Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1950s Non-HOFers Worth Collecting (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299548)

Cmvorce 03-30-2021 03:23 PM

1950s Non-HOFers Worth Collecting

I started a pre-war thread on this a little while back and learned so much about great players I was previously unfamiliar with. Figured I’d try it with the 50s. Who are some of the non Hall of Famers from the 50s who are worth collecting. The Bo Jackson’s and Don Mattingly’s of the decade. Here is my current list. Who is missing?

Ferris Fain
Roy Sievers
Don Newcombe
Johnny Antonelli
Gil Hodges
Sherm Lollar
Hank Bauer
Al Rosen
Bobby Shantz
Ray Boone
Sal Maglie
Billy Pierce
Jackie Jensen
Smoky Burgess
Joe Adcock
Bob Elliott
Johnny Pesky
Ted Kluszeski
Hank Sauer
Dizzy Trout
Joe Page
Johnny Sain
Ed Lopat
Preacher Roe
Allie Reynolds
Vern Law
Vern Stephens
Mickey Vernon
Jim Konstanty
Wally Post
Del Crandall
Billy Martin
Bill Nicholson
Dom Dimaggio
Minnie Minoso
Ralph Houck
Del Ennis
Virgil Trucks
Ralph Branca
Walker Cooper
Phil Cavarretta
Bobby Thomson
Ewell Blackwell
Dick Groat
Gil McDougald
Bob Cerv
Don Larsen
Harvey Kuenn
Bob Turley
Bill Skowron
Elston Howard
Camilo Pascual
Ken Boyer
Herb Score
Rocky Colavito
Bobby Richardson
Tony Kubek
Mike McCormick
Roger Maris
Vada Pinson
Curt Flood
Felipe Alou
Bobby Allison
Johnny Callison
Dick Stuart
Bill White
Norm Cash
Mike Cuellar

Chris Counts 03-30-2021 03:55 PM

After a quick glance, I don't see Gus Bell, Luke Easter, Bob Friend and Carl Furillo. I'm sure there are others that were as good as some on the list like Richardson, Kubek and Bauer.

Harliduck 03-30-2021 04:00 PM

That's a heck of a list. I can tell you some players I sought out that weren't on your list -

Joe Black - another early pioneer hero who helped Jackie with pension plans for negro league players

Dale Long - held the HR per consecutive game record until Mattingly tied it, and Griffey broke it

Joe Nuxhall - love looking at his stats...1944...then bam, the 50s...he was brought up to the bigs for a game at 15! Cool story...

Harvey Haddix - pitched 12 perfect innings...only to lose in the 13th!

Vic Wertz - his name is tied to several all time memorable catches (as in, he hit the ball!), including Mays big catch at the Polo Grounds!

I have several other names of 50s players that take on new meaning when you see their cards after reading some of the heros of the era's autobiographies. Hank Aarons, Ernie Banks, Mickey Mantle...all had several friend and influences during their time in the 50s and love reading about them...

Great topic...

Harliduck 03-30-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2087532)
After a quick glance, I don't see Gus Bell, Luke Easter, Bob Friend and Carl Furillo. I'm sure there are others that were as good as some on the list like Richardson, Kubek and Bauer.

Bob Friend...I grew up with my Dad telling me Bob and Herb Score were HUGE when he was a kid..."if it wasn't for that line drive..."

packs 03-30-2021 04:22 PM

I always liked Johnny Podres. His 53 Topps card is a beauty and if you're a Brooklyn Dodgers fan he was the MVP in 55.

71buc 03-30-2021 06:20 PM

I’m partial to Vic Power

Volod 03-30-2021 10:16 PM

Fun thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harliduck (Post 2087537)
Bob Friend...I grew up with my Dad telling me Bob and Herb Score were HUGE when he was a kid..."if it wasn't for that line drive..."

Gil McDougald and Herbie would likely both be in the HOF, if not for that line drive. Gil was so shaken by it, he told the press that night that he would retire from baseball if Score did not recover. In 1960, after just nine years in the bigs, he did just that, as Herb was still struggling to get back to his earlier form.

