Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buythatcard Calling It Quits After 21 Years (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347590)

Buythatcard 03-22-2024 11:57 AM

Buythatcard Calling It Quits After 21 Years

After selling sport cards for 21 years on eBay, I have decided to finally call it quits.

I will not be listing any new cards. I still have almost 300 cards sitting out in my eBay store. Once I sell off everything, I will say goodbye to eBay. I think the process will still take me atleast 3 months.

I have listed cards everyday for 21 years. I do not believe that I have missed one day.

Business started off as a fun way to make some extra cash. I worked on it a few hours each day after working my full time job. Once I retired from my full time job 5 years ago, I spent atleast 8 hours a day on eBay.

I have met many friends through the business. Have become close with several of my customers even though I never met many of them. I have had a great time chatting on the Net54 boards. Met many people at the shows that I once attended. I have also come across some of the biggest jerks doing business on eBay.

I am planning on moving to Las Vegas to be closer to my daughter. So, I want to focus my time on searching for a new home and getting ready for the big move.

I am selling off all of my supplies at discounted prices. Check my thread in the Memorabilia group. Not sure whether I was able to list the items in this group.

It's been a great run and I am going to go through severe withdrawal symptoms.

Leon 03-22-2024 01:03 PM

Good luck in your new chapter, Howard. We'll be here if you want to come back and reminisce...

oldjudge 03-22-2024 01:47 PM

Good luck Howard! I wish you the best in your new life in Las Vegas and remember, don’t split tens.

Buythatcard 03-22-2024 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2421457)
Good luck Howard! I wish you the best in your new life in Las Vegas and remember, don’t split tens.

I don't even know how to play cards. I think I will be taking up some new hobbies.

Al C.risafulli 03-22-2024 02:11 PM

Howard:

You're one of the good guys. Best of luck to you, and congrats.

-Al

marzoumanian 03-22-2024 05:47 PM

The Right Move

You're making the right move, no pun intended!
Life is short. Take the time to smell the roses. Yes, those are cliches, I know. But the time you will spend with your daughter will mean a LOT to her, not the money you made. Peace and enjoy.

JollyElm 03-22-2024 06:52 PM

Are you 'only' a seller, or are you a collector as well? If so, will your 'calling it quits' make it easier/less stressful now to pick up stuff you want, because the driving force of re-selling cards for a profit won't be (nearly as much of) a factor anymore?

Oh, good luck to you!!

Buythatcard 03-22-2024 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2421503)
Are you 'only' a seller, or are you a collector as well? If so, will your 'calling it quits' make it easier/less stressful now to pick up stuff you want, because the driving force of re-selling cards for a profit won't be (nearly as much of) a factor anymore?

Oh, good luck to you!!

Actually started out as a collector. I collected cards and autographs back in the 60's when I was a kid. Stopped collecting after 1969 when I discovered girls were more fun.

Picked up the hobby again in 2003 and started buying cards off eBay. I then discovered that I can make money selling my collection. That's when I started Buythatcard. I sold off every card and autograph that I ever owned.

Many times I wanted to start collecting again but it was very difficult to be a seller and collector at the same time. I chose to be a Seller.

Now that I will be calling it quits soon, I have no intention of collecting again. But that remains to be seen.

Casey2296 03-22-2024 08:05 PM

Godspeed, life is incredibly short.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-23-2024 09:51 AM

Howard, best of luck. There was a time years ago, when I was a good customer and bought tons of T206's from you. I'm sure there are many similar collectors who will lament your loss on Ebay!