Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Doc Adams--A Founding Father of Baseball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305382)

marzoumanian 07-21-2021 09:02 AM

Doc Adams--A Founding Father of Baseball

I just read an obit in today's NYT (www.nytimes.com) for Marjorie Adams, who died of lung cancer at 72 on 7/7. Who cares, you say? If you love baseball history, take the time to read it. I learned a lot.
For years she fought for her great-grandfather, Doc Adams, to be inducted into the HOF. She was relentless and even though she is now dead Doc's election might occur in December. The well-known baseball historian John Thorn supports Doc's election so you know Mr. Adams is the real deal. He goes back to the 1850s and was involved in setting up the rules of the game we all know today.
I won't bore you with more details here but will instead conclude that I can guarantee you will say WOW when you read Marjorie's obit. It's worth searching out in the NYT obit section. Peace.

jingram058 07-21-2021 04:13 PM

Well, if the obit doesn't concern PSA grading, or if you are not in the clique of card investments brokers, welcome to where threads go to die...

mrreality68 07-21-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2125309)
Well, if the obit doesn't concern PSA grading, or if you are not in the clique of card investments brokers, welcome to where threads go to die...

Perhaps

But if you are into the History of the Game and History of the People behind the game it is very interesting

Klrdds 07-21-2021 04:26 PM

It would be nice to him get inducted . Doc is truly an unsung pioneer of baseball and deserves induction as much as others who've already been inducted from that era for their contributions to the game.
Unfortunately the last time he was on the ballot in 2015 he didn't fare well failing election by 1 vote.

todeen 07-21-2021 04:27 PM

I couldn't read the NYTimes obit, but you can read the same material with a clear lack of detail for editing at the following address:
https://texasnewstoday.com/marjorie-...ioneer/372068/

Thanks for sharing! I learned something new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FrankWakefield 07-21-2021 08:44 PM

I'm really glad I read that alternate article. Thank You for posting.

First, I think grandpa Adams is deserving of HOF induction.

And, the granddaughter was a graduate of my Mom's alma mater. As was the new female astronaut Wally Funk. I'd have missed that tiny bit of information had I not got to looking into Marjorie Adams.

I hope Doc gets in.

irishdenny 07-21-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2125309)

i've been here for quite some time now...
Prewar history threads Never dye as You say!

the threads You speak of have only been dying
since the amount of time You've been here! (:

jus sayin'

Casey2296 07-21-2021 09:07 PM

In the current "righting wrongs" environment the recognition for the pioneers of the game has not been included.

GaryPassamonte 07-22-2021 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2125372)
In the current "righting wrongs" environment the recognition for the pioneers of the game has not been included.

I couldn't agree more.

rootsearcher60 07-22-2021 05:35 AM

I personally knew Marjorie for ten years. She was a remarkable woman with a passion for baseball history and especially proving that her great-grandfather deserved recognition for his role in baseball. She will be missed.

triwak 07-22-2021 12:10 PM

It will be interesting to see if Doc ever gets inducted - from a card-collecting standpoint. Will ANY collectible from his lifetime containing his image, ever surface? I'm wondering if any commemorative cards have ever been issued?

Robert_Lifson 07-22-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triwak (Post 2125542)
It will be interesting to see if Doc ever gets inducted - from a card-collecting standpoint. Will ANY collectible from his lifetime containing his image, ever surface? I'm wondering if any commemorative cards have ever been issued?

There is at least one period image of Doc Adams that has surfaced (but they are few and far between!) The discovery of the 1862 Knickerbockers Reunion Team Photo including Doc Adams was one of the most exciting and miraculous finds I ever had the privilege and good fortune to handle.

Here’s the Sports Collectors Daily story of this find from 2007 just days after:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...eball-history/

John Thorn suggested to me that he felt it likely this team photograph was taken in honor of Doc Adams’ departure from the club. Late in 1862 Adams announced plans to leave New York, move to Connecticut and get married (which is exactly what he did). John Thorn thought it likely that this assemblage of early original Knickerbockers was gathered to pay tribute to Adams. To me, Doc Adams is a Hall of Famer and has been one always. Someday I am sure Cooperstown will agree!

doug.goodman 07-22-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2125314)
I couldn't read the NYTimes obit, but you can read the same material with a clear lack of detail for editing at the following address:
https://texasnewstoday.com/marjorie-...ioneer/372068/

Thanks for sharing! I learned something new.

Wow, the writer and editor of that story deserves to be in a Hall of Fame.

mrreality68 07-22-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 2125313)
It would be nice to him get inducted . Doc is truly an unsung pioneer of baseball and deserves induction as much as others who've already been inducted from that era for their contributions to the game.
Unfortunately the last time he was on the ballot in 2015 he didn't fare well failing election by 1 vote.

Agreed Doc should be inducted into the HOF.

Hopefully this is the year

scotgreb 07-22-2021 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 470223

mouschi 07-22-2021 07:46 PM

Responding to read later...I love this stuff!

marzoumanian 07-22-2021 08:40 PM

I Knew There Would be Interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qz51nDOE28

Marjorie Adams was truly a character with a passion to get her great-grandpa recognized as a baseball founder. Check out this YouTube video from SABR. I hope it works right here. It was made just a few months ago. Yes, it is over an hour. But all you have to do is click on sections of it and you will be blown away by what Doc Adams did for the game.
I love documentaries and the thought crossed my mind that if Doc Adams gets into the HOF this coming December (and the chances are good), Marjorie's (successful) campaign for her great grandpa would make for a great one-hour doc on the MLB Network. Any doc makers out there?!?

todeen 07-22-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2125630)
Wow, the writer and editor of that story deserves to be in a Hall of Fame.

I knew I was in for a ride when the first sentence misspelled SHE as HE.

Ricky 07-22-2021 10:40 PM

That’s quite a story… Marjorie’s gender changed at least 15 times…

triwak 07-23-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Lifson (Post 2125552)
There is at least one period image of Doc Adams that has surfaced (but they are few and far between!) The discovery of the 1862 Knickerbockers Reunion Team Photo including Doc Adams was one of the most exciting and miraculous finds I ever had the privilege and good fortune to handle.

Here’s the Sports Collectors Daily story of this find from 2007 just days after:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...eball-history/

John Thorn suggested to me that he felt it likely this team photograph was taken in honor of Doc Adams’ departure from the club. Late in 1862 Adams announced plans to leave New York, move to Connecticut and get married (which is exactly what he did). John Thorn thought it likely that this assemblage of early original Knickerbockers was gathered to pay tribute to Adams. To me, Doc Adams is a Hall of Famer and has been one always. Someday I am sure Cooperstown will agree!

Thank you, Rob!! Great story, and fantastic piece!!

triwak 07-23-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotgreb (Post 2125647)

Cool!!

mrreality68 07-23-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marzoumanian (Post 2125703)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qz51nDOE28

Marjorie Adams was truly a character with a passion to get her great-grandpa recognized as a baseball founder. Check out this YouTube video from SABR. I hope it works right here. It was made just a few months ago. Yes, it is over an hour. But all you have to do is click on sections of it and you will be blown away by what Doc Adams did for the game.
I love documentaries and the thought crossed my mind that if Doc Adams gets into the HOF this coming December (and the chances are good), Marjorie's (successful) campaign for her great grandpa would make for a great one-hour doc on the MLB Network. Any doc makers out there?!?

Great video with a ton of history about the Doc and all he did.
Did get a little long towards the end a the short Corky was wearing is very unique

Thanks for sharing this video

Worth the watch if you are into the history of baseball