Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   April Auction madness :) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149194)

Leon 03-24-2012 08:04 AM

April Auction madness :)

I was just going through the online preview of the Heritage auction. Wowsers!! "Highest graded" of so many cards it's unbelievable. I know other major auctions are coming too, REA, Goodwin, H and S, Lelands etc...etc... I always wonder where all of the money will come from, not just from me but from all of us, to buy all of this high end stuff? Being a card junkie just doesn't pay off sometimes. I noticed a few gems, especially one, I really want. There is no doubt there will be more things I want than I can reasonably afford. Just a rant on a Saturday morning but I bet a lot of other board members have some of the same thoughts? So many great items and so little cash to go for them :).

Vegas-guy 03-24-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 978050)
So many great items and so little cash to go for them :).

I was thinking this same thing the other day and I was only looking at all T206s on Goodwin!

ullmandds 03-24-2012 08:25 AM

color me a moron...but how does one view this heritage preview...I find their site very confusing?!?!

bijoem 03-24-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 978050)
I always wonder where all of the money will come from, not just from me but from all of us, to buy all of this high end stuff?

If you build it - they will come.

Maybe it is the REA 'event' factor.... or just the start of the baseball season where every fans optimism is at a peak..... or both.....
but - I think April is the very best time for a baseball card auction.

I'm not sure where the money will come from - but my guess is this month, more than any other month in the year - - the money will show itself.

Leon 03-24-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 978054)
color me a moron...but how does one view this heritage preview...I find their site very confusing?!?!

http://sports.ha.com/common/search_r...3&chkNotSold=0

barrysloate 03-24-2012 08:40 AM

Sure does seem like a lot of people are selling and getting out of the hobby. Of course there will be someone to take their place. I think the first big generation of collectors are older now and the hobby is going through its natural evolution.

ullmandds 03-24-2012 08:46 AM

thanks Leon! Barry...time will tell!

Kzoo 03-24-2012 09:31 AM

confusion...

Quote:

...I find their site very confusing?!?!

I'm with you Peter!! I know this has been brought up before, but every time I get the ambition to check out a Heritage auction online, I get very discouraged, frustrated, and usually leave their site with a headache because it is so difficult to navigate. I'm computer literate, but why don't they have a more simple site like EVERY other major auction company? Have they not heard of the 'K.I.S.S.' design principle? (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I've been registered with them for a couple years and they usually have some quality material in previews, but I've never bid before as I usually lose interest while trying to search an auction online. Maybe it's easier with a catalog in hand? That might be the ticket, but I'm not going to fork over $50 when all other major auctions send one for free. Just my opinion and thoughts.

Matt Pienta

Runscott 03-24-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 978057)
Sure does seem like a lot of people are selling and getting out of the hobby. Of course there will be someone to take their place. I think the first big generation of collectors are older now and the hobby is going through its natural evolution.

A 2009 quote from Frank W (who doesn't know the difference between a meteor and an asteroid :)):

"When the meteors kill the dinosaurs off of this board, that will be a day the board moves into a new epoch... a time when the collective knowledge has been significantly diminished. A bit more civility and deference would postpone that day.

Maybe instead we'd be better off with an additional alternative site, 'net54 Classic', with old dinosaur opinions and wisdom, no slab or registry stuff..."

Tomman1961 03-24-2012 01:00 PM

Barry-interesting post. I put up a post a few months ago regarding - is it possible all cards will eventually be bought up, and never sold? Someone posted that it is a natural progression to get out of the hobby, or inherit cards and sell them, or see the great monies cards are getting and sell off.

tbob 03-24-2012 03:27 PM

It is amazing how often old collectors have chidren or grandchildren who have absolutely no interest in the cards of their dad/grandpa. I agree with Barry, a lot of these cards are going to make their way to auction houses or ebay. That's life, what is sad, though, is that I see children and grandchildren of former players having fire sales and disposing of their ballplayer relatives' momentos and memorabilia. I would NEVER sell my grandfather's medals and other possessions from WW 1, no matter how rare or valuable, so I can't understand the mentality. :(

kkkkandp 03-24-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbob (Post 978145)
I would NEVER sell my grandfather's medals and other possessions from WW 1, no matter how rare or valuable, so I can't understand the mentality. :(

Cold hard cash is a powerful motivator even in a good economy!

Shoeless Moe 03-24-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkandp (Post 978173)
Cold hard cash is a powerful motivator even in a good economy!

Good Economy?

Mark 03-24-2012 10:16 PM

I would imagine that some people who have been wanting to sell for the last five years are jumping at the faintest sign of an economic rebound.

Shoeless Moe 03-24-2012 10:27 PM

So would it stand to reason then....

if there are more people selling, and less collectors......then deals should be there for the taking this month?

Not on everything obviously, but on quite a few.

If not.....(que Conspiracy Theory).....if not, then that means auction houses are bidding up items, then winning a few, and these items will be re-listed in the relatively near future.

,,,,and in the sister/brother auction houses so they try to throw u off the track.

Time will tell.

(opening another Bud Light)

kkkkandp 03-25-2012 06:14 AM

The Point Was...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 978208)
Good Economy?

...the lure of cash is strong even when the economy is good and even stronger in an economy like this.

E93 03-25-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

+1 I fine their site painfully convoluted. I often don't bid because it is too much of a pain.
JimB