Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1978 Topps Trammell/Molitor rookie printing issues? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333874)

Hollywood42 04-07-2023 07:05 AM

1978 Topps Trammell/Molitor rookie printing issues?

I've recently begun shopping around for a copy of the '78 Topps Trammell/Molitor rookie card, and I've noticed what seems to be a really common issue of the bottom of the card around the red outline above "rookie shortstops" being pretty noticeably unclean. I've pulled a few pictures from eBay listings as examples below. Each of the 3 images I used were PSA graded copies, and had gotten grades up to a 7, so it doesn't seem like it's something that severely limits the grade potential

Some examples of this almost look like residue from the gum that was in these packs? But I'm kind of thinking this is more an ink bleed or wet ink dripping issue from printing imperfections. I'm curious if anyone knows the source of this, because it looks to be very common with this card

https://i.imgur.com/Garg385h.jpg

brad31 04-07-2023 07:18 AM

Interested to hear what some of the knowledgeable people on here say. The card is plagued with print issues - the red bleeds, the black bleeds, the ink smears, it is definitely a tough card. I have no idea why and am interested to learn. The other 4 player rookies don’t have this as far as I know.

JollyElm 04-07-2023 01:41 PM

Just thought I'd add this for some giggles...

290. Klutts/Washington Extrapolation
The huge increase in value that a 1978 Topps Rookie Shortstops #707 card will surely attain if another one of the players pictured on it finds his way into the Hall of Fame.

D. Bergin 04-07-2023 01:46 PM

When all other forms of finger-pointing fail...blame it on the Klutts.

:cool:

Mike D. 04-07-2023 02:53 PM

Do we know where on the printing plate these were? My guess would be "at a spot that gets hit pretty hard with a roller after inking"

Hollywood42 04-07-2023 03:19 PM

I did just a little poking around at a few other key cards from the set, and didn't seem to find a huge pattern of this. It's kinda strange

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad31 (Post 2330230)
Interested to hear what some of the knowledgeable people on here say. The card is plagued with print issues - the red bleeds, the black bleeds, the ink smears, it is definitely a tough card. I have no idea why and am interested to learn. The other 4 player rookies don’t have this as far as I know.

It's not too late for Washington to add 60 career WAR, right??

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2330325)
Just thought I'd add this for some giggles...

290. Klutts/Washington Extrapolation
The huge increase in value that a 1978 Topps Rookie Shortstops #707 card will surely attain if another one of the players pictured on it finds his way into the Hall of Fame.

That could explain it. If that is the case, I'd be interested to know what the cards on either side of this one on the printing sheet were to see if those suffer similar issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2330348)
Do we know where on the printing plate these were? My guess would be "at a spot that gets hit pretty hard with a roller after inking"

D. Bergin 04-07-2023 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood42 (Post 2330354)

It's not too late for Washington to add 60 career WAR, right??

U.L. may never get into the HOF, but his toothpick might.

https://sports.yahoo.com/column-dust...124500810.html

insidethewrapper 04-08-2023 07:09 PM

This Trammell/Moitor duel Rookie HOF card does often appear with these smudge marks. This card was at the bottom ( last line) of the printing sheet. On the left of this card was # 415 Ray Fosse and to the right was # 537 Bruce Bochte. See sheets at Robert Edwards Auctions Archives.

Hollywood42 04-09-2023 11:30 AM

Great sleuthing. Interestingly, after an initial pass on eBay listings of the Fosse and Bochte, it does not appear that either of those have the smudging type issue that the Trammell/Molitor has. I have no new findings to report other than that, but hopefully someone can help continue to fill in the blanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2330651)
This Trammell/Moitor duel Rookie HOF card does often appear with these smudge marks. This card was at the bottom ( last line) of the printing sheet. On the left of this card was # 415 Ray Fosse and to the right was # 537 Bruce Bochte. See sheets at Robert Edwards Auctions Archives.

Zach Wheat 04-09-2023 07:09 PM

The initial printing error came from a fingerprint that was left on the original printing mask. Topps apparently tried to correct the fingerprint which led to a lot of successive smudged cards. Most cards have some sort of smudged failed clean up attempt and a few will actually have the fingerprint. I have several Trammel / Molitor rookies...will try to find a fingerprint example. It is very difficult to find a perfectly clean example

brad31 04-10-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2330828)
The initial printing error came from a fingerprint that was left on the original printing mask. Topps apparently tried to correct the fingerprint which led to a lot of successive smudged cards. Most cards have some sort of smudged failed clean up attempt and a few will actually have the fingerprint. I have several Trammel / Molitor rookies...will try to find a fingerprint example. It is very difficult to find a perfectly clean example

Thanks so much for this info.

Kutcher55 04-10-2023 11:06 AM

This is not the only issue from the era that has these sort of issues. The 1975 Mini Keith Hernandez RC has a similar problem.

steve B 04-10-2023 12:28 PM

Being an edge of the sheet card and somewhere towards the middle, it's also in a prime spot to be smudged by the press operator whn a sheet is removed for inspection, or when cards not fully dried get restacked for the next color/colors

Hollywood42 04-11-2023 04:41 PM

Fascinating - thank you very much for the info! Is there any other documentation out there about this issue with various cards over the years? Would be a fun read. Also would love to see if you come up with a good fingerprint example of this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2330828)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kutcher55 (Post 2330959)
This is not the only issue from the era that has these sort of issues. The 1975 Mini Keith Hernandez RC has a similar problem.

HittinLikeCarew 04-13-2023 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m definitely not knowledgeable, but I pulled my copy I had as a kid from the early 80’s and no smudging. That may be the only “good thing” it has going for it though. :o