Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finally confirmed - d311 print variations exist! ("bluegrass" variations) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=127286)

shammus 09-01-2010 08:06 PM

Finally confirmed - d311 print variations exist! ("bluegrass" variations)

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things I find fascinating about the hobby is when cards turn up with goofy printing errors, overprints, oddball reverses, etc... Or in other words, turn up looking different than how they're supposed to look. The d311 set is my favorite PCL set so I really enjoyed stumbling across this one.

The Van Buren on the left is how the card typically looks. What I'm figuring happened here is the example on the right missed a color pass (yellow) during the original print run. Either that, or the printer ran out of yellow toner altogether. The result is the card on the right which looks a little too blue, and yeah, has that neat looking blue grass.

I believe I remember someone mentioning these to me years ago so I don't believe this sort of a variation is new to the hobby, but it's a fun one nonetheless! This is the first one I've run into, or at least the first one where I was paying enough attention to catch it!

Attachment 24309

tbob 09-01-2010 09:23 PM

Dag nab it Brian, I figured maybe it was you who edged me out on this card :mad:
Nice pick up.

ethicsprof 09-01-2010 09:37 PM

brian

great pick up and great detective work!!!!
congratulations, ole buddy.

best, barry

toppcat 09-01-2010 10:02 PM

Those are great looking cards!

Anthony S. 09-01-2010 10:06 PM

Congrats, Brian. I remember looking at that card on Ebay last week and thinking something looked off about it, but couldn't put my finger on what it was.

shammus 09-01-2010 10:12 PM

Bob...I was sort of thinking that was you. I knew you had well over 6000 on the feedback meter. That's the only way I can tell people apart anymore :( I"m very surprised you and I were the only bidders on that card as well. Figured more people might have needed Van Buren anyways.

Tony...that was my first reaction to it as well. When I first saw it, I thought "That. Looks. Blue." I couldn't really figure out at first what was "off" about the card so I went to get my d311s, including the Van Buren I already had to take a look....

teetwoohsix 09-02-2010 08:00 AM

Nice card Brian !! Blue grass and pink skies.........isn't that a country song?
Congrats on your pick up and good eye for catching the variation too.

Sincerely, Clayton

Marckus99 09-02-2010 09:18 PM

Great find Brian!

tbob 09-03-2010 07:58 PM

Brian- I was bidding on the card thinking it looked a little odd but never did put my finger on it like you did. It makes sense because there is one other similar variation, that being the blue grass 1910 T212-2 Obaks Series 150 variation cards. I believe there are about 6 total with the rare blue grass and other strange shades on the card.