Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Found cards at Target (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297226)

Wimberleycardcollector 02-21-2021 03:02 PM

Found cards at Target

Dropped in to my Target yesterday and hey had Topps chrome, Heritage high numbers, Topps 70 and a few others. I was shocked to see so much baseball product. Normally I find nothing.

scmavl 02-22-2021 02:25 PM

I was passing a Target today so I decided to stop after seeing this post. They had five boxes of Heritage Hi #s and this sign:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7a2759c558.jpg

jiw98 02-22-2021 02:49 PM

The Target store by me also has purchase limits on sports cards.

Mike D. 02-22-2021 03:25 PM

Wow, “peak card” moment.

bmattioli 02-22-2021 04:44 PM

Have seen these signs for a couple months at Target.. Some even ask to ask an associate for help since they hide them behind the counter now.. They said theft is higher opening packs and taking the "hot cards"..

Wimberleycardcollector 02-22-2021 05:04 PM

My Target did have a sign for limit one of each item. I was able to pick up a Heritage High numbers box, 2021 Topps box, Topps 2021 Hanger Box and some loose Topps Chrome Packs. I was just excited to see something there after a long drought. Entire thread of empty Target shelves over on the Blowout Forum. I guess I was just there at the right time.

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 02-25-2021 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector (Post 2072209)
My Target did have a sign for limit one of each item. I was able to pick up a Heritage High numbers box, 2021 Topps box, Topps 2021 Hanger Box and some loose Topps Chrome Packs. I was just excited to see something there after a long drought. Entire thread of empty Target shelves over on the Blowout Forum. I guess I was just there at the right time.

Yeah, I lurk on Blowout and found that thread. Honestly, if I didn't see that thread, I would have no idea what's occurring at retails stores.

I think I saw cards at Target maybe twice last year...and even then it was only a few packs. If not for that thread, I just would have assumed that retail stores just aren't ordering many cards these days.

Turns out that couldn't be further from the truth. Sounds like people are camping out, hoarding, buying entire shelves worth as soon as they are stocked. Crazy.

I don't collect modern cards really, but I typically like to open a few packs every year just to see what the cards look like.

I happened to be in Target over my lunch break last Friday and saw the guy stocking the card aisle...he wasn't done and the aisle was roped off. He asked if he could get me anything, so I asked if he could give me a Series 1 blaster. He was surprised I only wanted one. I could see the shelf was FULL of baseball cards, but he said it wouldn't last long.

I was happy to have a few packs to open. I wonder how long they lasted on the shelf?

YazFenway08 02-25-2021 07:55 AM

you're not exaggerating about folks "camping out"

I stopped off at my local Target last week after dropping my daughter at school...so early morning. The "card aisle" was literally a sea of humanity...no fewer than 20 folks, sitting on the floor with snacks and backpacks waiting for the cards to arrive. The only thing I have seen similar is the opening morning queue at Wimbledon...well, maybe THAT is an exaggeration:)

slidekellyslide 02-26-2021 06:44 PM

The card flippers in my town follow the Target guy from store to store. We have 3 Targets. If I am at a Target I will look to see if they have cards, but I don't go there for cards because the shelves are always empty except for maybe some hockey cards.

Exhibitman 02-27-2021 10:11 PM

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...us%20cards.jpg

Pjere 02-28-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YazFenway08 (Post 2073276)
you're not exaggerating about folks "camping out"

I stopped off at my local Target last week after dropping my daughter at school...so early morning. The "card aisle" was literally a sea of humanity...no fewer than 20 folks, sitting on the floor with snacks and backpacks waiting for the cards to arrive. The only thing I have seen similar is the opening morning queue at Wimbledon...well, maybe THAT is an exaggeration:)

That is simply repulsive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar_Stanage 02-28-2021 06:39 PM

I’ve never even looked for cards at target , I don’t collect modern .... but I am going there tomorrow and maybe I’ll buy some stuff . What should I be looking for in baseball or other sports ?

tulsaboy 03-04-2021 08:31 AM

In my area we don't have any trouble getting baseball. The flippers are all after the shiny basketball and football. All of the Panini Prizim, Optic, Hoops etc. are gone the minute the distributors put it on the shelves. Usually the guys are standing there waiting and the distributor asks who wants what, and then hands it out evenly to anyone standing there. The flippers all know what days particular stores get stocked, so they show up and camp out. The local Targets have gotten to the point where they sometimes run them out of the store. Local Walmarts are literally having managers being paid off to go into the back before the distributors get there to grab the cases of product, which are then given to the guys making the payoffs. It's insane. I'm happy that I don't care about the football and basketball, because I can usually grab any baseball I'm interested in without much trouble. Sometimes when the baseball first comes out the flippers grab it out of habit, but pretty soon they stop. Last year I was able to get all of the Series 1, Series 2, Update and Chrome that I wanted. We've still got Chrome update on shelves, and some stores still have regular 2020 Update packs and boxes.
kevin

judsonhamlin 03-07-2021 09:59 AM

Happened to go to Target for other stuff and not only did they have the sign limiting the number of packs, they had a locked cabinet for the cards. It was empty. But locking up cards? That's a new one on me.

YazFenway08 03-07-2021 11:09 AM

At one of my local Walgreens, they had one blister pack of 2021 topps

It was hanging, encased in its own individual plastic box with a locking mechanism. The same kind of cubes you see at Best Buy when buying electronics. The lady who checked me out said they had to do this to stop the rampant theft. It was a $9 pack...

It seems I have stumbled into some sort of strange alternate reality...

yanks12025 03-07-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judsonhamlin (Post 2077887)
Happened to go to Target for other stuff and not only did they have the sign limiting the number of packs, they had a locked cabinet for the cards. It was empty. But locking up cards? That's a new one on me.

Stores should actually do that and make you pay right away. I've come across situations where people opened the packs in the store and took the good cards.

judsonhamlin 03-07-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 2077928)
Stores should actually do that and make you pay right away. I've come across situations where people opened the packs in the store and took the good cards.

Fantastic. And the score remains Asshattery 1, Decency nil