AM

Previous wide distribution food issue was 2016 Wal-Mart Marketplace Pizza. Been a long time since Cracker Jack has had any cards.

t_vguy 07-24-2020 05:55 AM

UTZ cards are awesome

I personally collect them and love them.

There's 2 sets -- 2019 and 2020.
The 2019 set is identical to 2019 Topps flagship except for the numbering and UTZ logo. These sets could be purchased from UTZ.

The 2020 set is a whole other beast entirely. I personally how they look nothing like Topps flagship but sadly when I contacted UTZ about purchasing complete sets, they answer was "no, we aren't selling them".

They are a nice niche product and are considered SP's. They run quite a bit more than their regular Topps counterparts and while production numbers aren't known, the general feeling is that it's a great deal less than regular product.

I wish they sold UTZ chips here in Colorado but they're a product of the NE. Actually no, I'm glad they don't because I'd be buying 100s of bags of chips LOL

ALR-bishop 07-25-2020 08:04 AM

You can order the chips on Amazon in different quantities but I did not see anything mentioned about the cards, and Steve seemed to say the chips themselves are just ok.

Orioles1954 07-25-2020 09:16 PM

The Utz chips are only in the large multi-bag packs. I live in Maryland and was just at the supermarket tonight and they are everywhere. I did buy a few and pulled a Mike Trout (on top) of the cello pack and sold for 20 bucks on ebay. The plastic containers are specially marked as having Topps cards. I like them.

Gary Dunaier 07-25-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscomicfantasy (Post 2001783)
I never heard of Utz chips, what part of the country are you in?

Utz used to advertise in Yankee Stadium. In the original ballpark's final seasons, it had the ad on the extreme right end on the outfield wall. According to Wikipedia, Utz was a sponsor of the Yankees until 2012.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3068/2...6b2839e7_c.jpg
(Photo taken June 18, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

bmattioli 07-26-2020 03:20 PM

I've been waiting for a food promo for awhile, thank for the info.. The chips are tasty IMO..

th

bmattioli 07-26-2020 04:24 PM

Just went to a local store and found two. Yea Haw, reminded me of the old days chasing down regional/national food issues which I love. My favorite was trying to complete the '86 Jiffy Pop set and ate so much of it I usually gave it away. My nemesis was the Gooden and had to trade a couple sets to get it as I was stationed overseas and it was difficult to complete the set with one store..

Harliduck 07-26-2020 11:47 PM

Read this thread and saw that there was a Kyle Lewis...being from Seattle, no Utz chips here, went and bought one on Ebay. Very cool card, and I don't do modern. Appreciate the thread...thanks!

rgpete 08-01-2020 11:12 AM

I called UTZ its a regional issue in the Philly , New York to Maine Area and they were sold out of the bags that contain the cards. My daughter picked up 4 from Shop Rite in NJ for me today

CobbSpikedMe 08-01-2020 09:37 PM

I picked up a bag the other day and pulled an Acuna Jr. They're neat cards.

Thanks,

AndyH

toppcat 08-01-2020 10:01 PM

Utz makes our favorite chips, bar none. The regular chips are fab but the harder to find Red Hots are basically crack in chip form.

EldoEsq 08-02-2020 08:57 AM

The cards in this pack are Utz cards I believe...I had 2 packs, opened one. Cant find the singles for the life of me, I'm sure we have all been there!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f62be26793.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

commishbob 08-02-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 2005110)
Utz makes our favorite chips, bar none. The regular chips are fab but the harder to find Red Hots are basically crack in chip form.

Agree 100% Utz' specialty chips are terrific. We like the Salt & Vinegar and the Sweet Heat varieties.

Only one Houston chain carries them, and they have the typical 'MLB Licenced Product' logos but the packs that contain cards are not here in the Houston market as far as I can tell.

Bigdaddy 08-05-2020 07:09 PM

Picked up two 12-packs of chips with the cards here in VA this week. Three cards/pack, wrapped in clear cellophane with enough room that you can thumb through the cards. First pack had Trout in the middle and the second pack had Harper in the middle. Nice looking cards.

