Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Two Words...AGAIN!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345359)

clydepepper 01-22-2024 09:46 AM

Two Words...AGAIN!!

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 606566

D. Bergin 01-22-2024 09:59 AM

Not a Pats fan, but that's why kickers like Adam Vinatieri (though he actually missed more then people remember) and Stephen Gostkowski are so valuable.

Kicking in the playoffs and Super Bowl is a whole different ball game in terms of pressure. Some of the best kickers in the league have fallen apart once the post-season hits. Some guys will get the yips in the playoffs, and are never the same for the rest of their career....for however long it might last after that.

Packers kicker basically did the same thing in a similar situation as the Bills kicker.

bk400 01-22-2024 10:29 AM

Totally agree. I am shocked that there aren't more kickers in the Hall of Fame. The successful ones are mentally the strongest players on any given team.

Kzoo 01-22-2024 12:23 PM

It seemed to start off ok, but that kick had a 'late breaking' slice to it. I noticed the little 'streamers' on top of the goal posts were only indicating a slight breeze.

D. Bergin 01-22-2024 02:41 PM

It's actually amazing how good these kickers are nowadays.

Mark Moseley, who inexplicably won an NFL MVP Award in the 80's, and was considered an elite kicker of his era, had a lifetime FG% that would get him laughed off the worst team in the leagues practice squad. Hell, he was barely 50% in the Playoffs.

His longest FG his MVP year was 48 yards.

I understand field conditions and all that are also different, but kickers are expected to have perfected their craft from early childhood now...just like QB's, RB's, WR's and MLB pitchers.

Beercan collector 01-22-2024 03:23 PM

after the game I sent my brother a message
“ we got Butker they got someone else “
He’s been the difference in several wins this year

Eric72 01-22-2024 03:56 PM

So, the Chiefs are in the AFC Conference Championship again?

yay

Michael B 01-22-2024 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2406935)
Not a Pats fan, but that's why kickers like Adam Vinatieri (though he actually missed more then people remember) and Stephen Gostkowski are so valuable.

Kicking in the playoffs and Super Bowl is a whole different ball game in terms of pressure. Some of the best kickers in the league have fallen apart once the post-season hits. Some guys will get the yips in the playoffs, and are never the same for the rest of their career....for however long it might last after that.

Packers kicker basically did the same thing in a similar situation as the Bills kicker.

The joke is that Gino Cappelletti is not in the HOF. All time AFL scorer, 5 times AFL scoring leader, AFL MVP. He also had two of the top 5 scoring seasons in NFL/AFL history. If they count Joe Namath's AFL stats they should for Gino. Originally a quarterback in college, he was a kicker and receiver for the Pats. 42 receiving TD's, 176 FG's (52.9%) and 342 PAT's (96.9%)

mortimer brewster 01-23-2024 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2407038)
It's actually amazing how good these kickers are nowadays.

I understand field conditions and all that are also different, but kickers are expected to have perfected their craft from early childhood now...just like QB's, RB's, WR's and MLB pitchers.

Agreed. Players are bred to play at an early age today. In Mosely's era and earlier Football was a part time profession. Players had to work jobs in the off-season to prepare for life after football. There were no kicking schools or passing academies back in the day etc. Heck a player today could set his grand children and great grand children up for life just by being a long snapper.

mortimer brewster 01-23-2024 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2406929)

The miss prevented Mahomes and Kelce from grabbing the headlines with a last minute drive to win the game. Against the Bills depleted defense that is what would have happened.