Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gavelsnipe failed me. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273592)

Stampsfan 06-29-2020 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what is happening to me, and it's been pretty consistent lately.

Anyone have any thoughts? The "Captcha" thing is it.

Thanks in advance...

Attachment 407392

slidekellyslide 06-29-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1994878)
Here is what is happening to me, and it's been pretty consistent lately.

Anyone have any thoughts? The "Captcha" thing is it.

Thanks in advance...

Attachment 407392

Bob, have you changed your ebay password within the last 4 or 5 months? I've heard that if you have changed it that gavelsnipe may not work ever again.

teza11 06-29-2020 09:12 PM

Dan is spot on. I moved to Gixen. No issues.

Jeff

swarmee 06-30-2020 05:21 AM

It has been said that eBay sends Captchas to accounts with weaker passwords since they're most likely to be taken over by bots (computer software) to commandeer auction bids. So you may want to upgrade your eBay account password to something with 16 characters including capital letters, numbers, and special characters. Then update it in your sniping program.

There is a new fraudulent bidding system being employed now to counteract true bidding on eBay, that guys on Blowout have been mentioning has been happening in cards more lately.

Say there's an item worth $400 and the bid is currently at $100. A guy that wants it under value will have one account bid $1000, which will set the new viewable max bid at $105. A secondary account will bid $1010 and then the max bid will show as $1010. Then seconds before the auction ends, the last bid will be rescinded and the first account will win at $105. This is probably subverting the bids of sniping tools because they're watching to see if your listed $400 bid will currently win, which it will not because the bid's at $1010.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1389651

slidekellyslide 06-30-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1994980)
It has been said that eBay sends Captchas to accounts with weaker passwords since they're most likely to be taken over by bots (computer software) to commandeer auction bids. So you may want to upgrade your eBay account password to something with 16 characters including capital letters, numbers, and special characters. Then update it in your sniping program.

There is a new fraudulent bidding system being employed now to counteract true bidding on eBay, that guys on Blowout have been mentioning has been happening in cards more lately.

Say there's an item worth $400 and the bid is currently at $100. A guy that wants it under value will have one account bid $1000, which will set the new viewable max bid at $105. A secondary account will bid $1010 and then the max bid will show as $1010. Then seconds before the auction ends, the last bid will be rescinded and the first account will win at $105. This is probably subverting the bids of sniping tools because they're watching to see if your listed $400 bid will currently win, which it will not because the bid's at $1010.

You can not rescind your bid on ebay with less than 12 hours to go unless you placed it within one hour of rescinding. Does blowout have any links to auctions in which this has happened?

swarmee 06-30-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1995173)
You can not rescind your bid on ebay with less than 12 hours to go unless you placed it within one hour of rescinding. Does blowout have any links to auctions in which this has happened?

Yep, I've seen a few. Linked from this most recent thread about "bid shielding" tactics.

Oh, I see I already posted that thread. Did you read it?

slidekellyslide 07-01-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1995179)
Yep, I've seen a few. Linked from this most recent thread about "bid shielding" tactics.

Oh, I see I already posted that thread. Did you read it?

Sorry, didn't see the link. Wow...the criminal mind knows no bounds. Ebay could remedy this by not allowing any retractions in the final 24 hours and/or extend bidding by 5 minutes on any lot that gets a bid in the final minute or so.

Stampsfan 07-02-2020 01:23 AM

As usual, thanks to all for their input. Robert and Dan's suggestion of Gixen worked extremely well. I signed up for it, and went the paid subscription route for all of six bucks.

Last night I used it for the first time, and won 34 auctions in a set I am building. Worked flawlessly, and I am very pleased.

Thanks again...

sb1 07-29-2020 07:00 AM

Gavelsnipe failed on my last three ebay snipes, yesterday and the day before. After many years I have now switched to Gixen as others suggested. Hopefully their success percentage will be much better.

As an afterthought. If a bidder placed a snipe with both gavelsnipe and gixen as an insurance bid, I assume that you would not be bidding against yourself as they are both under the same Ebay user ID. I have often bid manually with a Gavelsnipe bid in place on an item and only got it for the highest amount needed to win, even though the Gavelsnipe max and the manually entered max bid were both higher than the winning bid.....

bobbyw8469 07-29-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1 (Post 2003839)
Gavelsnipe failed on my last three ebay snipes, yesterday and the day before. After many years I have now switched to Gixen as others suggested. Hopefully their success percentage will be much better.

As an afterthought. If a bidder placed a snipe with both gavelsnipe and gixen as an insurance bid, I assume that you would not be bidding against yourself as they are both under the same Ebay user ID. I have often bid manually with a Gavelsnipe bid in place on an item and only got it for the highest amount needed to win, even though the Gavelsnipe max and the manually entered max bid were both higher than the winning bid.....

Correct....you can't bid against yourself. So while your bids will appear "stacked" the money should look identical to one another.

