Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vibe at the National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271281)

Snapolit1 07-14-2019 02:59 PM

Vibe at the National

Wonder how all the shenanigans of late will affect the mood at this year's National. I've been to three and had a great time each time. Exciting to be around all that stuff with people who are in the same hobby and occasionally to put a name on a face. But the nicer stuff is usually absurdly overpriced. Will people be more or less inclined to take a flyer on an expensive purchase? On one had at least you can look at it in person before buying. But honestly the swirl of activity at the show makes it hard for me to concentrate on anything. Almost dizzying in intensity. Everywhere you look there are exciting things to see. I'm guessing that the market for higher end stuff will drop off this year. Sort of a dark cloud hanging over everything nice. The mere fact that a prewar card presents well is immediately suspect. And that's depressing.

Jewish-collector 07-14-2019 03:06 PM

The National is more about meeting up with fellow collectors and dealers, enjoying dinners after the show, having a few cold ones, etc,... and less about acquiring vintage cards.

perezfan 07-14-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1898920)
The National is more about meeting up with fellow collectors and dealers, enjoying dinners after the show, having a few cold ones, etc,... and less about acquiring vintage cards.

Completely agree...

But I do think it will be a vibrant show this year. Chicago is the only really good venue they have, and seems like this year's show is garnering lots of attention and buzz. I believe there will plenty of interesting activity and subsequent water-cooler talk, both good and bad.

Johnny630 07-14-2019 03:18 PM

Swarmed with UC’s and cameras

Leon 07-14-2019 03:19 PM

Is that regular or Diet Dr.Pepper? :)
It is almost all about seeing everyone, for me. The last several years have been sparse on my buys. I purchased a few small things just because I felt like I needed to. :eek: It's been awhile since i purchased anything much. That said, a National is the place I found my Horner AL League photo. So good things can happen. But a lot of it, for me, is meeting up with old hobby friends I rarely, if ever, see otherwise.
But to the original question, I think it won't be a lot different than the last several nationals. There will be closer attention paid to cards in TPG holders, especially high grade ones, I would imagine. But otherwise not much different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1898920)

Gradedcardman 07-14-2019 03:35 PM

National

The National is great. The vibe will be good and the purchases will still be made. If you look at this forum there may be 30-40 guys really backing off of buying. It is still buyer beware and buy the card not the grade.

barrysloate 07-14-2019 03:45 PM

Most people attending the National will not even know about the scandal or of the discussion on Net54, so it will be interesting to see how this information will be circulated. Also, some of the people who are told about this, who have a very large investment in graded cards, will have no interest in hearing it and will continue to spend money as they always have.

It's going to be a mixed bag regarding how everyone takes this in. Expect a wide array of opinions. Chances are many more people wil be buying, and not boycotting.

oldjudge 07-14-2019 04:28 PM

For non-registry types it will have zero impact.

Brian Van Horn 07-14-2019 04:46 PM

Wont worry about the mood at the National. I'm not going.

Jewish-collector 07-14-2019 04:52 PM

Forgot to add that Leon (Hi Leon !!!) is one of the guys that actually says hello to me, even though I'm a low end collector. :D

Exhibitman 07-14-2019 08:52 PM

Well last year I made a high grade postwar PSA slabbed purchase on an impulse. Probably won't do that again, though I am still 100% satisfied with the card

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...er%20Aaron.jpg

I think raw cards and cards that are hard to mess with for technical reasons will do well this year. I know I am bringing way fewer slabbed cards than I have in the past, though part of that is changes in my inventory.

bounce 07-14-2019 10:29 PM

well, unless you don't like it, i'm planning to post a daily update again this year.

i'm interested to see how much impact this all has, and i'm definitely expecting some "distractions" to be happening around certain booths for a good part of the week.

we shall see.

ullmandds 07-15-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce (Post 1899048)
well, unless you don't like it, i'm planning to post a daily update again this year.

i'm interested to see how much impact this all has, and i'm definitely expecting some "distractions" to be happening around certain booths for a good part of the week.

we shall see.

I also will not be attending this year...but I agree there will be impact that will be seen and heard.

Donscards 07-15-2019 06:48 AM

It should be interesting on the impact on what has happened with the doctored cards at the National---I set up with mostly all graded cards, I very seldom buy off ebay and never from PWCC etc. I buy from Collectors, Dealers and large collections. Many of my slabbed cards are also old holders. Checking over my cards, I seem to be ok---havent seen any of the outed cards---There have been a few larger shows the last month and all seems to be ok with sales of graded cards. Anyway, I will find out in a few weeks. I think there will be a slight impact on sales. My anticipation is I may be off by 10% in sales due to this debacle.

Rich Klein 07-15-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1898959)
Forgot to add that Leon (Hi Leon !!!) is one of the guys that actually says hello to me, even though I'm a low end collector. :D

I'm one of the others :p

Snapolit1 07-15-2019 07:43 AM

Interesting that the folks who actually sell cards think there will be a some impact, while others think only 30 people in the world (all on this board) give a hoot about what's going on.

1952boyntoncollector 07-15-2019 09:34 AM

There may be a lawyer booth there....

Den*nis O*Brien 07-15-2019 12:17 PM

A Laugh.....sort of

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1899111)
There may be a lawyer booth there....

I have been following the unfolding horror show closely. This is my first comment but this post got me to smirk, chortle and find a little levity in all of the building sadness and anger.

Johnny630 07-15-2019 04:30 PM

Most don’t care they will be spending their money like a rich teenage girl with her millionaire Daddy’s Credit Card....
PSA the Major Auction Houses, and Dealers Know This....Collectors and Registry Guys Are Addicted.....they Don’t want their investments or business to be destroyed.
The Lines at PSA will be longer then Ever....I expect to see Zero Impact On Sales...

parkplace33 07-16-2019 06:33 AM

The lines will be out the door for PSA! But will they address the scandal?

Johnny630 07-16-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 1899345)
The lines will be out the door for PSA! But will they address the scandal?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! WHAT SCANDAL ?? EVERYTHING IS GREAT WOULD YOU LIKE A REGISTRY MEDAL hahahah what a joke.

PSA is smart.... they know to to keep hush... they have the registry sheeple all is well....To many people are making money hand over fist.... the dealers, the consignment guys on ebay, investors and collectors alike....they don't want this gravy train to stop... you will hear nothing but good things from PSA.....the Industry is Stronger then Ever and Will only Get Stronger the Masses Don't Care

jhagy 07-16-2019 03:02 PM

Looking at going to first National show

So maybe I should have started a new thread but interested in advice for going to my first National show. Live close enough to drive and have been saying for the past few years that I was going to go. Not to purchase a ton, just for the experience and see more than what's on eBay and the auction sites, lol. Interested in what more seasoned veterans have to say. Thanks!

perezfan 07-16-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhagy (Post 1899481)
So maybe I should have started a new thread but interested in advice for going to my first National show. Live close enough to drive and have been saying for the past few years that I was going to go. Not to purchase a ton, just for the experience and see more than what's on eBay and the auction sites, lol. Interested in what more seasoned veterans have to say. Thanks!

They’ll tell you to wear comfortable shoes and bring a roller-bag or backpack. But best advice is to bring more cash than you think you’ll need. You will inevitably see some cool things you want, and cash is the preferred payment method. Better to have more than you need, as opposed to less.

You don’t have to spend it all, but it’s good to have that option. I missed out on something really cool at my first National, simply because I didn’t have enough cash. And still kicking myself 20 years later!

jhagy 07-17-2019 07:40 AM

Thanks! Really didn't even think about bringing cash. Great to know!