Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Credit cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292630)

Snapolit1 11-30-2020 03:56 PM

Credit cards

Why would an auction house not take credit cards? I know that it’s a lot more palatable sometimes to throw an unplanned buy on a credit card? Obvously there is a fee, so set your buyers premium at whatever, and then offer a discount for check, etc.

Is there some other reason not to take cards? Maybe I am missing something.

rats60 11-30-2020 04:02 PM

Charge backs. Banks/Credit Card companies are very buyer friendly. Some auction houses do accept credit cards. Some have a limit of how much you can put on a credit card.

slightlyrounded 11-30-2020 04:03 PM

Fees and probably the prospect of chargebacks should disputes arise. CC provider would almost certainly side with the buyer, even if auction house did everything according to well laid-out terms.

edhans 12-01-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 2040388)
Charge backs. Banks/Credit Card companies are very buyer friendly.

This.

Johnny630 12-01-2020 08:00 AM

Returns and Charge Backs....altered cards in holders possible.

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-01-2020 11:44 AM

Definitely charge backs for me. As a small company if I got hit with a big charge back after I had already paid the consignor it could be disastrous. We do accept them for purchases under $2000.

sando69 12-01-2020 12:12 PM

Steve...

when i first read your post, i thot perhaps it was motivated by net54 member scott russell's (aquarian sports cards/birmingham auctioneers) VERY generous policy of accepting cc's WITHOUT any surcharge.
in addition to being a passionate hobbyist, and vocal participant on our board, scott is a class act with a high degree of integrity.
trying not to minimize my respect & appreciation for all the other quality auction options we have, by accepting cc's, scott offers me one more reason to support his efforts.
he is the antithesis of a "crazy uncle."

Leon 12-03-2020 04:44 PM

One way or another the answer is almost always money. :)

Snapolit1 12-03-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2040651)
Definitely charge backs for me. As a small company if I got hit with a big charge back after I had already paid the consignor it could be disastrous. We do accept them for purchases under $2000.

Yeah, that has to give you pause. I know the crowd here is above board, but no doubt scammers out there as anywhere else. Buyers remorse and all of a sudden some gripe suddenly materializes about the write up, the photos, etc.

Oscar_Stanage 12-03-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sando69 (Post 2040667)
when i first read your post, i thot perhaps it was motivated by net54 member scott russell's (aquarian sports cards/birmingham auctioneers) VERY generous policy of accepting cc's WITHOUT any surcharge.
in addition to being a passionate hobbyist, and vocal participant on our board, scott is a class act with a high degree of integrity.
trying not to minimize my respect & appreciation for all the other quality auction options we have, by accepting cc's, scott offers me one more reason to support his efforts.
he is the antithesis of a "crazy uncle."

Birmingham is an incredible place to do business. Scott knows how treat his buyers. Trust is everything, particularly in the collectible world. If i need to write a check, I'll write a check.