Robextend 07-29-2020 07:11 AM

+1 for Gixen - switched over a month ago and haven't had one issue.

toppcat 07-29-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Beware the Gixen phone app-it is quite wonky on the Android platform for me. Works fine on my PC but the app has been a nightmare.

sb1 07-29-2020 08:03 AM

Won't be a problem....I use my phone to make calls and receive calls, nothing else....can't imagine operating daily on it, versus my laptop :)

slidekellyslide 07-29-2020 09:21 AM

Yep, failed me last night. It may have something to do with ebay's forced changeover to managed payments that happened just a few days ago. Ebay ended over 500 of my listings. Coins, Tokens, Postcards... They are the worst run publicly traded company on the internet.

Tao_Moko 07-29-2020 10:40 AM

My wife says gavelsnipe is where old white guys steal toys from kids LOL. This all because her and my son lost a bid on some Ghostbusters toys. They watched with excitement and celebrated their win when they were the high bidder until the screen refreshed.

spec 07-29-2020 12:29 PM

3 strikes and out!

Quote:

+1 Like you, I had 3 Gavelsnipe failures over the weekend after nearly a year since that last Capcha episode. I still don't comprehend why eBay discourages bidding this way. On one of Gavelsnipe's misfires, eBay's action cost the seller at least $50.

UKCardGuy 07-29-2020 03:34 PM

+1 for Gixen.

I've been using it for a while now and it works great. They have an android app too that makes it really easy to setup a bid for items in my watched list.

Bored5000 08-02-2020 06:02 PM

I had two Gavelsnipe failures tonight. Both items were under $50, so it's not a huge deal. But my bids were higher than the winner on each item.

I guess I have to make the switch to Gixen.

kgibson 08-02-2020 06:08 PM

I’ve been pleased with bidnapper.

MikeGarcia 08-02-2020 09:27 PM

Twelve Years Plus

.. I've used " EZSniper" since Hector was a pup ; it's click-simple and they snipe at just the last split second and they have saved me literally truly thousands of dollars because back in the bidding by clicking days I had the impulse control of a mobile home kitchen grease fire ...

slidekellyslide 08-03-2020 12:29 AM

I switched to Gixen this past week and successfully sniped 2 auctions.

D. Bergin 09-19-2020 08:42 AM

Gavelsnipe doesn't seem to be working for me at all anymore. Had about 3 snipes in a row that got rejected for "Bid blocked by Ebay CAPTCHA", and the last couple didn't even register in the history. Just disappeared as if they never even existed.

Guess I'll have to check out one of the other recommended tools.

pokerplyr80 09-19-2020 08:59 AM

I missed a few auctions this week because I was working late, and a couple because I set my phone down and forgot to check. I really should look into one of these services.

Bored5000 09-19-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2018931)
Gavelsnipe doesn't seem to be working for me at all anymore. Had about 3 snipes in a row that got rejected for "Bid blocked by Ebay CAPTCHA", and the last couple didn't even register in the history. Just disappeared as if they never even existed.

Guess I'll have to check out one of the other recommended tools.

I gave up on Gavelsnipe and went with Gixen about a month ago. I now wish I had done it sooner.

slidekellyslide 09-19-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 2018995)
I gave up on Gavelsnipe and went with Gixen about a month ago. I now wish I had done it sooner.

Same. Gixen is 100% for me, but I have heard that the phone app is hit or miss so if you do use Gixen I'd suggest using the website on a computer.

Clemaz 10-05-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1991313)
Was just thinking the same thing . . .

If I know I will bid up to say $1500 for something on eBay and not a penny more, why not just wait until their is 10 seconds left and enter my max bid? Never got the sniping thing. if others are willing to pay more I wont get it.

Sometimes the auction ends well past when I go to bed and it would be nice to have the snipe option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GasHouseGang 10-05-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 2019112)
Same. Gixen is 100% for me, but I have heard that the phone app is hit or miss so if you do use Gixen I'd suggest using the website on a computer.

So did I. Last two Gavelsnipes failed so I signed up with Gixen. At least Gavelsnipe was nice enough to tell me my bids were blocked by Ebay.

slidekellyslide 10-05-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemaz (Post 2023341)
Sometimes the auction ends well past when I go to bed and it would be nice to have the snipe option.

Sign up for Gixen, they do not have the Capcha problems that Gavelsnipe does. Gavelsnipe is useless now...I'm not even sure they ever really even tried to fix the problem.

D. Bergin 10-05-2020 11:50 PM

I did sign up for Gixen a couple weeks ago. So far so good.

kkkkandp 10-06-2020 06:21 AM

I just had a Gavelsnipe fail last week. The Gavelsnipe site said that I was outbid, but the price on Gavelsnipe was way below my snipe. When I checked on ebay, there had been no bids at all on my item.

It was not a high-dollar purchase ($25) and the seller nicely relisted it at a buy-it-now price for me, but this was my second Gavelsnipe failure in a couple of months, so I just signed up for Gixen.

Clemaz 10-06-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 2023389)
Sign up for Gixen, they do not have the Capcha problems that Gavelsnipe does. Gavelsnipe is useless now...I'm not even sure they ever really even tried to fix the problem.

I used Gixen for the first time last night. Worked great.