Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trimmed E cards - Do they need to be graded before selling? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196937)

camlov2 11-14-2014 05:23 PM

Trimmed E cards - Do they need to be graded before selling?

I have a group of about 50 different E cards that are clearly trimmed. I am trying to decide if it would be worth having them graded Authentic before selling. I haven't seen any sales either way to tell me if they will sell for more (at least cover the grading cost) if slabbed authentic vs. a raw sale.

Interested in people's opinions on 1) do they need to be graded 2)which companies would graded them authentic/trimmed.
Here is a scan of one from each group of cards-
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...psa53c6fb2.jpg

Tao_Moko 11-14-2014 05:45 PM

You wouldn't have much trouble selling them on bst here raw.

Peter_Spaeth 11-14-2014 06:01 PM

I see no point at all in slabbing those. I don't think their value goes up at all in an authentic holder.

Econteachert205 11-14-2014 06:10 PM

I agree on not needing to slab. Anyone interested likely knows what they are looking at in this case. What they're looking at is some awesome cards btw.

brianp-beme 11-14-2014 08:53 PM

In not slab camp

Being that are so enormously trimmed I don't think you would benefit from slabbing. I agree that the BST here would be a good choice...you have a lot of knowledgeable collectors here that don't need to be told that these are the real thing. Nice cards...I know I would be interested.

Brian

bobbvc 11-14-2014 10:15 PM

Disagree- I think you would get more for the HOFer's slabbed with an A. In some cases way more.

iwantitiwinit 11-15-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbvc (Post 1344572)
Disagree- I think you would get more for the HOFer's slabbed with an A. In some cases way more.

. I agree the Wagner, Chase and Mathewson graded authentic would bring a decent premium over raw as for the others not worth the cost.

Paul S 11-15-2014 06:58 AM

My Experience

About six months ago I sold a raw (but not altered) beater E93 Wagner here on the BST. I accepted a price I was satisfied with and would have broken even had I paid for grading/shipping fees. That card was sold within a week, so I know it remained ungraded.

Later on, I sold a 40-count stack of ungraded E90-1 -- major HOFers and stars and commons -- here on the BST. Soon after, a few of them were put up for auction, raw, once again on the BST.

The remainder of that original sold stack are now appearing in the current Sterling auction (if you know my former cards, they are the ones with the holes in them:eek::)). And still, they are ungraded.

Except for certain cards I am not for or against grading, and apparently neither are the buyers or the auction house. Hope this helps.

steve B 11-15-2014 07:36 AM

I think it depends on where you want to sell them. BST - probably not worth grading any of them. Auction house- also probably not unless the auction wants to do it. Ebay - The Hofers for sure, and maybe a couple others if it's an uncommon set. I think either SGC or PSA would give them an A, and then it's just a matter of which you prefer.

Steve B

camlov2 11-15-2014 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I have been in contact with PSA and they have told me they won't be able to slab these cards as Authentic/Trimmed. I guess I will try SGC next. Interesting decision by PSA, they are the only grading company I have ever used and now this decision pushes me to try another TPG.

jbsports33 11-16-2014 12:31 PM

Try and get SGC to grade just the Matty and Wagner - talk with Sean

good luck

jimmy

Fred 11-16-2014 12:49 PM

Agree with Bob, the Mathewson and Wagner might we worth slabbing.

4815162342 11-17-2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlov2 (Post 1344633)
Thanks for the replies.

I have been in contact with PSA and they have told me they won't be able to slab these cards as Authentic/Trimmed. I guess I will try SGC next. Interesting decision by PSA, they are the only grading company I have ever used and now this decision pushes me to try another TPG.

Did they give you a reason why?

camlov2 11-17-2014 07:35 AM

their response-
"After speaking with the Grading Department, unfortunately, these are not cards that we would place in an Authentic (Altered) holder. If these cards were submitted to PSA for authentication and grading, they would simply be sent back as N5-Altered Stock."