Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1957 Topps Brooks Robinson (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270646)

Mark70Z 06-27-2019 06:57 PM

1957 Topps Brooks Robinson

Thought I’d discuss in the autograph section concerning a player signed run. I’ve been working on a Brooks Robinson regular issued card run in pen and wondering where you guys locate the signed items in your collection. I’ve been trying to find a nice bold signed ‘57 rookie card for some time now and can’t seem to locate just the right card. I’ve seen a few nice examples in sharpie, but really wanted an ink vintage signature.

Any suggestions or recommendations for the search?

theshleps 06-27-2019 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 357929

Mark70Z 06-28-2019 02:50 AM

Brooks Robinson

Nice Brooksie! Thanks for the picture.

The other thing is I’d like the autograph to be a vintage signature. Not really from the ‘57 period, but not a modern one. Also, I personally doesn’t want any inscriptions, not that I don’t like them, but it will fit much better within my signed run. The card has to be decent as well, maybe Ex and above. Am I just too picky; I’m not sure...

swarmee 06-28-2019 05:26 AM

Yes, it sounds like you're too picky. HOF autograph rookie cards signed 50 years ago aren't readily available.

Yastrzemski Sports 06-28-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1893646)
Nice Brooksie! Thanks for the picture.

The other thing is I’d like the autograph to be a vintage signature. Not really from the ‘57 period, but not a modern one. Also, I personally doesn’t want any inscriptions, not that I don’t like them, but it will fit much better within my signed run. The card has to be decent as well, maybe Ex and above. Am I just too picky; I’m not sure...

You are definitely looking for a unicorn. For a long time it has been thought of as forbidden to have a card signed and that has only changed in the last 10 years. That’s why signed Puckett rookies are so rare. Good luck on the search. I’m sure it’s out there but may be very difficult to find.

Michael B 06-28-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1893674)
You are definitely looking for a unicorn. For a long time it has been thought of as forbidden to have a card signed and that has only changed in the last 10 years. That’s why signed Puckett rookies are so rare. Good luck on the search. I’m sure it’s out there but may be very difficult to find.

Not necessarily true. Almost all of the in person collectors in Boston during the 1980's, of which I was one, were getting cards signed. I mostly got index cards from 1983 forward though I did get about half of the 1983 Fleer set signed.

canjond 06-28-2019 08:59 AM

sounds like this is the one you were looking for:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=44865

Mark70Z 06-28-2019 12:36 PM

Brooksie Auto

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1893653)
Yes, it sounds like you're too picky. HOF autograph rookie cards signed 50 years ago aren't readily available.

I’m not necessarily looking for a Brooksie that was signed near when the card was produced. Really could be a pen signature from the 60’s probably even into the 80’s or even the 90’s; between those periods. Brooks basically shortcuts his autos now, and not that it’s a bad thing; I just like the full signature that he had in the past. Also, I’ve seen a few that were light so I try to avoid those as well.

I think you’re right though I am a bit picky...

Mark70Z 06-28-2019 12:59 PM

Brooks autograph

Quote:

Yes; I believe you’re right that I’m looking for something that there are a relative few.

I’ve been collecting Brooks for some time now and it’s only been a year or so that I started this run. I saw a few of those single player collector signed runs and thought it would be a fun side project and it has been. The problem was I was a bit hasty when I first started and picked up a few that I’d like to upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark70Z 06-28-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 1893696)
sounds like this is the one you were looking for:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=44865

Yes; you are correct. Really like the signed rookie that was in this auction. Exactly the type I’m looking for. I saw this at the time, but wasn’t really looking for his autographed cards.

Mark70Z 07-04-2019 05:33 AM

Brooks signed rookie

I appreciate the feedback and the PM messages concerning the Brooks signed rookie card. Thanks so much for the input.

My searches are really on eBay and some of the auction houses, but I’m sure I don’t view anywhere near all the auctions that are out there. If you happen to see a nice pen example I’d love the heads up.

Also, thought I’d ask another question concerning signed cards. I always liked the ball point pen signature on a baseball card, but what do you autograph seekers think of sharpie on a card? I thought about or at least considered doing a regular issue card run of Brooks after I completed the pen signed run, but at least a couple people said I should leave it alone. What do you think?

Yastrzemski Sports 07-04-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1895424)
I appreciate the feedback and the PM messages concerning the Brooks signed rookie card. Thanks so much for the input.

My searches are really on eBay and some of the auction houses, but I’m sure I don’t view anywhere near all the auctions that are out there. If you happen to see a nice pen example I’d love the heads up.

Also, thought I’d ask another question concerning signed cards. I always liked the ball point pen signature on a baseball card, but what do you autograph seekers think of sharpie on a card? I thought about or at least considered doing a regular issue card run of Brooks after I completed the pen signed run, but at least a couple people said I should leave it alone. What do you think?

