Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   58 Aaron, real or fake? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=289657)

Oscar_Stanage 09-27-2020 04:33 PM

58 Aaron, real or fake?

2 Attachment(s)
is there anything that indicates this card is a reprint or counterfeit of some sort?

I get worried when I see a card online at a good price.

Are there any red flags on this?

Oscar_Stanage 09-27-2020 04:39 PM

Additional info:

- the seller has 100% positive, but most items are for other than cards.
- of the comments, there are only 20 in the last 12 months.
- there is no indication of "Original" or "Reprint" in the listing.

the seller has been responsive with respect to questions on the item

swarmee 09-27-2020 05:22 PM

Might be 2.5 Good+ at best, because of the tear (IMO) in the top right corner. I bet that piece will flake off.

jb67 09-27-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2021189)
- the seller has 100% positive, but most items are for other than cards.
- of the comments, there are only 20 in the last 12 months.
- there is no indication of "Original" or "Reprint" in the listing.

the seller has been responsive with respect to questions on the item

Card looks good to me. Most reprints have much better centering. The corner wear looks normal to me as well. Card looks authentic to me.

Oscar_Stanage 09-27-2020 07:01 PM

thanks,
I am convinced its real, and your comments on condition are helpful.

I thought this would grade a 4 at first, but maybe less now after the corner comments. PSA 4s have sold at an average of $115 the last month. I shared this information withe seller, asking if he has room on price (listed for $140), and the responses stopped. lol. every time i try to negotiate with an Ebay seller, they usually disappear.

bnorth 09-27-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2021233)
thanks,
I am convinced its real, and your comments on condition are helpful.

I thought this would grade a 4 at first, but maybe less now after the corner comments. PSA 4s have sold at an average of $115 the last month. I shared this information withe seller, asking if he has room on price (listed for $140), and the responses stopped. lol. every time i try to negotiate with an Ebay seller, they usually disappear.

I have had better luck with offers after they have relisted it at their insane price a couple times. Also if the listing ends without selling and they don't relist it. Some just won't sell unless they get their insane price. I am guilty of that once in a while.

jingram058 09-27-2020 07:22 PM

All my cards are "raw". I think I've gotten good at telling real from fake. There is one thing that separates real from fake very fast...the feel. Virtually all the fakes get the feel all wrong. Wrong thickness, wrong weight (yes, you can feel the difference in the weight), and too much gloss. A '58 Topps should be slightly, ever so slightly glossy on the front, and no gloss at all on the back. And finally, the actual edge of the card should be grayish, not bright white. Once you get past the feel, move on to loupe and blacklight testing. But if it passes the feel, I bet it's real!

Bigdaddy 09-28-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2021238)
But if it passes the feel, I bet it's real!

That can be said of more than just cards.

ALBB 09-29-2020 11:32 AM

aaron

Most likely probably be OK

jingram058 09-29-2020 01:35 PM

I know you have to buy it before you can get hands on, I should have said it looks real.