Don't see Lou Burdette on the list. Just one of his high lights was being the winning pitcher in that 12-inning perfecto by Haddix. Also: Two-time All-Star (1957, 1959)
Third in Cy Young Award voting (1958)
Led league in wins (1959)
Led league in games started (1959)
Led league in complete games (1960)
Twice led league in shutouts (1956, 1959)
5 times in top 4 in wins (1956–58, 1960–61)
World Series MVP (1957)(Three complete game wins over Yankees [Is that why he's not in the HOF?]:rolleyes:)

skelly423 03-31-2021 04:27 AM

Let me throw in nods for Hank Thompson and Sam Jethroe. Both were former Negro leaguers. Thompson broke the color barrier on two teams. Jethroe broke into the bigs at 33, won the 1950 ROY, and led the majors in steals his first two seasons, and retired after his 3rd season. Definitely underappreciated.

riggs336 03-31-2021 12:55 PM

Dan Bankhead. First Black pitcher in 1947. Cards in 1951 Bowman and 1952 Parkhurst.

G1911 03-31-2021 05:16 PM

I'd add Eddie Yost, an excellent player and one who has one of the more interesting statistical records, with his ridiculous for the time walk rate for a guy who wasn't much of a threat at the plate. Interesting player.

Ferris Fain, already on the list here, is my favorite player of the 50's. My grandpa was a fan of his during Fain's time with the San Francisco Seals and thought he was a true great. He's not, but he did win back to back batting titles in the majors and was a fine player that I always try to pick up cards of.

Cmvorce 04-01-2021 04:07 PM

Thanks, all, for the new names to research. I’m sure I’ll be expanding my want list thanks to you all.

Cmvorce 04-01-2021 04:09 PM

And G1911, I’ve been a longtime fan of Ferris Fain as well. The batting title in 51 referenced on the back of his 52 Topps got me.

toppcat 04-01-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2087532)

If you like oddball sets, Furillo's a good choice, he's in a bunch. I'm sure they all are but he's got some good ones.

carlsonjok 04-03-2021 08:39 AM

I actually have a Johnny Antonelli player collection. And because every thread needs cards, here are a few of my favorites: A NY Journal-American (I actually have 4 of them),a 2010 National Ethnic Heritage Foundation Sons of Italy, and a Banty Red art card.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ofwAOkXu1...600/NYJ_JA.jpghttps://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Cvj6s1VKR...010NEHF_JA.jpghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2z11zv9Zj...1600/BR_JA.jpg

Kevin 04-03-2021 08:54 AM

1953 Bowman - Carl Furillo

One of my favorite cards...

Chicosbailbonds 04-04-2021 04:09 PM

Card number 1 in the 1952 set - Andy Pafko. He had a very good career also.

almostdone 04-06-2021 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carl Erskine in my book unless I overlooked him on the original list.
Set a World Series strikeout record against the Yankees (since broken).
He signed this photo for me and listed every strikeout victim. Note: Mantle name appears 4 times
Drew

Nippy7 04-14-2021 01:13 PM

Red Schoendienst, a true journeyman
Stu Miller (Butterfly Man) that got blown off the mound by Candlestick winds.

Frankish 04-14-2021 01:23 PM

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Minnie Minoso gets my vote for top place. There are some great (and affordable!) cards, given his long career. Sam Jethroe, Joe Black, and Hank Thompson are also deserving, though their shorter MLB careers may factor in.

Dom Dimaggio was a pretty great player, too. Being Joe's little brother definitely hurt him in how he is ultimately remembered...or forgotten, as the case may be.

scmavl 04-14-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankish (Post 2092903)
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Minnie Minoso gets my vote for top place. There are some great (and affordable!) cards, given his long career. Sam Jethroe, Joe Black, and Hank Thompson are also deserving, though their shorter MLB careers may factor in.

I absolutely agree with these names. I picked up RCs of most of these recently, which can be had for next to nothing (comparably). I'd also add Luke Easter and Don Newcombe. Plus, Sam Jethroe's second year card ('51 Bowman) might just be one of the best looking baseball cards of all time.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ea8e669f5.jpg

Frankish 04-14-2021 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Total bargains (although only time will tell if they make good investments). I love that 51B card, as well.

Here's a 1948 photo of Jethroe, for whatever it's worth....