Myself, I prefer the sharpie. It’s darker, more visisble and potentially more valuable because the autograph usually grades higher.

But what I, or anyone else thinks doesn’t matter. It’s your collection and I encourage you to collect what you like. Enjoy the hunt.

Mark70Z 07-06-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1895686)
Myself, I prefer the sharpie. It’s darker, more visisble and potentially more valuable because the autograph usually grades higher.

But what I, or anyone else thinks doesn’t matter. It’s your collection and I encourage you to collect what you like. Enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for your opinion Adam. I guess we’ll see once I’ve completed the signed in pen run, if I ever do, and see if I’m interested in moving into the sharpie run. I’m still up in the air about it currently. I’ve seen some players autos where the sharpie really looks good; for example some of the Al Kaline autos.

One more thing...do you prefer black or blue sharpie?

Yastrzemski Sports 07-06-2019 05:27 PM

Blue

Gary Dunaier 07-06-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

For a long time it has been thought of as forbidden to have a card signed and that has only changed in the last 10 years.

I've never heard of such a thing.

bigfanNY 07-07-2019 04:10 AM

Back in the Day the theory was you should not get an autograph on a card that is worth more than the auto. It has been a little longer than 10 years. I think it started changing after Mantle passed.
That is why so few DiMaggio signed cards and why 51 and 52 Mantles sell for so much. The cards were worth more than the auto's Even at the 500 Home run show very few cards were signed and that was 89 If I remember correctly. And if you had a rookie card signed by all 11 that day you would have done very well much more than the value of a ball or litho.

Yastrzemski Sports 07-07-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1896395)
I've never heard of such a thing.

There are 8 Kirby Puckett Autographed 1984 Fleer Update cards graded by PSA/DNA. There are no 1985 Topps Tiffany and none may exist.

Those Puckett cards were so expensive that not many people would “ruin” the card by having it signed. Puckett died in 2006.

khw 07-07-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1896495)
There are 8 Kirby Puckett Autographed 1984 Fleer Update cards graded by PSA/DNA. There are no 1985 Topps Tiffany and none may exist.

Those Puckett cards were so expensive that not many people would “ruin” the card by having it signed. Puckett died in 2006.

hold tight......i am putting in orders with jose in california . will be on ebay next week

Mark70Z 07-08-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1896474)
Back in the Day the theory was you should not get an autograph on a card that is worth more than the auto. It has been a little longer than 10 years. I think it started changing after Mantle passed.
That is why so few DiMaggio signed cards and why 51 and 52 Mantles sell for so much. The cards were worth more than the auto's Even at the 500 Home run show very few cards were signed and that was 89 If I remember correctly. And if you had a rookie card signed by all 11 that day you would have done very well much more than the value of a ball or litho.

At least in my view back in the day there was a lot of options for things to get signed like photos, posters, balls, bats, etc. I think more people used cards when going TTM. I know there are a lot of options today as well, but back then I didn’t see to many people in an autograph line with cards. I, for one, wasn’t really interested in getting signed cards and was more in the boat that it ruined the card. Times have changed and my mind has changed as well. Now I like them both signed and unsigned.

By the way Jonathan how’s my favorite Louisville Slugger bat advertising poster doing?

dwr11 07-11-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Wow - I didn't realize there were 8 1984 Fleer Update Signed Puckett cards. This one has been on my want list for awhile. I have only seen 3 of the 8.

Mark70Z 07-12-2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Adam,

Aren’t there quite a few of his other rookie cards signed though? Also, that’s just the cards “graded” by PSA; what about the other companies like Beckett, SGC, etc.?

bigfanNY 07-12-2019 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the point about Puckett rookies was that cards like 85 topps were signed but that expensive cards like 84 Fleer update and 85 Tiffany which were expensive were very rarely signed.

PS Yes Mark yours and my favorite LS poster is still happy on my wall. For scale the two pictures on either side are in 24 inch frames. The poster is about 4 feet tall.

Mark70Z 07-14-2019 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1898400)
I think the point about Puckett rookies was that cards like 85 topps were signed but that expensive cards like 84 Fleer update and 85 Tiffany which were expensive were very rarely signed.

PS Yes Mark yours and my favorite LS poster is still happy on my wall. For scale the two pictures on either side are in 24 inch frames. The poster is about 4 feet tall.

Think I got it on the Puckett autos. People back in the day didn’t mind getting the cards that there was a ton of signed, but didn’t want to “ruin” the expensive ones.

Man, I don’t think there’s a better advertising poster out there better than that one; it has it all (size, color and contrast, format, and then add the players of the day); just so cool.