Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Simmons Jeter plaques (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=312942)

theshleps 01-01-2022 03:46 PM

Simmons Jeter plaques

Does anyone know why hof signed plaques of Simmons and Jeter seem not to exist? Never seen this with previous inductees

felada 01-01-2022 03:54 PM

I thought jeter signed some as part of the mlb alumni signing he did in Aug and September

Wrightfan85 01-01-2022 04:11 PM

Haven't seen any of those two either. Covid probably is one of the reasons.

MGHPro 01-02-2022 07:54 AM

There were a few Jeter plaques on eBay last week .

dgo71 01-02-2022 12:14 PM

There's a Jeter up now for a ridiculous $1495. He was $800 I think for non-RC flats at his last private signing and I emailed to confirm the plaques fell into that category. They do. The signing price may tick up slightly but Jeter will do a signing or two and these will start to become more readily available. Same with Simmons, he just hasn't done any signings since the plaques were issued. Give it a little time.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-02-2022 04:22 PM

With plaques, patience is nearly always a virtue, but we always remember Kirby Puckett and our eagerness kicks into overdrive. And who can forget Campy and all the things we should have forked over the money to have signed instead of the humdrum 8X10s and other pedestrian fare.

It felt like it took forever for Griffey plaques to be signed and nearly the same for Piazza, but they're around now.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-02-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 2181248)
There's a Jeter up now for a ridiculous $1495. He was $800 I think for non-RC flats at his last private signing and I emailed to confirm the plaques fell into that category. They do. The signing price may tick up slightly but Jeter will do a signing or two and these will start to become more readily available. Same with Simmons, he just hasn't done any signings since the plaques were issued. Give it a little time.

$1495 is somewhat ridiculous, yet somewhat not. From the seller's perspective, he has his $800 outlay. Jeter signings won't likely be a regular occurrence and it's doubtful they'll get any cheaper. After his fees, taxes, etc., the seller is trying for a markup in the 40-50% range. I can't say as I begrudge him. It costs money to sit on $800 items. Jeter's signing was limited to a certain number of items, so the possibility of having a bunch of plaques signed to do a quick flip with much thinner profit margins just wasn't there.

I just hope that a $1495 Jeter plaque doesn't sound like a "bargain" a few years from now.

dgo71 01-02-2022 07:03 PM

Fair point, and I'm not judging the seller for asking what he wants. He does have best offer enabled so who knows what his actual price is. The word "ridiculous" is used as a reflection of my opinion of the price, not the seller. Just to be clear.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-02-2022 07:29 PM

Rest assured, I understood and actually share your feelings to a great extent. :) I haven't even seen the exact item to which you refer and have no idea who the seller may be. Only speaking in general terms for such a situation where the signing fees are this high to begin with. I'd likely be asking a similar amount if I was trying to sell one. Thankfully for us all, there are so many more historically interesting autographs to enjoy without having to resort solely to illegible scribbles that were signed for the express purpose of being a valuable commodity.

dgo71 01-02-2022 10:54 PM

I also agree with your sentiment re: Campy and the like. My greatest hobby regret was saving up and coming up about $50 short of sending in his HOF plaque. :( I'm really close on gold plaques now so believe me, I hovered over the "best offer" button on that Jeter for a minute or two. I decided that I will take my chances of getting one at the next signing he does, hopefully signed in Sharpie and not steadtler or however it's spelled. It's always cool adding a new name to the want list but it can definitely be nerve racking at the same time!

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-03-2022 06:17 AM

I can't for the life of me understand why far more plaque collectors weren't willing to shell out for Campy at the time. It's not like they had the option to pay less to have them signed! You see the odd Perez Steele signed by Campy, but where are the plaques? It's confounding. There have always been more plaque collectors than those who are trying to complete the base Perez Steele set, so I'll never comprehend it. There rightly should be at least 250 more signed Campy plaques out there than we've seen. That's just a guess at a number, but as an estimate, it's far from out of line.

The lack of Puckett plaques makes far more sense, in that he was a much younger man and everyone thought he had way more time to sign. Everyone was just waiting for a cheaper option to happen down the line, but fate decided to intervene.

mrmopar 01-03-2022 07:05 PM

I have to really wonder what becomes of autograph collecting in the near distant future. more and more signatures are scribbled that are illegible. Any decent superstar makes $100s of millions and can't be bothered to sign for fans outside of crazy steep prices.

The new breed does like the new, shiny stuff and the high end autographs, but how long can that sustain? I saw a facebook group where someone asked for people to post their oldest card, their favorite and their most expensive. the answers were a bit shocking, then I realized that I wasn't all that shocked by it. Most oldest cards were 50s at best. I didn't scroll through all the answers, but the majority were 70s and newer! Favorite is irrelevant, but most expensive was almost entirely new issue, high end inserts. Lebron, Trout, Brady, etc.

Will the future collectors appreciate the older stuff when it reenters the market, as i am assuming most of it is tied up in older collections. Will they value it highly? Future buyer: Ohtani or Ruth auto...same price, hmmm, what to do, what to do???

David Atkatz 01-03-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 2181248)

$800 for Jeter to sign? F*#k him.

David Atkatz 01-03-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 2181761)
Will the future collectors appreciate the older stuff when it reenters the market, as i am assuming most of it is tied up in older collections. Will they value it highly? Future buyer: Ohtani or Ruth auto...same price, hmmm, what to do, what to do???

People still call the best in a field the "Babe Ruth" of that field.
That will never, ever happen with Jeter. (Shit, he wasn't the best shortstop even when he was playing.)
Babe Ruth will always be a mystical name.

jimjim 01-03-2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 2181350)
With plaques, patience is nearly always a virtue, but we always remember Kirby Puckett and our eagerness kicks into overdrive. And who can forget Campy and all the things we should have forked over the money to have signed instead of the humdrum 8X10s and other pedestrian fare.

It felt like it took forever for Griffey plaques to be signed and nearly the same for Piazza, but they're around now.

Puckett did a number of signings after his HOF induction. But very few people wanted to pay $75-85 to get a postcard plaque signed at the time.