Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Giants vs. Mets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=229542)

Shoeless Moe 10-05-2016 07:56 PM

Giants vs. Mets

How many more bullsh-t calls are going to go the Mets way because MLB wants a New York team in it.

I don't like either team, I'm neutral, but this is brutal.

1st the steal, now the bad call on Bum at the plate.

Ohhhh they're trying to give this to the Mets......er.....I mean New York.

Great game hope it doesn't come down to a close call.

bravos4evr 10-05-2016 11:52 PM

complaining about umpire bias is silly. If anything Syndegaard got screwed more on low pitches than Bumgarner did.

ooo-ribay 10-06-2016 06:39 AM

Giants fan here. The steal call was definitely bad but the balls and strikes ended up evening out. Speaking of even..... :D

KCRfan1 10-06-2016 07:14 AM

Non-issue if the Mets closer hadn't have been shelled, and the Mets win.

RichardSimon 10-06-2016 08:04 AM

:(:(
From a Mets fan who was at the game.

batsballsbases 10-06-2016 09:17 AM

Couldnt have ended any better for me! Hate the Mets dont really care about the Giants, and now I become a cubs fan! So nice when your team isnt even in it!:D:D Sorry for your pain Richard! Can you say Familia! Or for that matter Connor Gillaspie! That one is going to sting for awhile.....

Iwantmorecards77 10-06-2016 09:49 AM

Ugh

...well that sucked.

On to hockey season. Go Islanders!

brookdodger55 10-06-2016 10:04 AM

The Umpires Strike zone was horrible for the mets pitchers. In the strike box is a strike
total BS
Mike

Snapolit1 10-06-2016 12:06 PM

Umpiring just seems to be getting worse and worse . . . strike zone and particularly first base, where they seem to get close plays right about 50% of the time.

ooo-ribay 10-06-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookdodger55 (Post 1591488)
The Umpires Strike zone was horrible for the mets pitchers. In the strike box is a strike
total BS
Mike

It was bad for both. How about we just let the little box call the balls and strikes?

I'm sure some of you huys remember Livan Herhandez' ridiculous 16K(?) playoff game.

bravos4evr 10-06-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1591533)
It was bad for both. How about we just let the little box call the balls and strikes?

I'm sure some of you huys remember Livan Herhandez' ridiculous 16K(?) playoff game.

the little box isn't really accurate (the one on Tv anyway) as it doesn't change size from player to player.

problems with a robot strikezone is it would kill pitching and turn baseball into a 10-9 batter's massacre every night. An unmoving, rigid K zone would be quickly learned by batters and take a lot of the swing and miss away from pitchers. Batters wouldn't have to protect away nearly as much as they do now.

pgellis 10-06-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1591539)
the little box isn't really accurate (the one on Tv anyway) as it doesn't change size from player to player.

problems with a robot strikezone is it would kill pitching and turn baseball into a 10-9 batter's massacre every night. An unmoving, rigid K zone would be quickly learned by batters and take a lot of the swing and miss away from pitchers. Batters wouldn't have to protect away nearly as much as they do now.

Not true. They can adjust the box for each player. The one you see on TV, not sure about that one. Just watched a segment of HBO Real Sports last night about the electronic strike zone and they played a game using it and all the players said that they liked it and it was seamless.
A Yale professor did a ton of research on it and his results are fascinating.
Try to catch this segment if you can.

ooo-ribay 10-06-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1591539)

I don't follow your reasoning. Pitchers would still pitch in and out, up and down and at varying speeds. Movement would still fool hitters, whether it's balls moving into or out of the strike zone. I hate when a terrible ball/strike call completely changes the complexion of an at bat.

bravos4evr 10-07-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1591654)
I don't follow your reasoning. Pitchers would still pitch in and out, up and down and at varying speeds. Movement would still fool hitters, whether it's balls moving into or out of the strike zone. I hate when a terrible ball/strike call completely changes the complexion of an at bat.

Hitters don't exactly know the strike zone from one day to the next as it moves a bit from ump to ump, this is a good thing. You give them a set, rigid K-zone and pitching will get destroyed.