You know, I've eaten/drank my fair share of M&Ms, Quaker bars, Frosted Flakes, Slurpees, Ho-Hos and Twinkies. I guess a few bags of 'tater chips won't hurt at this point.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=28624

rgpete 08-07-2020 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found them today at a Food Lion in Farmville, NC bought two family packs. Plus getting six more packs from NJ compliments of my Mom and daughter

rgpete 08-08-2020 12:17 PM

I got them today The packs included Dustin May, Mike Trout, Acuna Jr and Yordan Alverez

rgpete 08-08-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2006251)
Picked up two 12-packs of chips with the cards here in VA this week. Three cards/pack, wrapped in clear cellophane with enough room that you can thumb through the cards. First pack had Trout in the middle and the second pack had Harper in the middle. Nice looking cards.

You know, I've eaten/drank my fair share of M&Ms, Quaker bars, Frosted Flakes, Slurpees, Ho-Hos and Twinkies. I guess a few bags of 'tater chips won't hurt at this point.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=28624

I did the same over dosed on Frosted Flakes in 70's , Hostess but our Dalmation did the same with Milk Bone Biscuits back in 1993

steve B 08-08-2020 09:51 PM

Picked up a couple more bags this week, Last time it was the ones with all regular chips, this time only the ones with mixed chips.

6 more cards, not nobody. Maybe a rookie? At least I'm 6 cards closer to having the set and have plenty of chips.

Now to eat them quick enough to not take ribbing form my wife is I buy more. (She says I'm a slave to marketing... and might be right. Stick a ballplayer on the package and I'll probably buy some)

davidan 08-11-2020 10:53 PM

Thanks for sharing these, just picked up the two Texas Rangers on eBay for my favorite team. Nice looking cards.

Exhibitman 08-15-2020 01:30 PM

Is there an UTZ logo somewhere?

commishbob 08-15-2020 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2008719)
Is there an UTZ logo somewhere?

UTZ is printed upper right as part of card number. This pic from an eBay listing

Attachment 413944

edit: Looks like it's been that way for both years.

commishbob 08-15-2020 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooops, missed this. Last year... Utz logo on the front of their 2019 cards

Attachment 413945

Gary Dunaier 08-15-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2006251)

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2007070)
Now to eat them quick enough to not take ribbing form my wife is I buy more.

You know, nobody actually has to eat the product. The manufactures know we just want the cards... and I'm sure they don't care what we do with the chips, as long as we buy 'em. :D

steve B 08-16-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2008834)
You know, nobody actually has to eat the product. The manufactures know we just want the cards... and I'm sure they don't care what we do with the chips, as long as we buy 'em. :D

But I like the chips.

picked up another bag today. Target just had one multi flavor bag and that was all. Between the kids and I we like everything except the barbecue flavor. So they go pretty quick anyway.

Gary Dunaier 08-17-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2009184)
But I like the chips.

Nothing wrong with that!

But I'm sure there are many of us out there - I'm one of them - who, as kids, struggled with a cereal we begged our mothers to get, even though we...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df4eb8b8_o.jpg

...but we wanted the toy that came with it.

And, of course, our mothers wouldn't get a new box of cereal until we finished off this one. So in that sense we really had to earn that toy.

Of course, now that we're grownups, mommy's not around to make us eat all of the cereal, or the chips, or whatever the food product is, that we bought just to get the cards, so those of us who don't like the chips are free to dump 'em and just dig the cards. :)

(But just to be safe, let's not tell the wife. :D)

YazFenway08 08-18-2020 11:41 AM

OK...now i am addicted to both completing this set AND eating the chips....luckily I found a local deli that donates meals to local hospitals, first responders, food banks etc and they are going to take all my little bags to include in those meals.

Here's my comment on the cards...in about one out of every two bags/packs opened, each of the three cards has a dual "crease", about an inch apart, running the entire vertical length of the cards. Impacts each of the cards equally. Looks mechanical...like a roller or some other part of the printing process...did not happen whilst in the bag due to poor handling as the "creases" are far too uniform.

Has anyone else found similar issues? At this rate, putting together a "mint" set will be really tough

Mike

rgpete 08-18-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YazFenway08 (Post 2009622)
OK...now i am addicted to both completing this set AND eating the chips....luckily I found a local deli that donates meals to local hospitals, first responders, food banks etc and they are going to take all my little bags to include in those meals.

Here's my comment on the cards...in about one out of every two bags/packs opened, each of the three cards has a dual "crease", about an inch apart, running the entire vertical length of the cards. Impacts each of the cards equally. Looks mechanical...like a roller or some other part of the printing process...did not happen whilst in the bag due to poor handling as the "creases" are far too uniform.

Has anyone else found similar issues? At this rate, putting together a "mint" set will be really tough

Mike

I have 10 packs 5 from New Jersey and 5 from North Carolina no dual creases

steve B 08-18-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2009468)
Nothing wrong with that!

But I'm sure there are many of us out there - I'm one of them - who, as kids, struggled with a cereal we begged our mothers to get, even though we...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df4eb8b8_o.jpg

...but we wanted the toy that came with it.

And, of course, our mothers wouldn't get a new box of cereal until we finished off this one. So in that sense we really had to earn that toy.

Of course, now that we're grownups, mommy's not around to make us eat all of the cereal, or the chips, or whatever the food product is, that we bought just to get the cards, so those of us who don't like the chips are free to dump 'em and just dig the cards. :)

(But just to be safe, let's not tell the wife. :D)

I was lucky that the toys I wanted came in the cereals I liked*. And that mom only went on an "only healthy cereals" kick much later.
Healthy was defined by her as being in consumer reports top 10 healthy cereals. So mostly grape nuts and cardboard flakes.
Then after two years..... froot loops made the list!

She eventually caved and let us get whatever cereals we wanted.

I still miss Quisp. And Quake... best toys, and they almost always actually worked. Captain crunch and frosted flakes were my other favorites.

Fetamore 08-21-2020 11:28 AM

Last week I purchased 8 bags at Walmart. Half of their stock did not have the Topps logo. This week they restocked and only 4 bags out of about 50 had the logo. If you want these cards, better get them soon.

Mike D. 08-22-2020 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YazFenway08 (Post 2009622)

That’s awesome! Great way to do some good with your collecting!

Jayhawke 08-23-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetamore (Post 2010451)
Last week I purchased 8 bags at Walmart. Half of their stock did not have the Topps logo. This week they restocked and only 4 bags out of about 50 had the logo. If you want these cards, better get them soon.

I went to Shop Rite this morning and they did not have any bags with the logo.

steve B 08-23-2020 08:19 PM

Target only had one way on the back of the bottom shelf. They may be done.

YazFenway08 08-24-2020 11:53 AM

yep...they have disappeared from the new re-stocks here in southwest virginia and northeast TN as well...bought the last 6 bags w/cards at walmart...all the new stock are without

if anybody is working on this set like I am, I have singles to trade...or I would buy your extras

this set will not beat me...

rgpete 08-31-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YazFenway08 (Post 2011410)
yep...they have disappeared from the new re-stocks here in southwest virginia and northeast TN as well...bought the last 6 bags w/cards at walmart...all the new stock are without

if anybody is working on this set like I am, I have singles to trade...or I would buy your extras

this set will not beat me...

I found two snack bags today in Greenville NC do you have any unopened packs to trade I am keeping mine in the packs or 1 unopened pack for 3 cards = 3 for 3

YazFenway08 08-31-2020 09:12 PM

I don’t currently have any unopened packs...I’ve busted all mine trying to complete the set. Lots of extras for trade

I only need the following for my set...mint, without the weird dual creases that apparently only I was lucky enough to find in some of my packs :mad:

Pujols
Springer
Tanaka
Jose Ramirez
Moncada
Senzel